Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

universal decapping on an xl750, processing, over processing, or just obsessing

I'm new to this game and while we all wait for primers to become available, I'm trying to get as many cycles thru my new xl750 without over working my brass (plus I think it a good practice to decap prior to tumbling/cleaning).  Previously I've been decapping 9mm brass with a pin punch chucked into my drill press, but that method doesn't work too well with 223 cartridges, so I picked up a Lyman Universal Decapping Die.

What I've been troubleshooting is that about 3% of my recent range pickup aren't decapping ... What I'm starting to think is happening is that the anvil in the primer is binding up on the tip of the pin and pulling the primer back into the cartridge and being re-seated back into the cartridge.  As I mentioned I'm new to all this and the xl750 is brand new ... I need to get a feel for all of it's nuances.  The decapping pin extends quite far out the base of the die, the die is adjusted to just touch the shell plate, and I being obsessive not to short stroke the press, and press forward fully as if to seat non-existent primers (although I guess I'm reseating a few ...). The not_decapped cartridge is one of a couple that hung up the press between stage 1 and 2.  I know setting up a single stage for brass prep is probably a better use of the Dillon's cycles, but hey it what I've got ... am I over processing of simply obsessing?

Thanks for letting me vent ...

lyman_u-die.jpg

not_decapped.jpg

24 minutes ago, Guy Neill said:

Pulling the primer back into the pocket is a known situation.

Usually, rounding the decapping pin tip slightly can eliminate, or at least minimize, the problem.

Indeed. Do a search for primer suck back or primer sticking to decapping pin and several threads should pop up.

Thank You for the validation of the issue.  I see now that there even 'specialty' decapping dies used primarily with automation systems where this issue could cause some catastrophic hickups ...  At least I'm not 'nuts'

10 hours ago, afm380 said:

Thank You for the validation of the issue.  I see now that there even 'specialty' decapping dies used primarily with automation systems where this issue could cause some catastrophic hickups ...  At least I'm not 'nuts'

Not nuts at all. It's one of the reasons that automated users often use a two pass strategy where they decap on the first pass so that there are no issues (less issues?) on the loading pass.

17 hours ago, afm380 said:

What I've been troubleshooting is that about 3% of my recent range pickup aren't decapping ... What I'm starting to think is happening is that the anvil in the primer is binding up on the tip of the pin and pulling the primer back into the cartridge and being re-seated back into the cartridge.

FW Arms makes a great universal decapping die.  I just used it to process about 4000 223 casings with zero ringers or sucked back primers.  It has an excellent design that prevents these issues.  They are designed with automated presses in mind that they also help center the casing before decapping takes place.  They work better than any other decapping/sizing die I have used.  Maybe check them out. 

THANKS Again Guys ...  It looks like adding a small flat to one edge of my decapping pin has rectified the issue (at least for the first run of 100).  I also like the looks of the Mighty Armory die, and I see they have a nice decap/swage kit that I may invest in, once I decide (talk the lady into the need of another press) to move case prep off the Dillon.  I guess one other quick question would be ... towards keeping the decapping pin extended on the sizing die, as it 'might' help with centering the case but also catch a rogue primer (although if those are getting thru case inspection I need to take up another hobby).

Thanks Again for your validation ...

Edited by afm380

1 hour ago, afm380 said:

...  I guess one other quick question would be use keeping the decapping pin extended on the sizing die, as it 'might' help with centering the case but also catch a rogue primer (although if those are getting thru case inspection I need to take up another hobby).

Not a direct answer to your question perhaps but...

I use the FW arms decapping die on my processing tool head and then I have a Lee sizing/decapping die on my loading tool head to size as well as catch any primers I missed.

3 hours ago, afm380 said:

THANKS Again Guys ...  It looks like adding a small flat to one edge of my decapping pin has rectified the issue (at least for the first run of 100).  I also like the looks of the Mighty Armory die, and I see they have a nice decap/swage kit that I may invest in, once I decide (talk the lady into the need of another press) to move case prep off the Dillon.  I guess one other quick question would be ... towards keeping the decapping pin extended on the sizing die, as it 'might' help with centering the case but also catch a rogue primer (although if those are getting thru case inspection I need to take up another hobby).

I’d rather have the FW Arms Primer Popper Decapper and Auto-centering Swage dies instead of the Mighty Armory dies. They’re better and cheaper too. I haven’t have any problems with them processing thousands of 9mm and .223 brass.

Edited by George16

Another 100 processed without an issue with the ever so slight decapping pin modification (I do need to get out of this bad habit of cycling the press while on a conference calls with the day job ...).  It sure is nice to have a smooth running press, and getting used to all of it's nuances.  I can even detect the subtle difference between the case dropping onto station 1 and a spent primer ... even when they are almost simultaneous.  I believe getting this 'feel' is essential.

Thanks Again 

• 1 month later...