Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Manufactured 9mm Major Options?

Rudukai13

First off, apologies if this is in the wrong place. It’s not technically about reloading but I figured it’s similar enough and the information is pertinent to those who already frequent this subforum that this would be the best place to ask.

0EEAE921-D3FD-4D66-9A22-884A8F7BAAA0.jpe

I’m looking for a source for manufactured, complete 9mm Major loads as an experiment to run through my comped P320s. So far all they’ve seen is standard off-the-shelf 9mm loads, mostly 9mm NATO FMJ. I’d be wanting something with a 115 or 124gr bullet weight. I’ve done a bit of research and seen a few different options but each of them seems to have a specific notice about having been loaded “long”. I’m aware this refers to the overall length of the complete cartridge, and that this tends to be a normal practice with 9mm Major loads. My concern is whether or not any of the loads will be too long to chamber in the barrel of my P320s. All three use Bar-Sto threaded stainless steel barrels. I don’t know what the chamber length of the barrel is, so I’m not sure if I should be worried about the OAL note from the various manufacturers.

Any guidance, suggestions, or help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I would reach out to barsto to see if their chambers are fully supported, and what length they ream their chambers for max OAL.  If chamber is too short, the projectile will engage the rifling before the cartridge can fully seat in the chamber.  Also longer OAL may not fit in your magazine, or feed correctly.  9mm Major is loaded longer to help feeding and to prevent a compressed load, which can spike pressures.  Also, your recoil system needs to be up to the task for a major load, or your pistol will take a beating from the increased recoil impulse.  9 major is normally above +P+ pressures, well above SAAMI specs.  When I first got a purpose built 2011 open gun, I tried some Everglades, and it had feeding issues and did not make power factor with my setup.  Just a few things to think about.

Edited by Rvajma

Barsto barrels are notorious for having short leades.  You will have to have them throated to use long ammo.  I don't know of anyone who sells 115 major ammo.  Eley, Everglades and Black Dot sell 124 major.  The is also another firm, but I can't remember the name at the moment.  Atlanta Arms and Everglades sell 147 major.

The shortest major load I have found data on is VVs starting load for 147 JHP major using 3N38 at 1.141".  The starting load makes major, so not pressure worries.

I built a G17 Open Pistol with a Lonewolf barrel (also famously short lead).

I have a Manson throat reamer and opened up the throat to allow me load to 1.155-1.160" with RMR or Everglades 115gr JHP.

1.160" is the max I can run due to the Glock magazine restrictions. I could probably go a little longer with the MBX metal mags, but not sure it's worth it in this platform. MBX mags are awesome...but expensive.

I originally ran 124gr JHP with Silhouette and the gun worked great, but then I tried 115gr JHP and the gun really started working as intended.

It's never gonna be a 2011 platform open gun, but it's as close as you're gonna get without spending 2011 money. I dabble in too many things to spend 2011 money.

I have also switched to SW Major Pistol and am loving it.

The whole point of this story is that with plastic open guns I found that the extra powder that I was able to squeeze in with the 115gr projectile really allowed the comp to come to life. The gun shoots extremely flat and is extremely accurate. I found the 115's pushed to 1460 FPS to be a touch more accurate than the 124's pushed to 1370 FPS.

Unless you can have someone make ammo to your specs it's probably gonna be a tuff go.

As stated, most major ammo is more than likely gonna manufactured for 2011 platforms and hence is gonna be loaded hot (and long) for an M&P or Glock.

2011's have better, more efficient comps, and can handle more powder to make the same power factor.

Do you not reload?

11 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

2011's have better, more efficient comps, and can handle more powder to make the same power factor.

How do you figure a 2011 comp is better then any other comp? If the same comp is installed on either barrel it will work the same. 

As for longevity of the P320 platform with 9 major.... current extractor designs are what's keeping it from being a reality. A buddy and I tried it out and above about 150PF the extractor would come right off the gun.

Also need to check if the OAL of the manufactured rounds will even fit a P320 mag. 

1 minute ago, Bakerjd said:

How do you figure a 2011 comp is better then any other comp? If the same comp is installed on either barrel it will work the same. 

As for longevity of the P320 platform with 9 major.... current extractor designs are what's keeping it from being a reality. A buddy and I tried it out and above about 150PF the extractor would come right off the gun.

Also need to check if the OAL of the manufactured rounds will even fit a P320 mag. 

Were the cases bulging for the extractor to come out or did it do it on its own?

Just now, dansedgli said:

Were the cases bulging for the extractor to come out or did it do it on its own?

To be honest I cant remeber. I dont recall case buldge though. Just extractors not staying in the slide. 

To answer iflyskyhigh quickly I do not reload, hence the question about pre-manufactured Major loads.

What I’m gathering is that it’s going to be much more trouble than it’s worth just for the small experiment I want to do. I’ll just stick to my usual NATO rounds for now