Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 won’t eject spent casings

Brassblazer

So..for some reason my S&W M929 won’t eject most of my spent casings. I have used blazer brass, federal & win (all fire every time) but have problems with all of these ejecting every time. I am using .35 clips and .40 clips all from TK...also had the TI cylinder chamfer job from TK...in dry fire my dummy rounds drop in & eject out freely & smoothly every time with no problem using both .35 & .40 clips. In live fire...About 3 out of 10 moons eject smoothly...all other practically have to be pried at the edges to break them free enough to use the ejector rod to remove, otherwise theres no getting them out. This is going to be an issue while competing. Theres no burres in my cylinder. Anyone else experienced this problem?

thanks. 

EB052F2C-B3CE-4D53-BCEB-847661EAEE00.jpeg

Edited by Brassblazer
Misspelling

TK did a nice job on your gun.  Enjoy

Do not mix brass.  Either shoot Federal or Winchester.  My 929 loves Winchester brass and .35 moons from TK.  Loading .40s is too hard for my hands to load or eject from the moons. 

Check your powder.  I use VV N 320 and find it to be very clean.  Some powders will be just dirty enough to cause your problem.  

Spend some time on OAL and how much you bell your cases when reloading them.  Just nock off the bell and use .358 bullets to keep them from moving under recoil.  

I hope this helps you.

OP, what load are you using? Maybe it's too hot for the gun? I shoot 148gr Blue Bullets in front of 2.7gr of Clays, and don't have any extraction issues.

Edited by ysrracer

17 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

TK did a nice job on your gun.  Enjoy

Do not mix brass.  Either shoot Federal or Winchester.  My 929 loves Winchester brass and .35 moons from TK.  Loading .40s is too hard for my hands to load or eject from the moons. 

Check your powder.  I use VV N 320 and find it to be very clean.  Some powders will be just dirty enough to cause your problem.  

Spend some time on OAL and how much you bell your cases when reloading them.  Just nock off the bell and use .358 bullets to keep them from moving under recoil.  

I hope this helps you.

Thanks for the input. Yes, TK did a fantastic/clean job. Great guys over there. Im having a blast with this thing.

The problem (as of late) is my reloads have come to a near hault due to supply being soo dried up. I have been shooting some of my reloads (trying to conserve for matches) but mainly using factory federal & win at the range. Powder has also been difficult to find so unfortunately I am making due wirh what I have at the moment😣

all the information you provided me is helpful indeed, so I appreciate the response. 

thank you. 

2 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

OP, what load are you using? Maybe it's too hot for the gun? I shoot 148gr Blue Bullets in front of 2.7gr of Clays, and don't have any extraction issues.

Recently, 115-148 cci & federal primers. Just depends what I take w/ me to shoot.

I’ve played around with different loads up to this point in order to find what works best for me, however I am not mixing brass when shooting.

I shoot same grain, brass & primer during live fire. 

Narrow it down.

Gauge check one round, load it in a moon clip, fire it. Does it eject?

Then two, then three...

Is it the brass? The cylinder? The moon clips?...

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

Narrow it down.

Gauge check one round, load it in a moon clip, fire it. Does it eject?

Then two, then three...

Is it the brass? The cylinder? The moon clips?...

Using different moons and same results arise. I am in the process of figuring this out. 

8 minutes ago, Brassblazer said:

Using different moons and same results arise. I am in the process of figuring this out. 

Ok, so if it happens with different moons, you know it's not the moons.

Try different ammo next.

Edited by ysrracer

I think that your gun is too clean! LOL But really I have found Not to use any chemicals to clean the chambers. Just use a boresnake or brass brush. The Ti cylinder is quite porous let it build some carbon in there, it is like seasoning a cast iron pan to fill in the pores so food doesn't stick, I have found  the Ti cylinder, seasoned works quite well. We have done this with 10-12 different 929's and it helped them all.

2 hours ago, mchapman said:

I think that your gun is too clean! LOL But really I have found Not to use any chemicals to clean the chambers. Just use a boresnake or brass brush. The Ti cylinder is quite porous let it build some carbon in there, it is like seasoning a cast iron pan to fill in the pores so food doesn't stick, I have found  the Ti cylinder, seasoned works quite well. We have done this with 10-12 different 929's and it helped them all.

Haha I literally just use ballistol oil to wipe it clean when the carbon builds up on the sides of the frame..dont bother with trying to “clean”/remove powder burns from the cylinder/forcing cone much as it just shows up after shooting again. It is brand spank’n new however, Ive only got 1k rounds through it so far as it was purchased NIB just back in march. 

Edited by Brassblazer

2 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I heard not to scrub them with anything that has ammonia in it. Supposedly it eats the finish.

I only use ballistol to wipe off the powder burns on any of my guns to comtrol build up & some “shooters lube” solvent inside the barrel with a hoppes bore snake. Easy clean. Found it works quite well for me. No ammonia.

Edited by Brassblazer

OP, do you wet tumble your brass with stainless steel pins and leme shine?

I've bought processed brass that was so clean, it had stiction on the powder funnel in my Dillon 750.

Brass needs a little "shmutz" to work properly.

Did you list your load data?

Clean brass clean gun, I’ve had lots of both 

zero issues 

if you get a proper funnel it won’t clunk on a 650 either.

boretech C4 carbon cleaner and brass brushes do wonders on a Ti cylinder 

9 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

zero issues 

Yep, I use Bore Tech Eliminator in my rifle, and Carbon Cleaner on my pistols.

They work great, and don't stink.

I've got a Mr Bullet Feeder and DAA funnel on my 750 and trust me, wet tumbled brass sticks.

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

zero issues 

Same, clean revolver and wet tumble brass with Brass juice for two hours and dry for four hours. Use Fed brass with TK.040 SS moonclips, slides in and out.