Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1100 excess powder spillage help.

35 minutes ago, Cuz said:

For those of you using the Arredondo shell stabilizer, how well is it working for you?

Cuz:

I forgot to mention that I purchased an Arredondo stabilizer initially.  Problem was the dies overhead were hitting/tearing it since it sits higher than the shellplate and the dies were adjusted to touch the shellplate at full stroke.  To use it, I would have had to raise those dies up high enough to clear.  Not being familiar with doing that, I just decided to use the zip ties instead.

Zip ties have worked perfectly!

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

Hogrider,

when I watched the video I didn’t think I was going that fast. But, as with shooting, the timer doesn’t lie, so I broke out my timer app and checked. Best I can tell from watching and timing different sections of the video is that he is cycling the press at a rate of 6.5 cycles / 10 seconds. Then 12.5 cycles / 20 seconds, and then again at  18 cycles / 30 seconds. So, 18 cycles/30 sec = 36/minute = a rate of 2160/hour. 

When I experienced all my spillage, I was timing my rate at 40 cycles/minute which equals a rate of 2400/hour, so, yes, I was going faster than he was going in the video. 

I will research that Arredondo stabilizer, but will probably try the zip ties first since I have some. I will most likely also slow down a bit and save the high speed yanking for when I’m just processing brass. 

So... You were loading 100 rounds in 2.5 minutes? Good grief dude, if I ran mine that hard I'd be knee deep in powder 😜. At any rate, I was getting some powder sloshing, just a tad, loading 223 even slowing down considerably while indexing. A zip tie after the powder drop helped quite a bit, but the Dillon shell plate seems very sloppy. This is 223 however, I haven't loaded 9 on mine yet.

2 hours ago, highxj said:

So... You were loading 100 rounds in 2.5 minutes? Good grief dude, if I ran mine that hard I'd be knee deep in powder 😜. At any rate, I was getting some powder sloshing, just a tad, loading 223 even slowing down considerably while indexing. A zip tie after the powder drop helped quite a bit, but the Dillon shell plate seems very sloppy. This is 223 however, I haven't loaded 9 on mine yet.

Actually, it was closer to 100 rounds in 2.75 minutes. Well under 3 minutes and WAY too fast. 

My new plan is to slow down and try to mimic the stroke of the auto drives and add in some dwell time and smooth things out. Yanking the handle like I was back on my RL550 is NOT the way to go…

1 hour ago, AHI said:

900+ includes adding primers ,bullets, cases and powder if /when needed. I pull the handle 35ish times a minute. 

If loading major I go slower.   

Gotcha, so at 35/min your load rate would be about 2100/hour, but with the necessary pauses, your throughput is about 900 rounds per hour. 
I need to stop keeping track of this s#!t. When I start the timer, I naturally go into “competition mode” and try to beat the previous time. 

Completely unrelated, but as a new 1100 operator like some on this thread, I've found it helpful and less tiresome to shorten the length of the handle. It's completely unnecessary to have so much leverage when loading processed brass. The lock screw holds it in place no problem without the divot. Sorry about the drift. 

Waiting for delivery today of the Reloading Innovation spill stop kit. 

20210923_121929~01.jpg

3 minutes ago, highxj said:

Completely unrelated, but as a new 1100 operator like some on this thread, I've found it helpful and less tiresome to shorten the length of the handle. It's completely unnecessary to have so much leverage when loading processed brass. The lock screw holds it in place no problem without the divot. Sorry about the drift. 

20210923_121929~01.jpg

That’s an interesting tip, I may give it a try. Let us know how the spill stop kit works out for you. I’m going to try the zip tie method first before exploring other options. 

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

That’s an interesting tip, I may give it a try. Let us know how the spill stop kit works out for you. I’m going to try the zip tie method first before exploring other options. 

Initial observation, running empty cases through, they just come to a dead stop. ZERO wiggle. I think they will work great at minimizing spillage. I'll keep the zip tie on to control wobble between stations.

6 hours ago, highxj said:

20210923_121929~01.jpg

This is interesting - Gonna have to give this a try also…If it works for my old shoulder I will drill a small divet into my handle and create a fourth position….Thanks for posting this picture…. 

On 9/21/2021 at 9:17 PM, Cuz said:

It seems my manually operated press is spilling powder everywhere. After thoroughly cleaning the press, the attached pic is of my shell plate after loading 100 rounds.  Yes, just 100 rounds!  What is going wrong?

I’m using TightGroup and dropping 3.6 grains so the cases are barely half full. Randomly weighed charges are all between 3.50 and 3.70 which I think is acceptable. Scale is accurate to 0.02 grains. I’m using the Mr. Bullet Feeder powder funnel, and One Shot case lube so there is very little sticking. Brass is dry tumbled clean and pre-processed to deprime and size. 

All advice is greatly appreciated. I will give Dillon a call later in the week, but am hopeful someone here can help. 

Thanks,

Cuz

704063BE-9897-4567-A310-AE262F6F23F6.jpeg

Just from the pic here, I can see that your shell plate is way too loose. 

1 hour ago, Johnnymazz said:

Theres also no need for cable ties on the side to stop the wiggle. If your machine is properly timed and adjusted. Stay away from any of the add on goodies companies sell.

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny,

”stay away from the add on goodies”???

How can you possibly not “accessorize” a new toy after you get it?  I know I can’t. What the heck do you think I do between the time I place an order and the item arrives at my door?  I seek out just about every possible accessory/gizmo/dohicky/etc  that I can find and try to decide whether or not I “need” it. I just can’t help myself, and I have boxes and boxes of these “upgrades” that ended being a waste of time, but I still haven’t learned my lesson. You should see my holster and gun parts boxes!  They are overflowing. 

I admit most add-on goodies are unnecessary, but some are downright worth their weight in gold. After all, isn’t the Mr. Bullet Feeder an add-on accessory?

All kidding aside, I do get, and agree with your point. I can’t recall how loose the shell plate was in the pic, but I do know that I discovered I wasn’t tightening it enough and after that mess was cleaned up I did tighten it up so there was almost no up/down flex. 

I did install the zip ties, because I had them, and I just couldn’t help myself. It was either that or I would have ordered the Arredondo shell stabilizer, so they saved me $20 for now. 
I loaded about 400 rounds last night at a much slower pace (approx 20/min) and there was virtually no spillage at all, maybe a total of 4 powder flakes total. 

So, it was probably a combo of the loose shell plate and yanking the handle too fast. I’ll continue to observe and see how it goes.