Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

measures .353 inches

gunner40sw

I received a batch of a thousand 115 grain 9mm jacketed bullets for reloading that are suppose to measure .355 inches but not one measures that. they measure .353 inches.

Accuracy and possible push back in my PCC is a concern to me so tell me what you think

How accurate is your measuring device?  Is it a micrometer? A digital, dial or vernier caliper?  Have you zeroed it?  Generally bullet makers, particularly of jacketed bullets, are very close to their specified size so be sure the bullets themselves are at fault. 

IF you are confident in your measuring equipment I would load 10 and try them, one at the time, at the range.  If they are accurate then try 5 in a mag checking for set back, extra crimp might help.  Also remember the old push test to confirm bullet tension.  This is what I would try not saying you should.

Alaskapopo

SAAMI spec for 9x19, 9x21, .38 Super, .38 Special, and .357 is 0.355" barrel groove diameter.

0.357" bullets work well in 9mm and 9mm can work well in .38.

However, if the undersize bullets are plated, I can almost guarantee poor accuracy ranging all the way to keyholing at 10 yards.

Always do a push test after seating a bullet for any cartridge. Always.

I got a 1000 bullets to try at one point. 124 grain fmj. 

When I looked at them some jackets were only part way filled with lead. When i  measured them they were .354 .

I gave the away telling the recipient the the bullets were small in diameter.