Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230-240 grain bullets for 38 Spcl?

mchapman

Do any of you guys have much experiance loading a 240 grain bullet in a 38 special cartridge? What powder and load have you used. A friend has used Blue Dot and 5 grains, and then some 2400 about the same charge. I am looking to make up some pin loads with about 200 to 220 power factor. Any other suggestions? 

If you want a lot of flame go with Blue Dot, it's impressive.  2400 will give you great velocity but don't forget Unique.  Unique has been the most accurate powder I've loaded with in .38 Special with heavy bullets.  

PM Carmoney on this Forum.  He was a Pin/2nd Chance Master Blaster and used 357 magnums with, I think, 200 grain bullets for Pins.

Why 38 Specials instead of 357 magnum?  Are you using a 38 Special Revolver, if so I'd not think it wise to push a 200 factor?

I used 230 gr. Cast with blue dot powder. At about 5.0 gr. Only problem I found they have to be loaded long and won’t fit all guns.

Mike Carmoney is where I got info.

20 minutes ago, EEH said:

I used 230 gr. Cast with blue dot powder. At about 5.0 gr. Only problem I found they have to be loaded long.

Mike Carmoney is where I got info.

and this them.

3B8A7775-41E0-4ED0-B56C-8B56C9B08DA3.jpeg

Edited by EEH

I got info from Mike on this too. I don’t want to share it because I haven’t personally tested it. 

Mark I think if you start with the Blue Dot load mentioned above, and load long, like 1.550 or longer, you can get some good data. 

Penn bullets sells these here is his page with some history, thoughts and data.  Click on the thunder head bullets

Dp check your ruleset first though. seems every venue has different rules. In my league, revolver is its own division  tables at 30 feet. Pins 1 foot from REAR of table. First time I shot I was loaded for pins at front of the table loaded heavy and recoil was a bit severe. For rear of table, you really only need a wide flat nose at  I am running flat 180's at 740 fps with WST.

In open division its 5 pins on front of table. I thought about trying these. For some reason I am doing better with an open sight revolver than I am my slide mounted optic 1911. 

https://www.pennbullets.com/38/38-caliber.html

Edited by Joe4d

17 hours ago, AzShooter said:

If you want a lot of flame go with Blue Dot, it's impressive.  2400 will give you great velocity but don't forget Unique.  Unique has been the most accurate powder I've loaded with in .38 Special with heavy bullets.  

None of my load manuals list anything for a 240 grain or even a 200 grain and nothing I can see online for hodgen or alliant. What are some of the starting loads that you are familiar with those powders?

6 hours ago, pskys2 said:

PM Carmoney on this Forum.  He was a Pin/2nd Chance Master Blaster and used 357 magnums with, I think, 200 grain bullets for Pins.

Why 38 Specials instead of 357 magnum?  Are you using a 38 Special Revolver, if so I'd not think it wise to push a 200 factor?

I am using a 627 with a 6 1/2 inch barrel. The reason for 38 is because the length of the 240 grain bullet, it will have to extend quite a bit from the brass. The loaded OAL of these side by side with 357 is the same length.

4 hours ago, MWP said:

I got info from Mike on this too. I don’t want to share it because I haven’t personally tested it. 

Mark I think if you start with the Blue Dot load mentioned above, and load long, like 1.550 or longer, you can get some good data. 

Right now I do not have any Blue Dot, so I was looking to try to come up with a load with some other powders that I may have. BE-86, Power Pistol, HP-38/231, Bullseye, Longshot, HS-6, 2400, Auto-Comp.

On 10/9/2020 at 5:01 PM, mchapman said:

I am using a 627 with a 6 1/2 inch barrel. The reason for 38 is because the length of the 240 grain bullet, it will have to extend quite a bit from the brass. The loaded OAL of these side by side with 357 is the same length.

I'd not considered that and it does make sense.  

I'm learning more every day!