Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1100 Die SCRAMBLE - Stepping outside of my comfort zone

Thanks Mark!

I was holding off on the purchase to see if I could find it elsewhere with less shipping. BSPS seemed to be the only place that had them in stock. I was going to wait until the FW dies came in but not anymore. I was also hoping for them to have a July 4th sale. Not waiting anymore, order has been placed. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it worth adding a Lee undersize die as the final step in the processing toolhead on my RL 1100?

My current plan, based on advice in this thread is to use a FW Arms “popper” decapper, FW Swage hold down, then either a Lee or Dillon carbide sizer with decap pin as a backup. I am wondering if I should just use both the Dillon and Lee sizing/decapping dies, or even add the Undersize die in the last spot??

what could possibly go wrong with extra sizing/decapping operations if the spots are available on the toolhead and wouldn’t be doing anything anyway. 

I already have the dies, so no extra cost to use them. Is the undersize die worth it?

also, this would be for jacketed Bullets. I think the process might be different for coated, but not sure. 

On 7/1/2021 at 7:15 PM, George16 said:

I do a two-step processing /loading for 9mm.

Here’s my processing tool head on the right. It has the following:

Station 2 - FW Arms decapper 

Station 3 - Dillon rifle hold down die  (you can see the rifle hold down die on the second picture; bottom left. This is an extra die lying around this since I’m using an FW Arms Swage hold down for rifle processing)

Station 4 - empty

station 5 - empty

station 6 - empty

station 7 - Lee U-die without the decapping pin 

Station 8 - Redding recapping/sizing die (it’s just an extra laying around so I put it in to make sure no primers get by) 

B8-FDD567-8-B0-F-4704-B693-A9963-F12786-

Hey George,

I’m rereading this thread (again) and have a question. 

On your processing toolhead, any reason why you wouldn’t swap the last two sizing does so that the Redding die goes first and the Lee undersize die for after that???

Would it put less strain on the press/brass to size it down in steps that way?  

otherwise, in your config, why not skip the Redding sizing die altogether and just put the decapping pin in the undersize die?

I am asking because I’m considering multiple sizing/decapping steps in my processing setup and thought that sizing in steps from regular then undersize might be better. 

but, I may also just be over analyzing things. 

thanks. 

4 hours ago, Cuz said:

Is it worth adding a Lee undersize die as the final step in the processing toolhead on my RL 1100?

My current plan, based on advice in this thread is to use a FW Arms “popper” decapper, FW Swage hold down, then either a Lee or Dillon carbide sizer with decap pin as a backup. I am wondering if I should just use both the Dillon and Lee sizing/decapping dies, or even add the Undersize die in the last spot??

what could possibly go wrong with extra sizing/decapping operations if the spots are available on the toolhead and wouldn’t be doing anything anyway. 

I already have the dies, so no extra cost to use them. Is the undersize die worth it?

also, this would be for jacketed Bullets. I think the process might be different for coated, but not sure. 

I'm using the regular Lee sizer/decapper as you describe in a tool head that also relies on the FW arms as the primary decapper.

You could certainly use the U die there also.

Not everybody needs to use the U die.

I don't have a problem with bullet setback and my rounds gauge fine with the regular die.

I bought one just in case but I've never had to use it.

Edited to add: With respect to the order of sizing dies if multiple dies are used: I would think that the dies would be ordered such that the first die sizes the least and the second the most.

I don't know how the Redding compares to the Lee die in that respect.

Edited by ddc

3 hours ago, Cuz said:

Hey George,

On your processing toolhead, any reason why you wouldn’t swap the last two sizing does so that the Redding die goes first and the Lee undersize die for after that???

otherwise, in your config, why not skip the Redding sizing die altogether and just put the decapping pin in the undersize die?

I am asking because I’m considering multiple sizing/decapping steps in my processing setup and thought that sizing in steps from regular then undersize might be better. 

thanks. 

As a side note..............

The Lee U-Die sizes -.003"; the Redding Titanium Carbide Die sizes -.002".  According to Redding......

;)

3 hours ago, Cuz said:

Hey George,

thanks. 

Cuz, both dies size almost the same and since I had the Redding at the last station originally to make sure all the primers were removed, I was just too lazy to swap them so I installed the Udie on the 7th station. .001” difference is not noticeable at all. 

Other than that, no particular reason at all.

50 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

As a side note..............

The Lee U-Die sizes -.003"; the Redding Titanium Carbide Die sizes -.002".  According to Redding......

;)

thanks,

do you know what the Dillon carbide sizing die and Lee standard size carbide die size at???

Turns out my U-die is in 40 cal from my Limited division shooting days, so if you want to sell the 9mm undersize die I’d be interested. Nobody seems to have them in stock. 

I process 9mm on a 1050 set up for 40sw with two decapping dies, no swage rod, and no 9mm sizing dies.  The far side of the tool head has a Dillon 40sw die and a Lee U-die in 40. The 9mm passes through unaffected, while 40sw gets resized making the 550 I use to load 40sw very smooth.  This lets me process 9mm or 40sw without changing anything about the press. But it won't process a mixed batch of brass because the cases nest.

During loading I use a 1050 set up for 9mm and size in station 2 with a Dillon die, and use a Lee U-die as my swage backer in station 3. I haven't seen a need for a primer backing die though I find them interesting.

I tried simply turning the Lee decapping stem up side down, but the collet doesn't provide enough resistance to the swage rod and slips. It's currently running without a rod in the center and it's okay, but I worry it might be stressing the shell plate. I plan to make a backing rod that fits in the Lee 1/8-NPT threaded hole in the top of the die.

eta: You might be able to file a circular groove in the Lee decapping stem to run it up side down. The collet could sit on the small shelf you made to resist the swage rod.

Edited by belus
insight into U-die swage backing

6 hours ago, Cuz said:

thanks,

do you know what the Dillon carbide sizing die and Lee standard size carbide die size at???

Turns out my U-die is in 40 cal from my Limited division shooting days, so if you want to sell the 9mm undersize die I’d be interested. Nobody seems to have them in stock. 

Cuz:

I've got an inquiry sent to my inside tech at Dillon concerning the Dillon sizing die reduction; may be a day or so before I hear back.  But I'll let you know ASAP. I have no idea on the Lee.......... 

Sorry, I sold my U-Die some time ago.  All I have right now is a new Lee standard 9mm Carbide sizing die and a set of 14406 Dillon Dies.

Sorry.  If I still had it I'd sure offer it to you!

👍

2 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Sorry.  If I still had it I'd sure offer it to you!

👍

no problem, I’m sure the Lee and Dillon I have will be fine. I got the toolhead in today, and the FW Arms dies shipped today, so I should be ready to start processing soon.