Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rainier Ballistics

Duane Thomas

I'm about to start playing with Rainier Ballistics' plated bullets in 9mm (124s and 147s) and .45 ACP (200s and 230s). Anybody who has any experience with Rainier like to share their impressions of these bullets? Quality? Tips to get the best out of them? Things to avoid? Any info provided would be appreciated.

I have used their 230gr .45 CMJ. Decent bullet, not dirty like lead, but the jacket is very weak and it's easy to mess it up if you don't bell the case enough. It was worth it to me to get real FMJ bullets. But look at the cost and decide if is enough for you.

I used to shoot the 115 gr in my Glock 17's with no problems at all with max loads.

Even tried a couple through the 38 super at major power with no problems.

I kept a more uniform OAL with those than jacketed from another popular vendor spoke of on BE all the time.

Hey Duane....I can't say anything about 9mm...but for 45ACP, I recently switched from MasterBlaster Moly bullets to Rainier 230gr TMJ and have been very happy with the performance. I'm shooting 4.0gr of Clays loaded to 1.255" OAL.....does about 169pf and seems to be accurate.

Only problem I ever had with them, and I've shot a bunch of them, is sometimes they would deform on the ramp while feeding and stop in 45 230gr FMJ.

Interesting. I'd expect that in 9mm, being a narrower bullet, there would be less tendency toward that, yes?

Thanks for the info, guys. Keep it coming

Only problem I ever had with them, and I've shot a bunch of them, is sometimes they would deform on the ramp while feeding and stop in 45 230gr FMJ.

Ditto on that...a gun that was reliable with 45 lead had 1 in 10 FTF w Rainier RN 230s...a bit of polishing of the ramp and a very little shaping of the barrel lip solved it. There were 2 problems as I saw it ... the plated coating is not as slick as lead so it will hang more easily on any irregularity. Also, the ogive is a little flatter on a Rainier than on Win FMJ, Montana Gold or Berry's...ie. the Rainiers are a little more pointy...changes the timing off the feed lips a bit.

Other potential issues - Rainier's are .451 diam while Berry's are .452 ... your barrel may have a preference for accuracy.

In general, I've been very satisfied with them ... very consistent weights and measurements, plating is a little soft compared to Montana Gold but comparable to Berry's. I use the 230s for IPSC practice and 200 SWCs for Bullseye practice on indoor ranges that don't allow an exposed lead bottom. I load them to just a bit more than the commonly published powder charges for comparable lead bullets.

You can get them from Cabela's and pay a maximum of $13.95 shipping regardless of weight.

/Bryan

You can get them from Cabela's and pay a maximum of $13.95 shipping regardless of weight.

/Bryan

Which makes no sense to me...I live about 50 miles from their factory (Duane is MUCH closer) and yet, I can get them cheaper from Cabelas SHIPPED than I can locally. I haven't found anyone who can beat Cabelas with respect to final cost.....not even the local "representatives".

I've used the 230gr in .45. They aren't bad, biggest issue for me were caused by them being .451 rather than .452. Had to adjust the belling to accomodate them, and with the lee turret I was using for most of them, powder stage which also belled the case mouth just was not capable of producing results they were happy with. It required periodic fiddling and was touchy. However on my hornady LNL-AP with the same belling die it was quite easy to get something that the bullet was happy with. Other main problem was getting crimp my gun was happy with that didn't screw up the bullet. They are pretty soft, and the plating can be a bit fragile in the press.

I use CMC 10 rounders, and the only feeding problems due to deformation I had were the result of my extractor going bad and the top round getting mangled but not yanked out of the mag when clearing the jam.

I'll probably be switching back to them unless someone at my club can arrange a group buy for jacketed stuff.

/Bryan

Which makes no sense to me...I live about 50 miles from their factory (Duane is MUCH closer) and yet, I can get them cheaper from Cabelas SHIPPED than I can locally. I haven't found anyone who can beat Cabelas with respect to final cost.....not even the local "representatives".

It was explained to me that Rainier will sell from the factory with a minimum 50,000 bullet order, so get busy & practice.

.....so get busy & practice.

