Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL750 Sizing Problem, Need A Pro Here

Case goes in to sizing die at a slight tilt. Now before you say the usual suspects, I promise I’ve completely made all adjustments for that way in the beginning when I started loading on the press.

I’m at the point where I’ve just replaced the entire platform. Yes, the complete main platform that bolts to the main shaft. 

Pulling my hair out because it didn’t even help a little. It’s not worse, nor better. 

So what happens is when I size a 357 magnum case, at the very bottom of the the brass, it’s sizing too much to where to can see the outline of the case head…and only on one side. If I spin it, you don’t. This is obviously from that slight tilt I was talking about as it goes in to the die. 

So the sizing is basically not concentric. I think this is happening on other rounds I load as well, like 9mm, 40, and 45. But it’s not as noticeable until you size a longer case like a 357. 

I’ve singled out every common usual suspect, but feel free to chime in just in case I haven’t. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, AHI said:

Tryed a different tool head?

Had one 550 tool head that was miss drilled. Dies would not line up.

That’s an awesome idea, and I did try it with my 40 S&W tool head, but same result. But as I mentioned, even my shorter case rounds like 9mm, 40 and 45 are not concentric either.
You know how you when you seat a bullet and you have good neck tension. When you rotate my rounds, the neck tension slightly differs from one side to the other. With 357, the outline of the case head shows on one side. It’s pretty bad! 

You may be seating the bullet crocked . First you can try more case expansion. Or a mr bullet feader expander. Thear are others I have some from photoscape.

Next possibley a better seating die. Make Shure you are using the correct seating insert.

Edited by AHI

45 minutes ago, RGA said:

Do you have a picture of the (tilted) case in the shellplate and a sized case?

I will get one posted by tomorrow. If you can post video on here, I’ll do that instead. I’m new here

Edited by damon32382
Typo

2 hours ago, AHI said:

You may be seating the bullet crocked . First you can try more case expansion. Or a mr bullet feader expander. Thear are others I have some from photoscape.

Next possibley a better seating die. Make Shure you are using the correct seating insert.

It could be that, but only partially. Before I’m even seating a bullet, the sized 357 cases are buckling toward the bottom ar the case head. I will get a picture or video tomorrow. Really appreciate the help man. 

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

Yep, same thing on my 750 when I load .38 special. It's like the shell plate won't let the shell go far enough into it.

I gave up chasing it.

You have no idea how good it is to hear from someone with the same issue!! Have you narrowed it down to only 357/38’s? Or does happen with other calibers? I plan on really watching my next batches of 9mm, 40, and 45. But those are harder to tell because they are shorter cases. Any more feedback would be greatly appreciated

10 hours ago, damon32382 said:

You have no idea how good it is to hear from someone with the same issue!! Have you narrowed it down to only 357/38’s? Or does happen with other calibers? I plan on really watching my next batches of 9mm, 40, and 45. But those are harder to tell because they are shorter cases. Any more feedback would be greatly appreciated

No, just .38. Dillon said to check the shell plate for derbies, but it was clean. I've even tried wiggling the die around to get it in the proper place, but it's not right. 

My die is perfectly centered, and I've used the alignment tool. It's the shell plate, it's out of spec.

Edited by ysrracer

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

No, just .38. Dillon said to check the shell plate for derbies, but it was clean. I've even tried wiggling the die around to get it in the proper place, but it's not right. 

My die is perfectly centered, and I've used the alignment tool. It's the shell plate, it's out of spec.

And the shell will tilt as it goes in to the sizing die, right? Just want to double check that we’re having the same problem 

6 minutes ago, damon32382 said:

And the shell will tilt as it goes in to the sizing die, right? Just want to double check that we’re having the same problem 

Yes, I assume the case is sitting flat on the shell plate, then as I raise the ram/shell plate the case tilts in a little bit. Not clockwise or counter clockwise, but straight in towards the main shaft.

10 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Yes, I assume the case is sitting flat on the shell plate, then as I raise the ram/shell plate the case tilts in a little bit. Not clockwise or counter clockwise, but straight in towards the main shaft.

Ok, same thing here then! Mine tilts toward the main shaft too. Could be the shell plate. Or I’ve wondered about the sizing die itself. I noticed when I’ve screwed the sizing die down that the primer punch pin isn’t straight as I spin the die down to the shell plate. Imagine if you had a straight piece of a wire hanger about 5 inches and then you slightly bent the bottom 2 inches and then spun it with the tips of your fingers and what that would look like. My best description. Lol!! 

17 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Ok, this it with a .38 short colt. It's more pronounced with a .38 special

YES!!! That’s exactly it!!! Seriously man, thank you for posting that!! I know we have no solution yet, but so glad I’m not the only one experiencing this! Plus others on this forum can see what’s going on here too! I meant to post a video the other day. 
On my 357 brass, it really mashes the brass in on the case mouth on one side towards the rim. I’ll post a video on this as soon as I can. Can we stay in touch on this? I know you said you gave up chasing this, but I really want to figure this out.

7 minutes ago, damon32382 said:

YES!!! That’s exactly it!!! Seriously man, thank you for posting that!! I know we have no solution yet, but so glad I’m not the only one experiencing this! Plus others on this forum can see what’s going on here too! I meant to post a video the other day. 
On my 357 brass, it really mashes the brass in on the case mouth on one side towards the rim. I’ll post a video on this as soon as I can. Can we stay in touch on this? I know you said you gave up chasing this, but I really want to figure this out.

Sure, as I said, it's more pronounced on .38 special/.357

I spend a few months in Arizona in the spring. I'm going to bring it with, and let them look at it.

4 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Sure, as I said, it's more pronounced on .38 special/.357

I spend a few months in Arizona in the spring. I'm going to bring it with, and let them look at it.

Exactly!! 357 is by far my longest case that I load, so it’s very easy to see that tilt. The rest of the calibers I load are the smaller, so it’s not as noticeable. 
I’ll still post a video of mine too, mostly so I can show the damage it does to the brass. 
That’s awesome that you’ll be able to just bring it straight to Dillon. 
I’ve talked to them and they said I can just send the whole press in, but I won’t have it back for months:/

1 minute ago, damon32382 said:

Exactly!! 357 is by far my longest case that I load, so it’s very easy to see that tilt. The rest of the calibers I load are the smaller, so it’s not as noticeable. 
I’ll still post a video of mine too, mostly so I can show the damage it does to the brass. 
I’ve talked to them and they said I can just send the whole press in, but I won’t have it back for months:/

Years ago my buddy was married to Mike Dillon's daughter, so I know a guy :)

10 hours ago, damon32382 said:

They quote months but I sent an 1100 in a while back, probably April/ish and got it back a couple weeks later.