Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to dry fire when you can't have a real gun


Recommended Posts

Hey guys, I have searched the Google box and found a few options but I am looking for some advice from some of the experts here. I will start with some background info on myself. I have been shooting USPSA for a couple years now. I dry fire whenever I can but I am looking to get serious and dry fire daily at least 5 days a week. I work in subsea robotics offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. I work a lot. Sometimes I am offshore for 1 to 2 months at a time and maybe have 2 to 3 weeks home... 4 weeks if I am lucky. By the time I get caught up on everything that I couldn't do while I was at work, I don't have much time for training. I do shoot local matches every time that I am home but I am not seeing much improvement. I am pretty good accuracy wise, but I am very weak when it comes to draws, reloads and finding my dot quickly. I have been shooting open for the last year but I am switching over to carry optics. I have 2 Glock 34's set up and I am trying to figure out how to dry fire without an actual gun. My job does not allow actual firearms offshore.. big no no. I did talk to the captain and the client representative on the boat I am working on now, and they said there should be no problem bringing a fake gun such as something made of wood or plastic. I could also bring my belt, holster and DAA dry fire mags. I have been looking at the weighted Blue Gun option which I could attach a dot to by either screwing it on or using some type of JB weld or epoxy. That could take care of practicing draws, transitions and movement. However, I would not be able to do any sort of reload drills. I just discovered the Smart Firearms PF-30 which has a functional trigger, removable weighted magazine, but I don't know how well I could attach a red dot due to the battery / electronics compartment being on top where the red dot would go. Another route I am seeing which may be my best best is the SIRT which has a trigger that moves and a releasable magazine. Does anyone know if it will take standard Glock magazines? If so, that may be the direction I lean toward. I also stumbled across a company that will mill the slide for an optic which is awesome. The down side I am seeing though is that it only comes in a G17 size and no option for a 34 which wouldnt be a complete deal breaker. I imagine that it would still somewhat fit my G34 holster. I have thought of buying one of the Glock training barrels and installing that and taking the chance of bringing my actual gun but, depending on the captain / client on whatever boat I am working on, that could turn into a bad idea quickly. So, with all of that said, is there anyone here that is in a similar situation and has come up with a good solution? Even if you aren't in the same situation, shoot some ideas out that we could possibly come up with something that would take care of being able to train draws, reloads and dot index. If I could get something figured out, I would have a lot of time for training when I am at work. I work 12 hour shifts so I could easily dry fire for an hour or more a day for weeks / months at a time. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by rovpilot337
Link to post
Share on other sites

SIRT pistol. Yes it is only 17 sized. Yes you would have to cobble a mounting system. But it has a moveable trigger and your Glock mags will fit in it. And if you have access to your laptop and a camera you could do any of the laser based dry fire programs.

 

Have someone 3D print you a Glock 34. That would better than a carved plastic or wooden item.

 

Airsoft version of your gun if they are available.

Edited by rowdyb
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

SIRT pistol. Yes it is only 17 sized. Yes you would have to cobble a mounting system. But it has a moveable trigger and your Glock mags will fit in it. And if you have access to your laptop and a camera you could do any of the laser based dry fire programs.

 

Have someone 3D print you a Glock 34. That would better than a carved plastic or wooden item.

 

Airsoft version of your gun if they are available.

Thanks Rowdy. The more I am reading into the SIRT, the more it is making me lean in that direction. I know it is only G17 sized but correct me if I am wrong, the difference should be very minimal being that I will be using a red dot vs irons. I like that it is weighted and has the abililty to use simulator programs. As I stated above, I just need to figure out what direction to go with for mounting a red dot. I will keep researching and listening to advice before making a decision. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is doing something with a physical gun that is a close approximation better than doing nothing because you can't find an exact analog? I would rather do something close than just rely solely on visualization.

 

You can take the "slide" off the SIRT pistol, it's how you change the battery and make trigger adjustments, and this will give you a clearer idea about how to mill and tap a mount for your dot. You obviously have the means and desire and would end up using this product a fair bit. I would probably end up sacrificing a dot and attach it with an adhesive into a milled pocket of the SIRT slide. No tapping holes, no mounting plate. Probably an easier way to match it up to your real gun's height over bore.

