Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 for CO, TLR9 or no

Bunnies4r5

Hey guys,

Right now I shoot a glock 19 with tlr8a in uspsa CO. I was running it without the light before the rule change and it worked great but I do feel like I shoot better with the light on there. I don't know if it actually does or if it's placebo but it just seems to shoot flatter.

My 19 is my competition and bedside gun but I'm gearing up to buy a gen 5 34 mos for CO and I am wondering if it is worth my while to add the tlr9. I feel like there isn't really a down side, extra weight on the barrel= flatter shooting no? I have always used redhill tactical holsters on a boss hanger and I don't know if they support the tlr9 so I may have to switch that up. But yea, I wanted to get your guys opinions.

I know lights are new to the uspsa scene so I don't know if any of you have actual experience, at my club I'm the only person running with a light. But maybe you've at least shot one at the range? I have shot a 34 at the range without a light and it felt really good but I would assume it would feel even better with the light on there. With my 19 the gun doesn't dip at all and is balanced perfectly, I don't know if the same will be true with the longer slide and longer light so I'm hoping you guys may know.

Thanks in advance!

My main comp gun since I started has been a Glock 34 Gen 3. 
I looked at the TLR-9 but went with a TLR-1HL instead because there were more holster options. I’m currently running a T-Rex Arms Ragnarok. 
I’m happy with it so far how it shoots, physics would say it has to help to have weight out on the front. 

34 minutes ago, Edwards30 said:

My main comp gun since I started has been a Glock 34 Gen 3. 
I looked at the TLR-9 but went with a TLR-1HL instead because there were more holster options. I’m currently running a T-Rex Arms Ragnarok. 
I’m happy with it so far how it shoots, physics would say it has to help to have weight out on the front. 

Awesome, yea I'd really like to go with the tlr9 but I'm not seeing really any holster options for it, I'm gonna email redhill and see what they can do, I really like their holsters

Hello, the testing I have been trying is with the G45, G17 and G34 all gen 5's MOS. For me the G17 MOS is the winner. It just shoots quicker for me and very flat. I don't use a flashlight and don't see the need for one if you set the pistol up for your loads and shooting style. I am using 124/125 grain bullets at 131-134PF. I am using a Jentra tungsten guide rod for the Wolff recoil springs and Zev adapter. The springs are Wolff 12lb and 13lb(still testing to see what I prefer). Trigger is either a Timney(red spring) or one I did myself. "-" connecter, extended magazine release, Carver brass insert. Red dots are Holosun 507C and an Alpha 3 8MOA. Adapters are C&H Precision and a C-More RTS2 for the red dots. No sights since I don't need them. Factory Glock magazines with either TTI +3, Zev +5 or Arredondo +5. For me the G34 just seems to take a little longer to get back on target and the G45 was a little bit too snappy but I did like the G45 more than the G34 for a carry optic setup. You can take this for what it is worth since I am only a "A" shooter older gent that tries to go fast. Thanks, Eric

On 5/1/2021 at 8:36 AM, Bunnies4r5 said:

Hey guys,

Right now I shoot a glock 19 with tlr8a in uspsa CO. I was running it without the light before the rule change and it worked great but I do feel like I shoot better with the light on there. I don't know if it actually does or if it's placebo but it just seems to shoot flatter.

My 19 is my competition and bedside gun but I'm gearing up to buy a gen 5 34 mos for CO and I am wondering if it is worth my while to add the tlr9. I feel like there isn't really a down side, extra weight on the barrel= flatter shooting no? I have always used redhill tactical holsters on a boss hanger and I don't know if they support the tlr9 so I may have to switch that up. But yea, I wanted to get your guys opinions.

I know lights are new to the uspsa scene so I don't know if any of you have actual experience, at my club I'm the only person running with a light. But maybe you've at least shot one at the range? I have shot a 34 at the range without a light and it felt really good but I would assume it would feel even better with the light on there. With my 19 the gun doesn't dip at all and is balanced perfectly, I don't know if the same will be true with the longer slide and longer light so I'm hoping you guys may know.

Thanks in advance!

You need to try out different things to figure out what you like.  Or just pick one set up and stick with it and never think about it again. 

It doesn’t really matter. Just go shoot what you got/want. 

You’re gonna get widely varying opinions that will be passed off as legitimately tried and tested experiments from experts. When in reality, it’s just people shooting and how they feel. 

On 5/1/2021 at 10:18 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, the testing I have been trying is with the G45, G17 and G34 all gen 5's MOS. For me the G17 MOS is the winner. It just shoots quicker for me and very flat. I don't use a flashlight and don't see the need for one if you set the pistol up for your loads and shooting style. I am using 124/125 grain bullets at 131-134PF. I am using a Jentra tungsten guide rod for the Wolff recoil springs and Zev adapter. The springs are Wolff 12lb and 13lb(still testing to see what I prefer). Trigger is either a Timney(red spring) or one I did myself. "-" connecter, extended magazine release, Carver brass insert. Red dots are Holosun 507C and an Alpha 3 8MOA. Adapters are C&H Precision and a C-More RTS2 for the red dots. No sights since I don't need them. Factory Glock magazines with either TTI +3, Zev +5 or Arredondo +5. For me the G34 just seems to take a little longer to get back on target and the G45 was a little bit too snappy but I did like the G45 more than the G34 for a carry optic setup. You can take this for what it is worth since I am only a "A" shooter older gent that tries to go fast. Thanks, Eric

Does the Carver insert extend out too far flor Carry Optics Division?  I don’t know why I thought it did when I looked at it. How much does it weigh?

thanks. 

It's all really personal preference. I like my G34 MOS without a light on it. But I can see that adding the weight of a light might help some with recoil.

Hello, the Carver brass insert I use does not stick out past the grip. It still fits the box. I don't know the weight of it but it does balance out the tungsten guide rod I am using. I do wish they made an insert that was longer like the Seattle Slug I use on my G34 Gen 3. I cut the brass plug flush on it. I still don't see the need for more weight up front. Cater your load and balance the springs and you should be good on the Gen 5 G17 at least. Thanks, Eric

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2021 at 10:18 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Similar results Eric. Except I haven’t tried the G 17 just yet. Between the G 45 and G 34, I have stuck with the G 45 and my holosun. I am debating about swapping out recoil springs and maybe playing with a DPP. But the G45 is my duty gun and one of my carry guns so it checks a lot of boxes. Only because I do like to tinker and test, I might play with a G 17 just to see. Then again I am too old and far beyond my GM-M competitive days. Now just having fun w my kid teaching him.