Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

160 gr. load help

rooster mcbee

I want to load some 160 gr. Black Bullets for my S+W 929 using Sport Pistol powder.  These will be used for Steel Challenge and ICORE matches.  I have in mind starting with 2.8 grs. and going up from there to meet PF.  Should I start lower, or is this too low already?  Also, what OAL should I load.  Thanks, Doug

Don't use Plated Bullet Data for a Coated Bullet.  Plated bullets usually take the same as a Jacketed Bullet but Coated takes less for the same velocity.

Hopefully you have a Chrono, and you are on the right track with your starting load.

Also since you're using it in a Revolver load it as long as you like.  I'd start at 1.150" oal.

13 hours ago, rooster mcbee said:

I want to load some 160 gr. Black Bullets for my S+W 929 using Sport Pistol powder.  These will be used for Steel Challenge and ICORE matches.  I have in mind starting with 2.8 grs. and going up from there to meet PF.  Should I start lower, or is this too low already?  Also, what OAL should I load.  Thanks, Doug

If Alliant got that fast with 3.1, I’d assume you’ll be close with 2.8.

I’d start a little lower, probably 2.6, but I think you’re on the right track. 

12 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Don't use Plated Bullet Data for a Coated Bullet.  Plated bullets usually take the same as a Jacketed Bullet but Coated takes less for the same velocity.

True, but when you're considering maximum pressures plated data is safe with coated. Velocity can only be determined with a chrono, not a book.

14 hours ago, ysrracer said:

My 929 (any everybody I've ever talked to) slugged at .357. I used the same 160gr Bayou bullets in both my 929 and 627.

In my Glock/1911's .358 gave issues between needing to seat them out further and/or fit.

I've actually been working on .356 coated bullet loads in my 627's.  Have some 135 & 145 RN from Acme and they're giving me the same accuracy as the 160 RN Bayou's.

All with 2.9 ClayDot, .358/160=133pf, .356/145=115pf, .356/135=96pf.  

So with the same set up on the 1050, same powder bar, 160's for USPSA/ICORE, 145 or 135 for SC (can also be used for my 9's in USPSA) at least that's the plan!