 

I imagine running a Cool Fire system would bring you over the "real gun on board" line...

Edited by rowdyb
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Is doing something with a physical gun that is a close approximation better than doing nothing because you can't find an exact analog? I would rather do something close than just rely solely on visualization.

 

You can take the "slide" off the SIRT pistol, it's how you change the battery and make trigger adjustments, and this will give you a clearer idea about how to mill and tap a mount for your dot. You obviously have the means and desire and would end up using this product a fair bit. I would probably end up sacrificing a dot and attach it with an adhesive into a milled pocket of the SIRT slide. No tapping holes, no mounting plate. Probably an easier way to match it up to your real gun's height over bore.

 

I imagine running a Cool Fire system would bring you over the "real gun on board" line...

Yeah, I think anything that utilizes my real slide and lower may possibly get me in trouble. I am currently researching red dot mounting solutions for the SIRT. There is the dovetail mount option that would put the optic pretty high and may jack with my index so I feel milling would be my best bet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rovpilot337 said:

Yeah, I think anything that utilizes my real slide and lower may possibly get me in trouble. I am currently researching red dot mounting solutions for the SIRT. There is the dovetail mount option that would put the optic pretty high and may jack with my index so I feel milling would be my best bet. 

I'd take a look at the 3d printed world and see if there is anything there.

 

I second the sirt, I have one and its probably your best option at this point. Or just 3d print a whole glock and use that but you likely won't be able to practice mag changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Government boat or private? Have you asked if you can disable your gun somehow and see if they’ll make an exception? If you have then I guess you’ll have to figure something out. You can probably find an airsoft that is a pretty good copy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sarge said:

Government boat or private? Have you asked if you can disable your gun somehow and see if they’ll make an exception? If you have then I guess you’ll have to figure something out. You can probably find an airsoft that is a pretty good copy.

Sarge, I work on boats ran by a private company. However there are a lot of rules that we have to follow from the Coast Gaurd. Anyways, I did talk with the higher ups and they are telling me that a gun is a gun whether disassembled or not. However, after to talking with Rowdy and doing research all day, I just in the last 5 minutes ordered a SIRT and will give that a try. I can manipulate the trigger and do mag changes which is important to me. I will need to mount a red dot so I think I am going to try the dove tail mount first to see if it ok... if I find it too high and screwing up my index, I will mill out a section and set the SRO lower. I will update once I get it going on how it works out for me. I really do appreciate the feedback and ideas.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had this same issue at my last duty station and also going to sea. Like @rowdyb suggested the SIRT pistol is probably your best bet. I was allowed to have mine onboard along with my USPSA belt. The SIRT pistol also comes with a weighted magazine to help with reloads. If you really want to get crazy there are laser target apps for your iphone that can show hits. I used this a lot to shoot DOT torture in my state room. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doge said:

I had this same issue at my last duty station and also going to sea. Like @rowdyb suggested the SIRT pistol is probably your best bet. I was allowed to have mine onboard along with my USPSA belt. The SIRT pistol also comes with a weighted magazine to help with reloads. If you really want to get crazy there are laser target apps for your iphone that can show hits. I used this a lot to shoot DOT torture in my state room. 

Thanks. I ordered a SIRT yesterday since it seemed like the best bet. It checks off all the boxes of what I was looking for while still being legal to have offshore. I am still trying to figure out the best way to attach a red dot. I will try the dovetail mount first but I'd prefer for it to sit lower like my real pistols. I will most likely try and find someone with a drill press / router / mill to take some material off and then attach the red dot with some adhesive. The other thing I am looking at is planning a way to attach some extended base pads to the magazines. I may end up gringing down the bottom lip and then trying to attach some base pads using adhesive to match my normal mags as best as possible. I definitely plan on getting a good app to use with it. I can have a lot of fun with the guys offshore competing as well as my kids at home. I have a 13 year old and a 15 year old that I am trying to get into USPSA. Maybe this will help. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rovpilot337 said:

extended base pads to the magazines

So I take it an actual magazine is out of the question? Because regular Glock mags of course fit in the SIRT pistol. Maybe there is an airsoft Glock variant mag that is 140mm....

 

I'm sure you could get a 3D printed mag or two that closely mimicked your actual competition mags.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

So I take it an actual magazine is out of the question? Because regular Glock mags of course fit in the SIRT pistol. Maybe there is an airsoft Glock variant mag that is 140mm....