I'm shooting as much as I can! :D

You may or may not be interested in this Leroy...but word is that Tom Stidham who runs/owns MasterBlaster is NOT going out of business. He changed his mind and decided to keep it running.

Thats what I heard from a fellow shooter who talked with him last week.

I've been using the Rainier 230 HPs for a couple of years now with total success. No complaints at all.

I've tried the 230 RN as well, but the bullet will activate the slide stop on my Kimber waaaaay too often. Not a big deal, and a bit of filing took care of the problem.

No feeding or accuracy problems out of either bullet.

I also use a ton of their 180 HPs for my .40 Limited gun.

I've been using Rainier 230's in my .45's for the last 3 years with no problems at all. I have close to 40,000 115gr 9's through my G17 production gun with no problems. I also have about 9,000 124gr RN through my 9x19 major open gun with no problems. I'd have to say I'm sold on Rainiers for the cost and performance.

Brian F.

I shot their 230s for years and like them well enough. They are real soft and deform easily though. Their 200gr. SWC wouldn't feed reliably for me. I'm switching to Zero, because they're not much more in price (considering shipping I'd been paying for the Rainiers.) I think the Zeros may be more accurate from my initial testing, but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison. If I couldn't get jacketed bullets at a reasonable price, I'd go back to Rainiers (round nose only.)

Rainier bullets work well in 45, Never tried them in 9 .

The 200 Gr. FP has grouped really well in a couple of different guns ( for me ).

Ditto on the above comments about the bullets being soft and stopping on the feed ramp every once in a while.

Travis F.

Thus far I have about 300 rounds of Rainier 9mms through my Glock 34, their 124- and 147-grainers. Thus far not a single problem. Racking rounds through the action - multiple times - then examining the bullets afterwards, I'm not seeing any deformation at all.

watch out for excessive crimp.

the culprit for keyholeing plated bullets is likely overcrimping

the 200 grain 40 cal bullet is one of the best i have shot accuracy wise.

so far ive shot the 124 grain .357 sig bullet, 115 round nose, 95 grain round nose, 147 round nose flat point, the 40 180 hollow point, the 40 200 grain flat point and the 45 230 round nose...

if i didnt have 10K lead 45 bullets, the rainiers(or berrys) would be all i use.

btw, my 45 load was 4.0 grains Clays at 1.250 oal.

Hey Duane,

I shot 200 gr. in .40 and .45 through my para, kimber and SW625 the whole time I was out there. Rich and I used to go pick them up at the factory with a large order from the 'boys'. I was always happy with them.

I went to jacketed in limited but would have to continued to shoot them in .45 both SS and Revo, however when I moved down here the shipping made other options better.

I never had any problems with them.

• 3 years later...
watch out for excessive crimp.

the culprit for keyholeing plated bullets is likely overcrimping

the 200 grain 40 cal bullet is one of the best i have shot accuracy wise.

so far ive shot the 124 grain .357 sig bullet, 115 round nose, 95 grain round nose, 147 round nose flat point, the 40 180 hollow point, the 40 200 grain flat point and the 45 230 round nose...

if i didnt have 10K lead 45 bullets, the rainiers(or berrys) would be all i use.

btw, my 45 load was 4.0 grains Clays at 1.250 oal.

I agree about overcrimping. I have used them in 9, 10, 357, 40, 45. I crimp them so i can just see a line on the bullet, no more. You can't crimp it like a jacketed, more like a regular lead bullet.

• 2 weeks later...

I as well have about 10K of the plated 124gr RN through my G34 & G17 with no problems whatsoever over the last couple of years. My load was 4.5gr W231, 1.145 OAL with crimp at about .378. Avg. velocity was about 1060fps. Never used any of the 147gr or other calibers.

I shoot the 135gr 40 cal in my open gun. I love them. I have not had any issues with them. Accuacy is exceptional. I'm getting around 1275-1300fps and no problems.

Flyin40

I have had the same experience as flying40 with the 135s in open. I also shoot their 200 SWC in .45 with good results also. I will try their 230 RN because I am a sheep and I want to try the 230/clays receipe that everyone is raving about.

Later,

Chuck