Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Mag Positioning

coframer

In SS do your mags have to be carried vertically or can they be canted/angled on your belt?   Haven’t shot for years and getting back into it. Thanks 

Edited by coframer

Welcome back!  Your timing is good.  Note that the removal of App E equipment placement limitations is in the March21 change log not the rule book yet.   But it was effective in March21.

3 hours ago, coframer said:

In SS do your mags have to be carried vertically or can they be canted/angled on your belt?   Haven’t shot for years and getting back into it. Thanks 

Put them wherever you want, however you want.  You only need to meet the distance requirement from the inner belt.

Same goes for the holster.  Put it wherever you want, canted however you want as long as it meets the distance from the inner belt requirement,and it complies with 5.2.7.2 and 5.2.7.3.

This week I rearranged my belt (for carry optics) and it looks now like an open or limited rig.  Holster is at 1 o'clock (super easy draw) and mag holders are from 12 to 9, bullets out, and canted back.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

I tried a far-forward holster position (for my DAA race holster) and didn't end up liking it. Too easy to draw before the 180 if I was pushing the speed.

I compromised, and set it up so that the belt hanger is at about 1:30, but the ball joint is set so the gun is still pointing straight forward.

1 hour ago, Fishbreath said:

I tried a far-forward holster position (for my DAA race holster) and didn't end up liking it. Too easy to draw before the 180 if I was pushing the speed.

I compromised, and set it up so that the belt hanger is at about 1:30, but the ball joint is set so the gun is still pointing straight forward.

My holster is on a Boss hanger and the centerline of the hanger is right at the front edge of my RH jeans pocket.  If I stand facing downrange, grip the pistol, lift straight up, and then bring the pistol horizontal, the muzzle is pointing just about 45 deg left of body centerline.

Coincidentally that almost the same exact spot where an AIWB holster is most comfortable for me as I experiment with that location for daily carry.

You can also use magnetic pouches in SS as well. Personally I run teo of the DAA SS magnetic pouches and 3 bullets out CR SPEED pouches. Set up like a normal limited gun rig for placement. Works awesome for me as the old rules kinda sucked since I'm skinny.