Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet set back

Stevetford

Alright group, if it’s not already obvious I’m 

new to reloading.  Took many of your suggestions and pretty much I’m convinced it’s a mixture of the operator and range brass causing all these issues.  
  On the operator side, I believe I’m using way too much force when checking for setback on my bench top. I found a factory loaded round and checked it using my method. Compressed the bullet right to the powder. From now on I think I’ll load a mag and chamber the rounds then remeasure. While still talking about the operator, I also believe too much flare was also used, based on the suggestions here I ordered a MBF funnel

On to the range brass. Wow I had no idea wall thickness could vary as much as it does between head stamps. Would i be better off using a U die exclusively  if I’m going to continue using range brass? 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

Also keep in mind bullet diameter. 
if the bullets run small like .354-.355 

maybe a undersize die is best. 

I’m loading .356 diameter DG coated 

21 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

It's a bit higher priced, but this Redding has been in use for MANY years and I've never had a problem with setback!  IMO, one of the finest sizers on the market!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012361584

Also, make sure you're using this particular funnel for regular (sized) 9mm bullets:

https://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1582

When your sizing and funnel/expansion Powder Drop are set up correctly, these are the results you can expect from the MBF/UniqueTek/Photo Escape powder funnel:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/205711-fix-for-shaving-lead-bullets/

👍

I have used that Redding sizing die and it sizes like the Lee U-die. In fact, I have it setup in tandem with my Lee U-die since it was just an extra and it was already on there prior to buying a Lee u-die thinking it make a huge difference but it didn’t.

Lee Udie without the decapping pin and Redding carbide sizing die on my 9mm processing tool head on the left.

B8-FDD567-8-B0-F-4704-B693-A9963-F12786-

2 hours ago, George16 said:

I have used that Redding sizing die and it sizes like the Lee U-die. In fact, I have it setup in tandem with my Lee U-die since it was just an extra and it was already on there prior to buying a Lee u-die thinking it make a huge difference but it didn’t.

Lee Udie without the decapping pin and Redding carbide sizing die on my 9mm processing tool head on the left.

B8-FDD567-8-B0-F-4704-B693-A9963-F12786-

Good to know. Can’t find the Lee u die in stock but the Redding is readily available. Redding makes no mention of under sizing, but you and a few others confirm that it does so I’ll go ahead and order it in the morning. I shall see what happens. Appreciate the reply

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW I’m running a Dillon 650.  Had issues with the powder funnel sticking when I dialed in the case expansion.  My solution was to use the powder funnel for dropping powder only, and adding an expander die in the previously open station after the powder drop.  Now I can set them to do one function only and have much better results.

4 hours ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

FWIW I’m running a Dillon 650.  Had issues with the powder funnel sticking when I dialed in the case expansion.  My solution was to use the powder funnel for dropping powder only, and adding an expander die in the previously open station after the powder drop.  Now I can set them to do one function only and have much better results.

Sorry I failed to update this post. Purchased a DAA powder funnel and that helped in regards to getting the bullet to sit right in the case without having to over flair. Was still having set back issues so got a Lee U die and problem solved. I’ve sorted out the brass that does/does not require the u die but I’ve decided that if it’s range brass I’ll use the U die exclusively. 

I'm still curious if you were using this powder funnel rather than the regular custom one. This one goes much deeper into the case.

https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/9htc-ptu.html

The standard one looks exactly like the DAA one in profile. My DAA expander started flaking off the plating within a few hundred rounds, so keep an eye on that.

1 hour ago, highxj said:

I'm still curious if you were using this powder funnel rather than the regular custom one. This one goes much deeper into the case.

https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/

1 hour ago, highxj said:

https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/9htc-ptu.html

The standard one looks exactly like the DAA one in profile. My DAA expander started flaking off the plating within a few hundred rounds, so keep an eye on that.

9htc-ptu.html

The only funnels I have used is the Dillion funnel and then the DAA funnel. And yes, the DAA  funnel I received brand new out of the box already had the plating flaking off and wouldn’t even fit in my Dillon die body without some cleanup work. I contacted DAA about these issues, they said they are aware of them but didn’t offer anything further, kind of disappointed but it’s working now so I’ll just keep an eye on it. 

