Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady HAP 125 grain, .354

IVC

Found these in stock at Midway and ordered a sample just because... And, because everything is out of stock. 

So, they arrived today, beautiful, shiny, and consistently exactly 0.354 diameter. I was going to try them for my JP PCC, maybe try them in 38SC, or even vanilla 9mm (JP compensator doesn’t like coated and .356 lead had abysmal accuracy.)

I couldn’t find these on Hornady’s website and I’ve never used .354. What are they good for?

Hornady does not list a .354 HAP. In addition HAPs don't have a crimp band. I would make a call . But best guess these are a special order that was refused or over run(blem)

Crimp band and Hornady not listing it are the two reasons I wanted to get some input...

Midway is a reputable company, so I'm pretty sure these were made by Hornady. The question is if there are any known issues with .354, or I just load a few and test accuracy (and velocity) in various guns. Worst case scenario is that I'll use them all up for plinking, but it would be great if I could make them run well in my PCC or my Open gun since these are jacketed and won't foul the compensator (like the Blue Bullets did; it was a real pain to clean the baffles). When the supply normalizes, I'll use .355-s...

I would guess they are blems. RMR was selling some .224s that were blems that I believe were hornady as well. I bought some since I needed bullets but they had a slightly hollow base vs the normal 55 gr.

Edited by Intheshaw1
autocorrect.....

2x on the blems. Years ago I bought some Winchester 230g FMJ and JHP 45’s really cheap from Midway. Came in a Winchester case sealed up and looked good until I measured them. The FMJ averaged .451 but the JHP’s were .450-.4505. Didn’t shoot worth a darn out of my old Ruger but fortunately in my XD They work fine. I also found an article that says Colt once used .354 bore on their 38 & 357 revolvers. 

Edited by Farmer

• 2 weeks later...

I got a bunch of these as well. To bad they are probily a one time deal. Loaded with 5.1 gr autocomp seated to canalure (9mm). Shot them into a one hole dime size group at 15 yards in glock 34. 1175 fps. Rested with a sandbag and RMR. About as good as I can shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same questions and botched up trying to start a thread about it, anyway I contacted Hornady and received the following response:

Hornady Support commented at: 10-28-2020 01:11

Mr. Urquhart, thank you for contacting us. This bullet is suitable for use in the 9mm, while we cannot disclose specifics regarding how it came about, load development can begin by using starting charges listed for the 9mm and our 124gr bullets. Thanks

j
commented at: 10-23-2020 11:04

Hello,
I recently purchased a large amount of .354 HAP bullets with cannelure (125 grain) thinking I was purchasing the .356 HAP bullet for reloading 9mm. My primary question is whether the .354 HAP suitable for 9mm? Also, what caliber was it designed for being that it is .001 smaller than the typical .355 and it having a cannelure? I didn't see this bullet in the Hornady Reloading App so if you can provide load data, either specific to this bullet or confirm that load data for another bullet that would translate to this bullet, I would also appreciate it. Thank you.