Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL750 Sizing Problem, Need A Pro Here

@4n2t0By chance are any of the others leaning at the same time or a different direction? Is it just one station on the shell plate or any/all of them?  By the looks of the brass it’s like the head and or ram is tweaked. Do you have a small level and a square? Just some thoughts. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was sitting here puzzling on this and thought here is a list of things that could directly

tilt a case or some how cause this.

bottom of case not square

schmootz in the carrier plate lifting the brass.

bent plate

broken (bent or cracked) press

bent ram

top of ram dented or deformed

detent ball or notch worn past tolerance

weak detent spring

shell plate advance not advancing properly

something moving the shell plate during stroke

die not square to press

a notch on mouth of die snagging case

are there more?

I am thinking about the advice to tighten the lock rings

of the dies with the press at the top of the stroke and with all

5 stations cased.

It is a pretty simple machine.

the problem should not be all this hard to find.

miranda

59 minutes ago, Miranda said:

I was sitting here puzzling on this and thought here is a list of things that could directly

tilt a case or some how cause this.

bottom of case not square

schmootz in the carrier plate lifting the brass.

bent plate

broken (bent or cracked) press

bent ram

top of ram dented or deformed

detent ball or notch worn past tolerance

weak detent spring

shell plate advance not advancing properly

something moving the shell plate during stroke

die not square to press

a notch on mouth of die snagging case

are there more?

I am thinking about the advice to tighten the lock rings

of the dies with the press at the top of the stroke and with all

5 stations cased.

It is a pretty simple machine.

the problem should not be all this hard to find.

miranda

#6 Operator error? :)

2 hours ago, ysrracer said:

#6 Operator error? :)

That must be it! I've been doing it right for decades, but started doing it wrong in the last 3 weeks. Problem solved!!! lol.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, I'll update the thread when I solve the problem.

Edited by 4n2t0

now now...  we want to conjecture and guess and see how far afield we can get.

ah anyway,  I think YSRRacer was asking about the list...

I am wondering what isn't operator error...

If I write such a post,  then we have your post again...with cause. 

so I am seeking a way to make clear that

I don't care how the press found cause to balk...

ever look at what die takes the most power to press?

4n2t0,  I hope things are adjustable enough to get you making the ammo you need.

my list was sorting out possibilities,

ever consider what it would take to bend the press?

I can't think up a way.  and if there were an easy check, I'd test it.

sure is a puzzle tho.

miranda 

14 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

That must be it! I've been doing it right for decades, but started doing it wrong in the last 3 weeks. Problem solved!!! lol.

Obviously I'm joking, hence the smiley face. Keep us updated.

On 3/18/2024 at 4:03 PM, 4n2t0 said:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, I'll update the thread when I solve the problem.

I just had a thought. Remove the shell plate. Place an empty shell on top of the platform. Run it up.

Does it tilt in? 

If the top of the platform is at a right angle to the center line of the die it shouldn't.

Next put the shell plate on without the spring and ball. Tighten it down all the way.  Run it up.

Does it tilt in?

Let's remove the variables.

Edited by ysrracer

On 3/19/2024 at 3:10 PM, ysrracer said:

I just had a thought. Remove the shell plate. Place an empty shell on top of the platform. Run it up.

Does it tilt in? 

If the top of the platform is at a right angle to the center line of the die it shouldn't.

Next put the shell plate on without the spring and ball. Tighten it down all the way.  Run it up.

Does it tilt in?

Let's remove the variables.

Did you try any of these steps?

On 3/17/2024 at 10:44 AM, JTinMO said:

Did you try tightening the shell plate down solid (may need to remove the ball and spring), like to where it can’t rotate, and try to size a piece?  I think that would show if the base frame and shell plate are square to your tool head.  Basically eliminate any potential of the shell plate tilting at all anywhere.  

from the pics your brass tilting is the issue, and not really something an alignment kit will fix necessarily.  If your brass was straight vertically and hitting off center in the die, then the alignment kit can fix that and bring everything back in line.  I don’t think it will fix a tilt issue.  It’s almost like you have something under your shell plate causing a tilt.  

I tried this, and it looks like the shellplate might not be square to the tool head. The platform screws are tight, but there is rotational slop in the bare platform if I grab it from the casefeed slide end and wiggle. All the slop disappears when the shellplate and shellplate bolt are installed, so maybe that slop is normal, but I don't have anything to compare.

Dillon is sending two alignment tools (platform and casefeed???). They want me to dismantle the press, check the platform for cracks/wear, and then clean/reassemble/align. It might take a while since I'm in Canada, but I'll let you guys know how everything works out (or not).

P.S. I've currently got a few K of all the calibres I shoot loaded, so I should be good until the first aid kit arrives.

20 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

I tried this, and it looks like the shellplate might not be square to the tool head. The platform screws are tight, but there is rotational slop in the bare platform if I grab it from the casefeed slide end and wiggle. All the slop disappears when the shellplate and shellplate bolt are installed, so maybe that slop is normal, but I don't have anything to compare.

Dillon is sending two alignment tools (platform and casefeed???). They want me to dismantle the press, check the platform for cracks/wear, and then clean/reassemble/align. It might take a while since I'm in Canada, but I'll let you guys know how everything works out (or not).

P.S. I've currently got a few K of all the calibres I shoot loaded, so I should be good until the first aid kit arrives.

Mine was doing that. It was the Allen screw at the bottom of the ram. Once I tightened that up, no more rotation.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update, as promised.

Dillon sent me two alignment fixtures (platform and primer) and a new case insert slide at my request. After performing the alignment procedures and replacing the case insert slide, I'm happy to report that my press is back to functioning properly. I used this as an opportunity to tear down the entire press into its individual parts and inspect everything carefully. I suspect that the wear I found underneath the case insert slide (pictured below) might have been the main culprit.

As always, Dillon's customer service was extremely helpful and very accommodating.

20240427_195440.jpg.7e77907b3773c67d73d7a3b6cfd9cf24.jpg

ummm... while I think I know the part, it is not a photo from an angle that I have seen before.

so I lack confidence in knowing if that open area is as designed.

it does not seem to be a factory made notch.

I am curious about what part created the notch.

Does a spring hang there?

miranda

ETA: thanks for the update  I appreciate it.

Edited by Miranda