Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200gr Vs. 230gr Bullets: Why Do You Prefer One Over The Other?

hmp32

200gr vs. 230gr Bullets: why do you prefer one over the other?

My goal is simply to understand why some folks like 230gr bullets

and why some like 200gr bullets. The brand/type (ie lead, molly,

plated, jacketed) would be interesting to hear about, but I am less

interested in brand, and more interested in simply why one weight vs.

another.

Edited by hmp32

i like 230 grain round nose bullets better than any other because it doesnt take a super tuned pistol to shoot them 100 percent.

some guns dont like semi wad cutters.

some guns dont like jacketed hollow points

just about every gun will shoot FMJ.

rainier plated bullets in my 45 were the best for the money.

I shooot 200gr swc out of most of my .45's. I have never had a problem feeding the 200gr bullets, though I will agree that most ppl find the large rn bullets to feed better for them. I like the way that the pistol feels with the 200gr bullets compared to the 230. The gun works a little quicker. I shoot mostly open so I prefer snappier type recoil rather than a slower extended push that I get with 230's.

My comped .45 I shoot 155gr bullets to get the comp to work.

I like 200 swc. The big thing for me is the difference in recoil. More snappy than a 230 gr. They work in my guns just fine. I use Rainer plated. Tried some lead and they shot great but when I had to shoot multiple targets from under a table, either I had to add targeting radar or cut back on the smoke. (They did make the ROs back off a bit though :P ) The big-ass holes are real nice. I have had many SWC Alphas! And you can see them a mile away if that's important.

Just to complicate things for you, some guys also like 185 gr!

Later,

Chuck

I've been using both. For IPSC major, 230gr. with Clays or VV N310 feels the softest to me. I tried several variations of 200gr. major loads, but the recoil seemed too harsh to me. I have noticed that guys who shoot a lot of Open guns prefer the lighter bullet, so I guess they're just used to the gun slamming into their hand. For Steel Challenge stuff, I've been using 200gr. bullets loaded at a minor level. Loading 230gr. minor feels too slow for fast steel stages. I'm thinking about trying some 185gr. for kicks.

I've used a lot of Rainier plated bullets in the past and those worked good (although my Kimber doesn't seem to like their SWC.) I've been using Precision moly coated bullets as a less expensive alternative lately. They shoot OK, but in my barrel they lead pretty bad. Other people don't have this problem and I think I've got a rough spot in my barrel. I also have to seat the bullets fairly deep to get them to feed reliably. I just got in some Zero 230gr. FMJs and so far I love them! Groups are tighter than other bullets I've tried and they aren't much more expensive than plated, considering that there are several vendors who will ship in USPS flat rate boxes. Unfortunately, Zero doesn't make a 200gr. RN, so I'll have to give their 185 or 200gr. JHPs a try.

When I'm using my Glock 30 for target practice, my theory is light bullet/fast powder out of a short barrel, so I use either 200grn lrn's or lrnfp's. Way better accuracy for me than 230 grainers. My home defense round for that gun is Corbon powerball (165 grns). In my 1911 Springfield, which I use exclusively for target work, I use 200grn lswc's.

Bronson7

I currently shoot a 200 GR FP loaded to about 172 p.f. with Viht 340

At a given power factor, a heavier bullet gives less recoil.

Therefore, I am planning on working up a 230 gr. load.

However, loading a heavy bullet down to bare major makes for a load too light to operate reliably without a lighter recoil spring.

I am interested to see if I can create an advantage in recoil and still get acceptable cycle time.

Maybe faster powder will help.

We'll see.

Tls

I like the 200gr SWC, simply becasuse I like the SWC. I was shooting the SWC before I started shooting USPSA and just haven't tried anything else to see if it will make a difference in recoil. I shoot lead because of the price. Interesting enough, like AustinMike, neither of my Springers liked the Ranier plated SWC when I tried them. Even though both guns feed the lead SWC's just fine.

Right now I am using the 230 grain RN/FMJ by Zero for most of my .45 shooting.

Why: because most of the .45 that I have fired this year, was fired in my S&W Model 625 REVOLVER, and the round nose reloads best into the wheelgun. Accuracy is good enough for IPSC/IDPA, and it is very reliable in my assorted 1911's.

I do have some .45 loaded with the 200 grain SWC, either Rainer plated or lead H&G 68's (local bullet caster), but it is set up for paper punching/target work. I've used the SWC for Bullseye and PPC, but feeding/function reliability in my 1911's has been an issue, so I don't use the SWC for IPSC/IDPA.

I prefer the push of the 230 grain bullet compared to the slightly snappier feel of 200 grain bullets.

Oddly enough, I don't much care for the feel of 200 grain .40 bullets compared to the 180s.

It took me a while to pick one or the other. After a few thousand I saw that the 230gr. LRN never failed to feed. The pistol I'm using always has one super-locked-death-jam every 400-1000rds. with 200gr. SWCs, the kind that leaves a mark between the bullet and the case that looks like you drove a center-punch in there. I mean, back when I used a heavier spring, it almost took a hammer to open the slide.

Plus the 230gr. load seems less noisy. Other than those two points, I could live with either one.

The 200gr.SWC does make pretty holes though :P .

Edited by JD45

neither of my Springers liked the Ranier plated SWC when I tried them. Even though both guns feed the lead SWC's just fine.

Lead's slicker than the Rainier coating...one 45 I have jams a RN Rainier at the top of the ramp about 1 in 30...large smiley...shoots lead just fine, even SWC.

/Bryan