Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mac Browser Speed W/new Forum Software

benos

After the Forum software upgrade, the pages seem to load slower in Safari. Anyone else notice this?

Camino seems to load the pages noticeably faster than Safari, with Firefox right behind Camino. But Camino and Firefox each have a bug which make both a little irritating. The Spell Catcher application is super buggy in Camino (I found out it's an issue with Camino) and "where the cursor really is" in the text entry field of Firefox is buggy (and somewhat irritating) as well.

Mac 10.3.9

Camino v1.0a1

Firefox 1.0.6

Safari 1.3 (v312)

If you post regarding Mac/Safari, please note if your 10.3.x, or Tiger. (Which will indicate which version of Safari.)

Thank you,

be

Runnin' 10.4.3 (got nuttin' but a server running old panter' anymore)

Safari is the slowest browser taking approximately twice as long as Firefox, or Camino to render same page on a reload with cache cleared. FireFox and Camino are about tied at maybe twice as fast as Safari. Opera 7.4 and Netscape 7.2 are the fastest rendering at about 50% faster again.

My wife swears by Netscape in OSX and won't use Safari for anything but Zap2it TV schedules because it renders the schedule perfectly whereas only Opera and IE 5.2 (yuck) also do. Opera has ad's and we won't talk about using IE 5.2 in X ;-)

I still prefer Safari as the best/most accurate rendering browser out there, bar none, on any platform PERIOD

But remember, if you web design, always test it all in IE on XP as 90 percent of the world is stuck there. BTW, IE on Windoze XP has trouble with transparency in the the new PNG24 image format and that sux hind teat because PNG24 is cool ;-/

In OS 10.3.9 running Safari 1.3.1 I get it crashing quite frequently while on this site. Besides that, it doesn't seem any faster or slower. :ph34r:

Interesting. I can't remember the forum ever crashing with 10.3.9 and Safari 1.3. Maybe that's a good reason to not do the 1.3.1 update, which is setting on my desktop.

Thanks G.

I haven't compared Netscape to Firefox/Camino, but will in a moment.

be

Cullen, go into /Users/"yourusernamehere'/Library/Preferences/ and put the file named "com.apple.Safari.plist" in the trash. Restart the machine and see if that fixes it.

Alternatively, if that doesn't work, create a new admin level user, login as that user and try safari there. If that works fine, you have a corrupted user shell and the solution is to use root user to drag all your stuff into a new user shell and walk away from the old shell and it's pref set. PM me if you need to go this route and I will work you through it.

Other wise you may need to startup in Single User Mode and do a file system check at the root prompt: type in "fsck -fy" and hit return if no errors are found type "reboot" and hit return. If errors are found, reboot and run fsck in SUM again until it passes.

BTW Command S on startup puts you into SUM. Just release the keys right as white text on black starts to flow (about 5 seconds after you get the normal startup grey screen).

If you have the X install CD and all the above don't do it for ya', A user data backup and a disk wipe and OSX re-install are in order. Safari should not quit regularly on anything unless your machine is having trouble keeping up. How much RAM ya got in this beastie? Too little RAM can make some apps act hinky, especially with the un derpowered G3 machines.

Brian, Wait till you check out Opera, if it weren't for the ads, I would probably use it in preference to anything other than Safari (still my overall fave).

Interesting. I can't remember the forum ever crashing with 10.3.9 and Safari 1.3. Maybe that's a good reason to not do the 1.3.1 update, which is setting on my desktop.

Why muck around with 1.3.1 ? Just go to 2.0.2 and upgrade OS-X at the same time, I've not had a single problem using Safari and any web-site that I visit.

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space. :P

Why muck around with 1.3.1 ? Just go to 2.0.2 and upgrade OS-X at the same time, I've not had a single problem using Safari and any web-site that I visit.

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space. :P

Thanks, but I'm not planning on going to Tiger yet because the Carbon Copy Cloner app doesn't work with Tiger.

be

Carbon Copy Cloner app doesn't work with Tiger

The latest download of CCC V 2.3 does work with Tiger, but only if you remove all vestiges of a previous version of CCC first (all prefs and support dependencies). Otherwise it won't do the authentication required. I have been cloning Tiger builds successfully two ways. Using CCC 2.3 from a Panther build, or CCC 2.3 newly installed in a clean Tiger build.

No reason not to go forward now Brian ;-)

Well, I did what you said (everything 'cept creating a new Admin level as it wouldn't let me do that) and nothing showed up as problematic (nothing was reported as out of order in SUM). I had problems with not only Safari crashing, but also with my computer crashing. 640M RAM G4 iBook. My mom's also had problems with Safari crashing (newer G4 iBook also with 512M RAM). I think it's time to buckle down and make the switch to Tiger.

Then again, someone at Apple might be hacking into my computer and futzing with things as there were a few times when the crashes were first happening that I indicated that the people working on Safari were Microsoft's idiot children in the comment field of the bug reports.

Edited by 300lbGorilla

Cullen, it sounds kinda like nothing less will do for you than an Archive install of Panther from the CD and a careful dependencie drag and drop from the Previous System folder generated by the Archive Installer.

The way I would do it if I were going to Tiger would be to clone the machine to a FW drive, then do a complete wipe install of Tiger on the HD. Then when Tiger prompts you to import from an older system using the new Migration Assistant", use the FW drive as though it was a FW Target Mode machine. Bam! Everything back in place in your data and user environment along with a full clone drive on the side to look through if you think something isn't there (always been 100% for me this way so far).

Make sure you boot a different machine to the clone FW drive first to verify the clone before doing the erase and install on any machine. I also like to have a drag-n-drop copy of my home folder on a 2nd external drive before I do anything like this just in case the FW drive clone spat it's guts before I got it back in place user data-wise.

This will give you all new OS and Apple apps along with the previous installed base of 3rd party apps but in a nicely defragged way ;-)

Let me know if you need a talk through on any of this.

• 5 months later...

One more post before I move to Tiger... Since updating Safari to v 1.3.2 (from 1.3.1) - the forum's page load noticeably quicker. I'm talking about a general feeling over a week or so. I'm very surprised actually. And I'm happy because now it's close enough to being as fast as Firefox (which is also updated to the latest available version for Mac OS 10.3.9), so no more Firefox.

be

• 4 weeks later...
Now that I'm fully into Tiger 10.4.6 and Safari 2, it's surfing faster than ever. So much so that I'm happy to not even think of looking at Firefox again.

be

We're livin' in the same world, Brian. Safari 2 and 10.4.6 is fast and stable as a mofo even with numerous tabs. I'm a happy camper. B)

-Chet

• 1 month later...