Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended mag button for Shadow 2?

YVK

Did a site search and Google search. Found a couple of options for mag pedals but don't know if different  from OEM.

Yesterday I failed to activate mag button twice in one match. I take it as a user error, probably too much tension in strong hand. I also use a wide thumb safety, so a little extra work to get to mag release. That said, I've been on this gun for a few years now and work reloads regularly. I am probably as good as I can be now and I am not aversive to look for a hardware help. Anybody knows of extended mag releases or mag release pedals for me to try?

Edited by YVK
typos

Ha! I saw that they were making them paddles but didn't look close enough to find the extended one. Going to try both solutions, paddle on one gun and reduced power spring on another. Not sure if paddle will work with my custom thicker grips though but we'll see.

Rob, since you already have the experience, is there any specific spring or spring poundage that you'd recommend?

On 10/14/2021 at 7:51 PM, YVK said:

Ha! I saw that they were making them paddles but didn't look close enough to find the extended one. Going to try both solutions, paddle on one gun and reduced power spring on another. Not sure if paddle will work with my custom thicker grips though but we'll see.

Rob, since you already have the experience, is there any specific spring or spring poundage that you'd recommend?

I don't think they are rated at different rates, just "reduced" at least the Cesar-shop ones I have in my guns. 

On 10/10/2021 at 11:31 PM, YVK said:

Yesterday I failed to activate mag button twice in one match.

Failed to activate, or pushed too hard and bound the mag? It can be hard to tell exactly what happened after the fact. 

With match adrenaline I had issues with the latter, bending the spring so you can only push the release so far was the fix for me.

I have just figured that ^^^ out. It does help. Interestingly, I was able to undo that button screw without effort on my main gun, and I was unable to unscrew it at all on my backup. Main gun has a few thou rounds more and has been run harder; I presume more heat and vibrations. I guess I need to shoot my backup gun more.

I did install Eemann reduced catch spring in my backup gun. Certainly feels lighter but I think mag catch angle is more important for me. May still put the reduced spring in main gun too. It was kind of a bitch to do though as I couldn't figure out how to put the trigger bar support spring back without removing the trigger bar / trigger assembly. Which means I had to take out the sear cage too. In retrospect, may be that support spring would've gone in from below.

On a separate note, as I was browsing Eemann's site, I found that thumb rest  slide stop and couldn't resist...Feel a little dirty now. Walking it off saying aloud "don't blame the gamer, blame the game".  We'll see if it does anything. I have just tried LOK brass grips and found no difference on timer.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:34 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

Failed to activate, or pushed too hard and bound the mag? It can be hard to tell exactly what happened after the fact. 

With match adrenaline I had issues with the latter, bending the spring so you can only push the release so far was the fix for me.

I am  sure it was failure to activate. I wasn't hyper amped and it also was a coldest match day on the year. That said, after just installing the mag catch spring and examining catch itself, I am not sure if I can bind up the mag by pushing too hard. Each leg has its own individual slot and there's metal between those slots. Seems like it would serve the same function as bending the opposite leg in. 

Edited by YVK

you can't over press a Shadow 2 mag catch like you can a Shadow, as @YVKstates the mag catch has individual slots for the spring legs unlike the big slot the regular mag catch has. Bending a leg on the Shadow 2 MCS will simply result in it being more difficult to put in the mag catch and won't make any difference to how far in the button can be pressed. 

7 hours ago, slavex said:

ahhhh you did what????? whyyyyyy lol. That's a shame dude!

The 2's look nicer and I think are a fine gun, but the original shadows (sp01) point naturally for me, from the draw with the 2 I was duck hunting. 

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

The 2's look nicer and I think are a fine gun, but the original shadows (sp01) point naturally for me, from the draw with the 2 I was duck hunting. 

You guys are really making me want to try the OG Shadow.  I've been shooting a Shadow 2 and I really miss the nice thin grip of my Single Stack, especially on the double action shot.

On 10/22/2021 at 10:37 PM, YVK said:

I have just figured that ^^^ out. It does help. Interestingly, I was able to undo that button screw without effort on my main gun, and I was unable to unscrew it at all on my backup. Main gun has a few thou rounds more and has been run harder; I presume more heat and vibrations. I guess I need to shoot my backup gun more.

I did install Eemann reduced catch spring in my backup gun. Certainly feels lighter but I think mag catch angle is more important for me. May still put the reduced spring in main gun too. It was kind of a bitch to do though as I couldn't figure out how to put the trigger bar support spring back without removing the trigger bar / trigger assembly. Which means I had to take out the sear cage too. In retrospect, may be that support spring would've gone in from below.

On a separate note, as I was browsing Eemann's site, I found that thumb rest  slide stop and couldn't resist...Feel a little dirty now. Walking it off saying aloud "don't blame the gamer, blame the game".  We'll see if it does anything. I have just tried LOK brass grips and found no difference on timer.

I am  sure it was failure to activate. I wasn't hyper amped and it also was a coldest match day on the year. That said, after just installing the mag catch spring and examining catch itself, I am not sure if I can bind up the mag by pushing too hard. Each leg has its own individual slot and there's metal between those slots. Seems like it would serve the same function as bending the opposite leg in. 

I use the catch on the most upright setting as well. I use reduced power on my Open guns. 

How you clock the springs also changes the spring stiffness. 

The thumbrest slide stop didn’t work for me and actually worsened my recoil control because it’s not mounted forward as far as I normally leverage my weak thumb. So it was a loss of function for me as opposed to the TSO where it’s mounted quite a bit forward of the rotation axis. 

I recently switched my extended mag release button that I have installed on my SP01 to the farthest up position and hitting it is alot more natural now. It's crazy how that small of an adjustment can make a huge difference.