You made reference earlier to a Uniquetek expander you had tried. The 'normal' Uniquetek expander is basically identical to the DAA one minus the plating. Photo Escape makes the Uniquetek expanders. 

I have one of these in route to me now. Anxious to give it a try.  

https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/powder-funnel.html

And I will say this - The guy that owns/runs this company (Alex Poltorak) knows his stuff.  I have exchanged multiple emails with him over the past 5 days.  He is a reloader and a competitive shooter making usable products for reloaders.  Super fast shipping also - my order was in route to me within 24hrs of me hitting the “Place Oder” button on their website…..

Edited by Sigarmsp226

4 hours ago, highxj said:

You made reference earlier to a Uniquetek expander you had tried. The 'normal' Uniquetek expander is basically identical to the DAA one minus the plating. Photo Escape makes the Uniquetek expanders. 

Oh yes you are correct I forgot I even mentioned that thing. I have to dig it out and compare it to the DAA, there is something different because it does not work as well as my DAA has so far. Although the Uniquetek funnel is much better build quality. 

5 hours ago, highxj said:

It's a superior piece... you'll love it. Much better than the DAA one. 

As I stated before, Alex/PE is making his powder funnels to the original prints and specifications of the original MBF design!  They are excellent quality!

👍

Ok guys - Here are a couple of pictures of the MBF powder funnel, The PE powder funnel, and the DAA powder funnel - side by side…..The MBF has had about 700rds thru it. The other two are brand new - received both in the mail today…..tried to provide different lightning so you can see the details.

257-C943-B-0-E32-47-F8-A179-7-C54-C80432

67-D047-D1-217-F-4-C23-B439-A9900-E50-FC

92853-E1-B-17-D0-4184-9748-B7-BFC5-A9-D1

B259-C1-F5-D05-E-4581-95-CC-ABEC2657940-

Edited by Sigarmsp226

6 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Ok guys - Here are a couple of pictures of the MBF powder funnel, The PE powder funnel, and the DAA powder funnel - side by side…..The MBF has had about 700rds thru it. The other two are brand new - received both in the mail today…..tried to provide different lightning so you can see the details.

257-C943-B-0-E32-47-F8-A179-7-C54-C80432

67-D047-D1-217-F-4-C23-B439-A9900-E50-FC

92853-E1-B-17-D0-4184-9748-B7-BFC5-A9-D1

B259-C1-F5-D05-E-4581-95-CC-ABEC2657940-

Mark:

Great representation of the subtle differences in these three units.  

I would be very interested in hearing the specific measurements of the lower and upper "steps" of all three if possible.  And if any have a polished, plated, or bare metal finish?

Thanks!

;)

Hog - According to Alex the MBF and the DAA are built from his original product specs that he is still using today to build his funnels - they just use slightly different materials (do not know this detail) and finished their funnels differently (do not know these details)……

45 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Hog - According to Alex the MBF and the DAA are built from his original product specs that he is still using today to build his funnels - they just use slightly different materials (do not know this detail) and finished their funnels differently (do not know these details)……

Sig:

That's pretty much my understanding also.  Since the original MBF was sold to DAA, the info I had was the MBF/DAA units they were selling separately and included with the MBF were manufactured in Europe to DAA material specs plus a plating of some type.  And that Alex/PE was the only USA manufacturer making them to the original specs........

Still would like to hear some measurements of the u/l steps of those three.........

Thanks!

:) 

8 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

Sig:

That's pretty much my understanding also.  Since the original MBF was sold to DAA, the info I had was the MBF/DAA units they were selling separately and included with the MBF were manufactured in Europe to DAA material specs plus a plating of some type.  And that Alex/PE was the only USA manufacturer making them to the original specs........

Still would like to hear some measurements of the u/l steps of those three.........

Thanks!

:) 

The DAA I have is .3554" and .3595" avg.

The Photo Escape is .3533" and .3583".