 

I'm sure you could get a 3D printed mag or two that closely mimicked your actual competition mags.

Rowdy... I am definitely going to try actual magazines. I also have some of the DAA dummy mags on order. I am just looking at a worse case scenario. From what I have found researching, I am hearing that some mags will work while others will be very tight, get hung up going in and not drop free. I am just looking at all options so that when I am hundreds of miles aways from home on a boat I have stuff I know will work. Thanks again. I appreciate all feedback and ideas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

Let me know what you decide or a mounting option. I have a sirt pistol and shoot a g45 mos for Carry optics. 

Roger that. I sure will.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My sirt gun is from 2013 and i epoxied a weight  in it to mimic my g34 exactly at the time. So I can't get the slide off or I would have already to look at milling a dot footprint.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2021 at 9:04 AM, rovpilot337 said:

Thanks. I ordered a SIRT yesterday since it seemed like the best bet. It checks off all the boxes of what I was looking for while still being legal to have offshore. I am still trying to figure out the best way to attach a red dot. I will try the dovetail mount first but I'd prefer for it to sit lower like my real pistols. I will most likely try and find someone with a drill press / router / mill to take some material off and then attach the red dot with some adhesive. The other thing I am looking at is planning a way to attach some extended base pads to the magazines. I may end up gringing down the bottom lip and then trying to attach some base pads using adhesive to match my normal mags as best as possible. I definitely plan on getting a good app to use with it. I can have a lot of fun with the guys offshore competing as well as my kids at home. I have a 13 year old and a 15 year old that I am trying to get into USPSA. Maybe this will help. 



C&H provides slide milling for the SIRT

https://chpws.com/product/next-level-training-sirt-training-pistol-optic-milling

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rovpilot337 said:

Thanks bro. I will definitely be looking at going that route so make it as close to real as possible.


No problem, dont mind the dirty coveralls but this was my setup. I usually did dryfire in my stateroom or office to not cause alarm. Also the SIRT pistol was used for training some of the crew trigger control. I had Vogel sights installed on mine. 

sirt2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doge said:


No problem, dont mind the dirty coveralls but this was my setup. I usually did dryfire in my stateroom or office to not cause alarm. Also the SIRT pistol was used for training some of the crew trigger control. I had Vogel sights installed on mine. 

sirt2.jpg

I was a squid myself. I was a CTT from 2000 to 2004. After a year in Pensacola for "A" school and direct support "C" school I did 3 years shore duty at NSGA Yokosuka. I was supposed to be direct support and be primarily shore duty but get sea time as a direct support operator however, when I arrived in Yokosuka the direct support side was full so I got stuck on shore duty my entire time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rovpilot337 said:

I was a squid myself. I was a CTT from 2000 to 2004. After a year in Pensacola for "A" school and direct support "C" school I did 3 years shore duty at NSGA Yokosuka. I was supposed to be direct support and be primarily shore duty but get sea time as a direct support operator however, when I arrived in Yokosuka the direct support side was full so I got stuck on shore duty my entire time. 


Nice! I got along with the CTs on my ship and that's awesome you did shore duty your time in. I just got off sea duty last year and enjoying shore duty now. Thanks for your service and hope you didn't drink too many Chu-Hi s in Japan hahaha. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Doge said:


Nice! I got along with the CTs on my ship and that's awesome you did shore duty your time in. I just got off sea duty last year and enjoying shore duty now. Thanks for your service and hope you didn't drink too many Chu-Hi s in Japan hahaha. 

Great to see fellow squids stationed in Japan. Those Chu-Hi’s were the best drink you can get from the Lawson, 7-11 stores and vending machines. You guys probably spent too much time in Blue street.

 

Did two tours in Yoko and retired off of the George Washington in 2011. My kids miss the yakitori at the end of blue stree close to the train station.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Doge said:


Nice! I got along with the CTs on my ship and that's awesome you did shore duty your time in. I just got off sea duty last year and enjoying shore duty now. Thanks for your service and hope you didn't drink too many Chu-Hi s in Japan hahaha. 

Same to you brother. And yes... those Chu-Hi vending machines ate a lot of my money.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...