Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long sleeve shirt for cool temperatures

jstagn

Have several long sleeve shirts to wear under shooting short sleeve shirt, however don’t feel comfortable on draw and just roll up sleeves to elbows, back down when stage finishes. Noticed several competitors very tight fitting sleeves. Appreciate recommendations for cooler NOT cold weather. Thanks 

Not necessarily during shooting, but I’ve had good luck with Under Armor stuff. The material just seems to regulate temperature well for me. It comes in Heat Gear and Cold Gear. The Cold gear is just heavier and worn like long johns.  You would probably want their Compression fit so it fits tightly on your arms and not snag. Plus with the compression it helps with cramps and blood flow as a side bonus. 

Edited by Farmer
Sp

I occasionally try out compression arm gaiters.  The ones that I have are kind of like a spandex material about 1/16" thick. 

When the wind isn't blowing (or if I have any kind of jacket on), they help keep my arms warm. 

Without a jacket, when the wind blows (even a little bit), my arms are cooled off a LOT!  It's almost better to go without the gaiters if there's a breeze.

I think my experience is showing that the gaiters that I have are better as a hot weather cooling option, esp when misted with cool water, than a cool weather warming option. 

The ones that appear to be made of some kind of fleece would be interesting to try in cooler weather, though. 

Have you thought about a lightweight version of thermals? When I lived in the Midwest, I built a collection of tight-fitting thermal type shirts designed for varying levels of cold - from winter to fall/spring. The lightest were great for the situations you describe. Then you can just wear your regular short-sleeve shooting shirt on top of it.

Edited by tbarker13

I have a couple of different weight compression tops that I wear under my normal shirt.  Nike (which I will never buy anything from again), under armor and other manufacturers make different weight (thickness of material) compression tops and bottoms.  This way I can wear the appropriate weight for a given weather condition.  They can also be used as a layer for cold weather gear, under and normal jacket or coat.  Plus some of the Under Armour tops have UV protection as well.

Costco have the 32* brand air mesh long sleeve shirts with 40 SPF protection right now. They’re the summer version of thermal underwear and really nice. I bought a package (two shirts) when I I went to Costco earlier.

https://www.costco.com/32-degrees-men's-long-sleeve-air-mesh-tee%2c-2-pack.product.100678156.html

image.jpeg.eda0e9bece105cfcbc588c2972787549.jpeg

1 hour ago, jstagn said:

Who makes compression light weight with SPF ?

I have no affiliation with Under Armour, but they make one. I have not used theirs because I mostly wear short sleeves during the warm months. 

The thing to know is Heatgear is designed for summer and Coldgear is for winter. 

Edited by Boomstick303

Like @Farmer said, I've been wearing UA heat and cold gear for over a decade. It's pricey stuff but holds up well to regular wear. I work outdoors hot summers and cold winters and it is really nice stuff. 

I've tried some knock off stuff and it just wasn't the same fit and feel.

Recently I've been using the white short sleeved version of the the Costco air mesh Tee shirt since I wore out most of my old Nordic Track performance Tee's.  I like them and the price is right.

https://www.costco.com/32-degrees-men's-air-mesh-tee-4-pack.product.100667638.html

under my standard Van Heusen white dress shirt.  Generally around $14-$16 at any Ross store nationwide if I need an emergency replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/Van-Heusen-Poplin-Regular-Collar/dp/B009ESZFMC/ref=sr_1_3

2002 USPSA Handgun Nationals

2002%20stage%202.jpg

2015 USPSA Multigun Nationals (Only 2 sizes up on the shirt!)

sting20150424-113%20small.jpg

Nolan

Edited by Nolan