Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the going rate for .40 brass?

muncie21

As I look at my component inventory going into next season, I'm wondering if I should pickup more .40 brass.  For me it really doesn't matter if it's range-pickups or once-fired, as long as it wasn't picked up in a swamp and can be cleaned and reloaded :)

With this in mind, what's the going rate for non-process, .40 brass in your area or online?

I'd stay away from brass from police ranges.  Most of it has crimped primers.  I paid 4 cents each for Win headstamp 40sw brass and 60+% of it was crimped.  At 3.5 to 4 cents each for range pickup, it makes more sense to me to buy fully processed brass.  I've been buying fully processed (resized, deprimed, swaged, roll sized, and cleaned), same HS 9mm brass for 5 cents each from Kenny's Brass LLC.  He also sells 40 and a bunch of other calibers.

Kenny’s Brass (812) 457-2690

Kenneth Marx <kennethallanmarx@yahoo.com>

Chuck @ https://www.smithwerder.com/ is my GO-TO brass guy!  

I've been buying all of my brass off of Chuck for over 3 years and he consistently impresses me with how clean it is.  

Yes, much of it is from LEO ranges, but I worked with him when I found out that there were some crimped primer pockets in one of my 40 orders and he quickly identified the range that the crimped 40s came from and he doesn't sell that brass anymore.

If it's not on his new website, send him a message (let him know that Rich sent you ;) ) to see if he has it but hasn't had chance to list it yet.  He often does custom listings if it's not an item currently listed.

Not only does Chuck ship fast, he's also a hell of a guy to just chat with about shooting, brass, case prep, etc!

7 hours ago, zzt said:

I'd stay away from brass from police ranges.  Most of it has crimped primers.  I paid 4 cents each for Win headstamp 40sw brass and 60+% of it was crimped.  At 3.5 to 4 cents each for range pickup, it makes more sense to me to buy fully processed brass.  I've been buying fully processed (resized, deprimed, swaged, roll sized, and cleaned), same HS 9mm brass for 5 cents each from Kenny's Brass LLC.  He also sells 40 and a bunch of other calibers.

Kenny’s Brass (812) 457-2690

Kenneth Marx <kennethallanmarx@yahoo.com>

Most all that I’ve gotten has been Starline, WW and Fed. There’s a few PPU and others but mostly made up of the above. The first orders I got they were also only 2.5 cents apiece. 

Edited by Farmer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, S&W686 said:

Precision Delta is selling 2500 pieces of .40 S&W for $100.00 at this time.  It is in stock right now.

$0.04 per piece still is a good price, but PD was selling it cheaper this summer/fall.  PD ships pretty quick and the brass looked to be indoor pickups.  I.e. no dirt, mud, etc.

• 2 months later...

I've been to the range a lot more than usual lately and surprisingly there's been a lot of .40 shooters there. I unashamedly ask if they do not reload if I can take the brass and I've come away with a LOT of brass. Food for thought.