Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo Stock 2 Xtreme vs. Stock 3 Xtreme

Rocketman11

Folks I am absolutely new to forums but I definitely needed some information and this is the place I think I can get it.  Ok so can someone tell me why the Tanfo Stock 2 X is more money than the Stock 3 X? Also if the Tanfo users had to make a choice on which handgun to use for USPSA Production which would you choose and why? I’m ready to purchase one of these outstanding handguns I’m just really unsure of which model to get.  Need some advice. Thank you.

Xtreme is waste of money. You can get cheaper and better trigger with regular tanfo guns after polishing and parts. The tanfo bible thread is a must read. S2 is more expensive because of popularity, hard chrome, and cone barrel. Only you can really decide which is best.....do you like nose heavy gun, lighter gun, cone barrel, longer radius, etc

9 minutes ago, Polymer said:

Xtreme is waste of money. You can get cheaper and better trigger with regular tanfo guns after polishing and parts. The tanfo bible thread is a must read. S2 is more expensive because of popularity, hard chrome, and cone barrel. Only you can really decide which is best.....do you like nose heavy gun, lighter gun, cone barrel, longer radius, etc

Polymer thank you for your reply.  I will find and read the Tanfo bible thread.  

IMHO, the Stock 3 is better than the Stock 2 for most people. The heavier frame with the rail of the Stock 3 offsets the little difference in recoil the Stock 2 bull barrel makes - considering that it is also somewhat shorter and lighter. But the Stock 3 has longer sight radius, which is also a plus. That said, the hard chrome is perhaps the toughest finish on the market and it will hold up great and shine like new for a long time, it needs to be abused a lot to show wear. 

I have a unicorn, the Stock 2 AU with a 5" bull barrel, so it does not lose any velocity or sight radius compared to the Stock 3.  

The Stock Master is the best of both worlds. But is it approved for Production?

I would not go poly with Tanfoglio, nor any competition gun. The weight of a steel frame really soaks up the recoil and makes the gun a joy to shoot.

Edited by mrd

If I were buying a Tanfo right now, it’d be an IFG Stock Master through either Ben Stoger’s pro shop, or patriot defense.

The Xtreme models neve made sense for an American purchase. They were designed to work within the older IPSC rulebook that forbid such basic tuning as non-OEM spring replacement.

You could always build a better gun than an Xtreme model for much cheaper under the USPSA rulebook.

Especially with shops like Patriot Defense making a plethora of tuning parts, and USPSA has allowed virtually any modification? Don’t buy an Xtreme.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Though nowhere checked in Europe it's still not allowed to polish etc. so then extreme makes some sense. Otherwise... regular and do the upgrades. Or you must like the design color scheme of the Xtreme models (which I did) and improve from there. I owned both, both great! I preferred the Stock 2 due to weight balance but all is a matter of training / shooting. Success!

like others have said, its largely personal preference.  stock 3 is most in size like a shadow 2.  stock 2 is slightly shorter, and there are some slight grip/ ergo differences.  weight.  I agree, Xtreme is a bit marketey.  Yes its better out of the box, but most people who buy tanfos tune up em up or have a 3rd party like Patriot or Henning tune up em with aftermarket parts - ultimately being BETTER than a stock Xtreme model.  

IMO- id do with a stock 2 and pump it full of Henning or patriot parts.  titan hammer, bolo, springs, fancy grips, silly personal things like single sided safety whatever you want. I also really admire the stock 2 for the come bull barrel, I think that's really cool, and locks up tight as hell.  and partly cause im a CZ guy and one of my biggest gripes is the front sight pin and bushing.  none of that is required with Stock2's design, and I like the simplicity and engineering.  

and cause Chrome.  seriously, I think chrome is why 80% off people shoot tanfos LOL

17 hours ago, IF788 said:

like others have said, its largely personal preference.  stock 3 is most in size like a shadow 2.  stock 2 is slightly shorter, and there are some slight grip/ ergo differences.  weight.  

The grip is the same between the Stock 2 and Stock 3 - as long as the grip panel and frame size is the same.

Tanfoglios come in Large Frame and Small Frame, those differ slightly in grip/ergos/size, Small Frame grip panel don't fit Large Frame tanfos and vice versa. I understand the Small Frame is quite rare in the US, though.