Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought a used Stock I - help me identify parts + future upgrades

My kid bought a slightly used Tanfo Stock I to try and possibly replace her Shadow 1.

Out of the box, the trigger was still very gritty. I took the pistol apart and gave it a good cleaning and deburr / mild polish.

It seems the gentleman who previously owned it had some upgrades done.

• Mag release button - silver coloured, aluminium.
  • Trigger - looks less curved compared to stock photos. Previous owner says it could be the double action Xtreme trigger.
  • Trigger bar - looks stock, black finish, had been slightly sanded on the sides, but the most important surfaces were left as is.
  • Trigger bar guide - looks stock, black finish, top surface polished, stem left as is with rough machining marks.
  • Sear cage - looks stock, black finish.
  • Sear - 2-piece, looks stock, black finish.
  • Hammer - looks different from stock photos. Could be a factory hammer from Stock 3?
  • Disconnector - looks stock, black finish, one wing.
  • Safety - stock, he had an ambi extended safety, hence the wear marks on the frame.
  • Firing pin - silver finish.
  • Firing pin safety - grey finish, sear contact surface polished.
  • Guide rod - silver finish, looks like an Xtreme part.
  • Sights - adjustable LPA.
  • Springs - unknown.

After the cleanup, DA is much smoother, with some stacking. SA is smooth, with some creep and more pre-travel than we like (her Shadow 1 has race hammer and hand-fitted pre-B disconnector, my Shadow 2 runs Cajun hammer and T5 disco). Would BOLO disco + Titan hammer fix that?

Grip: front and back surfaces are quite slippery, need grip tape. The silver EGW grips are on the thin side, she wants something skinny at the top with some meat to fill the palm, thicker than EGW, but thinner than the stock wood grips.

Magazines: we have a pile of MecGar CZ mags, with metal base pads they seem to fit the Tanfo - any issues down the road with MecGars?

Haven't had the chance to live fire it, still waiting for paperwork.

Stock1b.jpg

upper_parts.jpg

Well it looks like you have a very serviceable pistol. The hammer is from an old Tanfoglio or a CZ. Guide rod is an extreme part. Trigger is the extreme part. The safety looks like a CZ part. Not sure about the firing pin, firing pin block and the firing pin spring, these look original. You’ll need to do some polishing while your waiting for some parts to come in. I would get an extreme sear to replace the 2 piece along with an extreme firing pin spring. You might want to get a new hammer spring 13 or 14lb from patriot defense. They have color coded their recoil springs and you could get the set or choose the 8 and 9lb springs fro patriot defense. Polishing instructions by Memphis Mechanic (great instructions). You will understand how this pistol works after taking it apart, polishing and reassembling. They truly are fun to work on. 

Great, thanks!

I am pretty sure the safety is original from this very pistol, because it fits and looks correct from both sides. Might get a wide thumb rest style safety - she tried holding a large frame Limited Custom Xtreme, said the grip fit her well and she liked the extended safety.

Do regular Tanfoglio firing pins and FPB have black finish? The FPB spring is there, just not in the picture.

This Stock 1 is small frame. It came with one mag that fits in our Shadows just fine.

It will be an IPSC Production gun, so can't really do much polishing, only remove burrs and smooth out really bad stuff.

It is a small frame. Missed that. Yup, firing pin and block are black. You can polish them up also. If I remember correctly EAA stopped importing small frames in 2005. I personally put the extended ambi safety’s on my competition pistols. Makes it easier for me to put and remove the safety. Enjoy!

On 5/1/2021 at 5:28 PM, Siberian said:

Would BOLO disco + Titan hammer fix that?

Yes, does make quite a difference. It will make tanfo very close to cz.

On 5/2/2021 at 6:11 AM, N7VY said:

Well it looks like you have a very serviceable pistol. The hammer is from an old Tanfoglio or a CZ. Guide rod is an extreme part. Trigger is the extreme part. The safety looks like a CZ part. Not sure about the firing pin, firing pin block and the firing pin spring, these look original. You’ll need to do some polishing while your waiting for some parts to come in. I would get an extreme sear to replace the 2 piece along with an extreme firing pin spring. You might want to get a new hammer spring 13 or 14lb from patriot defense. They have color coded their recoil springs and you could get the set or choose the 8 and 9lb springs fro patriot defense. Polishing instructions by Memphis Mechanic (great instructions). You will understand how this pistol works after taking it apart, polishing and reassembling. They truly are fun to work on. 

hammer and safety are Tanfoglio parts (not from cz) but from different Tan.  models😉

• 2 weeks later...

Send the serial number to EAA and they will give you the history of the gun. Also if you have CZ75 magazines available try one in the gun. If it fits you have the small frame. 

I thought the S1 only sold by EAA as a large frame. Better to check with them. 

one last thing, follow Memphis Mechanic’s video on YouTube about how to polish Tanfoglio. It will do wonders!

Edited by HesedTech

This is Canadian import, latest revision. Stock 1 was introduced in 2017 or so, not sure when they started importing this model.

gun_5_large__87528.1527721269.1280.1280_

I did go through Memphis Mechanic's videos to disassemble and deburr the guts. Very helpful, and it was quite interesting to see the similarities and differences vs our Shadows.

Test fired the pistol. Accuracy is ok, limited by my far-sightedness. Trigger is so-so: long reset and SA pre-travel, very long SA creep, similar to out-of-the-box CZ SP01.

CZ75 mags work fine after switching base pads (the original MecGar plastic pads prevent the mag from being fully inserted).

Kiddo tried a couple of drills, she was much faster with her current Shadow 1, no surprise, given it was the first time out with the Tanfo.

I found Tanfo's recoil nice and soft with our 128-130PF loads.

On the fence between keeping it or trading for another Shadow 2.

11 hours ago, Siberian said:

CZ75 mags work fine after switching base pads (the original MecGar plastic pads prevent the mag from being fully inserted).

Yep, small frame.

Personal opinion, I am fully committed to my Tanfoglios, but my son shoots the CZ Shadow 2 and has the 75 as a backup gun. Right out of the box I believe the CZ Shadow series is a better competition gun. But, they (CZ) cost more and the Tanfoglios are easier to tune.

In the end they both shoot very accurate and have a fair amount of support.