Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legion X5 Slide Movement

WaltK

I was dry firing my X5 Legion last night when I noticed that when the gun was cocked and in battery

the slide could be moved back a 1/4" or so easily. When the gun was fired (dry) the slide was firm. 

I don't know if this has always been the case and I just noticed it last night. I tried different recoil spring 

weights, 11, 12.5 and 14 with the same results. I have installed a Armor Craft adjustable trigger with minimal 

pre travel and over travel. I have read that the Legion does not lock up as firmly as the standard X5. 

Is this normal?

Gentlemen

Thank you very much! To tell you the truth I was really beginning to be concerned about this. 

I hated the idea of sending it back to Sig because of the mods I had installed. 

Because of that I had considered sending it to The Sig Armorer but I really didn't want to do that either.. 

On striker fired guns, when a gun is cocked, the striker spring is engaged with the lower via the sear and pushes the slide backwards while the recoil spring is fighting back. So, for instance, when we reduce the recoil spring rate, this balance of spring force changes and the slide may not go back into battery easily. This is my understanding and I could be wrong.

Same thing on all the P320s I've owned, some move more than others. Dry firing with an empty mag normally gets rid of the movement.

One 320 I had was really loose, the only way I could get rid of it was to use the older mags that are near impossible to load the 17th round in without a mag loader. 

I'm guessing b/c the P320 doesn't have a rear cross pin for the sear housing like most other striker fire pistols it somehow moves up when dry firing. The mag follower I think tensions everything so there's no movement.