Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Holster Legal for Production Div

varminter22

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really like this topic, and have thought about the exact same thing myself. Even to the point that I modified my 2.5” Comp-Tac holster (same kind that was shown at the beginning of this thread), and wrapped the end of the barrel in kydex to protect the end of the barrel. Yes, it looks horrible, but now I have a production legal holster. The difference in my approach is that I have never registered in production division with it, just revolver. But with the PractiScore Competitor app, I can combine Revo with Prod to see how I stack up. Could always do this regardless of holster, but now it allows me to satisfy the exact same equipment rules and compare myself with others since Revolver participation is low. Plus, as has been mentioned before, the draw doesn’t matter that much in you overall performance. 

I think production is the closest other division to being directly competitive, given the minor power factor, iron sights, and closest (8 vs 10) capacity. The only thing you are giving up (vs optimized Revo gear) is the race holster, and that isn’t that big of a deal. Of course you are still at a huge disadvantage, the reloads alone are like an extra second (assuming you are even that efficient), and you will probably do at least one more reload per stage. We’re not saying that you will be on the same playing field as a shadow 2, just that it is the closest apples to oranges comparison that you’ll get. Give up a few tenths on the draw to satisfy exactly the same division requirements as production, thus allowing a direct (albeit disadvantaged) comparison of scores. But as I said before, it’s really more of an academic comparison, as I would advocate registering for revolver division anyway in a local (keeps at least some representation of the revolver division in the sport). But maybe if you wanted to shoot revolver in a level 2/area match, and wanted to compete in a recognized division, then you could register for production division (hopefully one class below your Revo classification).

8 hours ago, twodownzero said:

If you don't care about being competitive, why not just shoot in the many other divisions in which your equipment is legal?  Open, Limited, Limited-10, and Revolver all seem to fit.

I agree with J Allen.  

And by the way, who said "don't care about being competitive"?  

This horse has already been beaten, but I'll say it again, "IF a person is competitive in Production Div C Class (for example) with a revolver, then he/she IS competitive!"  

Production Nationals in MT--I was on Jerry's squad when he used a revolver.

Jerry, ever the nice guy, said, "that right popper is slow to fall, pound it down with extra hits."

Duh.

On 4/7/2021 at 9:36 PM, varminter22 said:

I agree with J Allen.  

And by the way, who said "don't care about being competitive"?  

This horse has already been beaten, but I'll say it again, "IF a person is competitive in Production Div C Class (for example) with a revolver, then he/she IS competitive!"  

I think a revolver is more competitive in revolver division even with production-legal equipment than it'd ever be in production.

But I also think they should have left the revolver rules alone and kept the 6 round capacity and told the 8 round revolvers to play in production, where I agree with you, they can be very competitive.

I don't think enough classifiers involve reloading to make it apples to apples when it comes to the classification system like you seem to, but I also think the classification system is BS and should be abolished along with categories.  These things aren't doing any work.