Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking My Next Glock

kevin c

I just picked up a standard Glock Certificate. I think I know what I want to get, but thought I'd get some comments from the cognescenti (spelling?).

A little background. I already own 35 and a 23. I shoot mostly USPSA Limited class w/ a Para, with some Production tossed in with either a Para LDA but also with both Glocks. I shoot a little IDPA, but it's at most a fifth of my action shooting activity. The 35 and 23 do double duty there as well. I shoot one GSSF match a year, borrowing a friend's 26 to shoot subcompact, along with amateur civilian w/ the 23 (which suits me just fine) and competition class with the stock 35. I'm not interested in building a Glock Limited or open gun. I've decided that if I get a 45, it will be a singlestack single action. I shoot mostly 40 (as if you couldn't tell), but also have dies and components for 9mm. I unfortunately don't have a carry license, but that is what I got the 23 for, originally, and would probably still be my choice for that, if the day comes.

So.... 26? 27? Full sized in 9mm or 40?

Decisions, decisions... :D

You have your 40s already and you have a nice carry gun. The G17 is screaming at you: "Buy me for production, buy me". You could listen to her screams and think that you could save some money on ammo too.

Good luck with your decision. We are just about ready to finally pass a CCW law and since I shoot a G34 now am considering the G23 for carry. A kahr looks nice but like the Glock platform and see no reason to change. The 27 is just not the grip that I am looking for.

G17

I just bought one yesterday ( first Glock ) ,

and then you gotta get some 33 round G18 mags from Midway.

24.95 Ea. ( on sale through Nov. 30 2005 )

Item 116-453

Even though these mags are probably not legal for any kind of competition, you gotta have at least 3 if you have a 9 Glock ( they also fit G34,26,19 )

1 in the tube and 3 mags for 100 rounds..............

Travis F.

G17. You've got the .40 group pretty well covered already.

You said you're set up to load for the 9mm, but you don't have to. Several sources have super-soft 147 gn loads available that are a real pleasure to shoot.

Of course, if you do get another .40, you're already set up with magazines and won't have to buy any. But what fun is that!?

Hmmm. I was actually thinking of the 27. I have this O-C thing about completing sets... :P .

And I could shoot it in the glock match (once a year, like a lot of GSSFer's I see who bring a suitcase full of Glocks to the match - one per category). I should mention that I have a nice powder puff minor load in forty, letting me use those big fat .400 slugs at virtually no recoil for a huge competitive advantage in production/idpa/gssf (gamer, gamer :D ).

Of course, if you do get another .40, you're already set up with magazines and won't have to buy any. But what fun is that!?

You're exactly right, of course, dv8. ;)

That'd be a no, Travis. ;)

Ya beat me to it, Cullen B)

Hmm. Lots of votes for the 17. I will seriously consider it, gents, and thanks!

Kevin

Grab a 17 and a 19 for it's companion in the safe. Nobody should be without a 9mm, or two. I haven't mixed the mags up between the 9mm and .40 but I would HATE to goto a match to find out I packed the wrong mags per caliber weapon being used. I have a 34 and 35, if Glock comes out with a practical/tactical .45 i'll probly grab one of those as well...

If you have OC- you would have to get the 22, 27, and a 24 to complete the collection. Then you will have to consider the green framed versions...

Lessee:

A new G17 or G26/27 with two mags (tenners - no choice here <_< ) here in CA would run me 500 to 550 bucks, including taxes. I'll wait for two weeks on the purchase and use up my "gun of the month". I understand that the mag disconnect law starting up here in 2006 wont affect the glocks already approved for sale in this state, but who knows when the antigunners will try to make it retroactive.

The same $550 will get me a brand new G17 upper from Glockmeister, all the "low caps" I might need and change left over. Not being a "gun" I can get it anytime I want and will wait only as long as Fed Ex can get it to me, and no worries about the disconnect law. Put the upper on my G35 receiver and change out the ejector - voila - instant G17, no?

Perhaps I will get one of the black dwarfs. Getting a 26 or 27 with the cert gets me a gun I don't have now, before any silly laws get in the way, and buying the upper makes the 17 available at less than full purchase price.

Yeah, I'd prefer to have both, but there are other guns I'd like to buy, and a kid to put through college to boot.

There's a hole in this logic somewheres. Let 'er rip, folks. :P

Edited by kevin c

I'd go with the G27. It gives you a Glock frame you don't have yet. If you want a 9mm you can always turn the .40's into one with a new top end.

You can shoot the ammo you have/make through the G27 and you obviously really want it. That last reason is the most important. Just buy what you want most :)

I just bought one yesterday ( first Glock ) ,

and then you gotta get some 33 round G18 mags from Midway.

Location Richmond, California

That'd be a no, Travis. ;)

Sorry about that , my bad.

I would never suggest that you violate the laws of a foriegn sovereign nation.

Those of us who live in the USA sometimes forget how good we have it.

Travis F.

I would never suggest that you violate the laws of a foriegn sovereign nation.

Those of us who live in the USA sometimes forget how good we have it.

Travis F.

Too true, to my regret... :(

A 27 is probably what I'll get, but a nine, in some form or another will be the next product I'll get from Herr Glock. As you all say, gotta have the classic. :P

Thanks for the advice, folks. I will follow it (eventually ;) ).

Kevin C.

Well Any Glock will do. I have 2 G34's and just sold my 17. I likes the 17 but I wanted a second 34 in case I ever have a problem with my first one in Competition.

Also have a G22 with some mods done to it.

Kevin see you at Richmond for the IDPA match in Nov.

:)

I personally prefer the 17 to the 34. I think every gun nut should have a glock 17, it is a historic gun and at this point it is classic. no other weapon has taken the market with such a presence so quickly.

You seem like you want a 27 so go with that but have you shot one first? i don't particularly like the added recoil of a 40 in that size of a gun

a G17 is the perfect GSSF stock division gun. and you can pick up ammo anywhere for it.

Im not ashamed to admit I bought 2 G24's. ...

Well I just paid for 2 G17, and not ashamed of it either. I wish I could say the second one is just for collection, but I don't think my girlfriend would agree.

Go G17! :D