Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics and EDC

Stafford

Just now, sax422 said:

any concerns with the time turning on (and or adjusting) the dots or am i behind the tech curve and that's no longer needed?  

Mine (Holosun) is operated on a “shake awake” system. Goes to sleep when it’s not moving to save battery life, but once moved the dot comes on. Not sure about other models as I’m new to dots.

46 minutes ago, sax422 said:

any concerns with the time turning on (and or adjusting) the dots or am i behind the tech curve and that's no longer needed?  

Mine (Holosun) is operated on a “shake awake” system. Goes to sleep when it’s not moving to save battery life, but once moved the dot comes on. Not sure about other models as I’m new to dots.

42 minutes ago, sax422 said:

You're behind the curve.

Modern, high quality RDS can be left on constantly with a battery replacement needed only every year or so.

The Trijicon RMR on my carry gun is left on constantly in auto-dimming mode.  The dot dims in dark environments like when in the car's center console, or in my nighstand drawer, or when holstered and concealed.  It brightens instantly as the sensor on it detects more ambient light.  I plan on changing the battery once a year.

The Trijicon SRO in my CO match gun is turned on only when need it then turned off when I don't.  Meaning I turn it on at the beginning of a dry or live fire training session then turn it off when I'm done.  Likewise on match day I turn it on when I first put the gun in the holster in the safe area and leave it on all day until I bag the gun to go home.  I adjust dot brightness maybe once a match.  But once the dot is where I like it I don't touch the sight again unless the sky has a major change in illumination.

Some sights, like many made by Holosun, have solar panels on top of the hood.  The electricity generated by the solar panel runs the sight, with the battery supplementing it when the voltage out of the solar cell is too low.

What you don't need to be doing with quality sights (Trijicon, Leupold, Holosun) is constantly fiddling with the on/off switch like I see some open shooters with crap dots doing.

23 hours ago, sax422 said:

For edc? I would think that best recommendation for edc would be to keep the dot on at all times, have a good supply of batteries, swap the batteries on some sort of schedule based on how long the dot is expected to last (usually found in the user guide...probably a good idea to replace it well before that time estimate).

On 10/14/2020 at 5:43 PM, sax422 said:

I apologize for all the redundant responses.  The forum was acting up that night.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

At 59, sights are getting harder to see.  I shoot carry optics in USPSA, Open in 3gun, have a red dot on my EDC.  Just wish the powers that be would let me put a dot on my work pistol.