Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noobie suppressor question. Adjustable gas block vs adjustable BCG

Nick_shoots_fast

I got my paperwork filled out and the clock starting on my first suppressor on Monday. 

My question is relating to gas pressure. My buddy has an adjustable BCG so when he fires suppressed, he has less gas in the face.  I’ve been looking into them and they are crazy expensive!  So what’s the difference between this and an adjustable gas block?  The gas block is way less expensive and sounds like it does the same thing. Thoughts?

Edited by Atlasguy321

Well, with the adjustable bcg, the gas is still going through the tube back to receiver.  Seems to me having the gas bleed off at the front is a better arrangement.  It should be more efficient/consistent and also help keep the internals clean longer.  About the only advantage I can see for the adjustable bcg is that if your gas block is difficult to access, then the bcg may be quicker/easier to adjust.  Personally, I'd go with the adjustable gas block and spend the extra scratch on parts or ammo.

15 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Well, with the adjustable bcg, the gas is still going through the tube back to receiver.  Seems to me having the gas bleed off at the front is a better arrangement.  It should be more efficient/consistent and also help keep the internals clean longer.  About the only advantage I can see for the adjustable bcg is that if your gas block is difficult to access, then the bcg may be quicker/easier to adjust.  Personally, I'd go with the adjustable gas block and spend the extra scratch on parts or ammo.

this is what I thought also but wanted to make sure I wasn’t the only one lol

It really doesn't matter if you pinch the gas off at the gas block or farther downstream at the BCG.  There are a lot of designs for adjusting gas flow so its hard to draw many useful conclusions in general without talking about specific manufacturer designs.

If you intend to change the settings regularly because you want to sometimes use the can and sometimes not use it, then what's going to matter if the adjusting system gets seized up with carbon easily or not.   The dry and hot operating environment at the gas block is a recipe for carbon to build up.  The BCG may get some lubrication which might help the carbon from seizing things up quite so quickly.  

For many rifles (ones without short barrels or lightweight carrier/buffer systems), you're probably going to be able to find one gas setting which cycles the rifle unsuppressed and is definitely overgassed with the can, but not so much to cause malfunctions.  One of my rifles is setup that way because the adjustable gas block seizes up so quickly its just not worth messing with (w/in 150-200 rounds).    If you want to run a lightweight carrier/buffer, or your gas port is too close to you muzzle and your dwell time sucks, well then you probably don't have this luxury.

I use a rubber city adjustable gas key on another rifle, and its pretty cool and very affordable, and doesn't really get seized up.  Works on any BCG, but probably best left to sporting rifles due to it's specific design.  

Edited by Chrome308

• 2 weeks later...

No suppressors here in NY but I've had the Rubber City adjustable gas key and 2A adjustable BCG run without issues. But last few rifles have used Superlative Arms gas blocks because I like how you can access the adjustment from the front of the handguard and it feels like a well made product. With the Rubber City key you're taking apart a nicely staked gas key that shouldn't be a problem but it seems like a way to introduce a trouble spot. And the 2A BCG is expensive and again, you want to pray that adjustment holds. 

• 2 months later...

So I have a few cans and have both adjustable gas blocks and the gemtech bcg that you can pull the carter key out and switch it from suppressed and unsuppressed. They both try to achieve the same thing which is bleed off enough gas so your bcg isn't destroying itself being over gassed and also retains enough gas to function reliably. If you are goin to shoot suppressed most of the time then I would say get the adjustable gas block because if you go without the can your gonna have to adjust every time you switch can/no can to run most reliably. You also get more adjustment for a better tune with the gas block than with the BCG which is either "suppressed" or "unsuppressed".  If your gonna take the can on and off a lot the BCG is gonna be easier to switch the setting on (unless you have a rail that lets you access your gas block easily). If the cost isn't too much just run both. If your gonna use the cans on multiple rifles then its gonna be cheaper to get more gas blocks. I hope this helped some lol just what i can provide from my experience.

Edited by carolina_boy1990