Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do Lots Of People Use Mobil 1 As A Lube For Ar?

tpe187

Hi guys,

I'm a recent convert to using Mobil 1 in my M1100 CM and have since read that it should be liberally used in the AR as well. Do most people do this. It seems a little thicker than I would normally use, but if it works, hey I'll try it. Any down side to using it? When using it, how long do you go before you need to clean. Thanks

Tom

Edited by tpe187

I doubt its too heavy, I've been using Slide Glide on the 1100 and AR over the past 2 years and its like grease.

I put it on the action bars, and top of bolt on the 1100, none on the mag tube or pistons, that I always run tmen dry.

On the AR it goes on the bolt rails and the edges of the bot pin where it rides in the upper, the top and sides of the charge handle (makes it move without that scraping sound) and a bit on the recoil spring and buffer where it rides in the tube.

I only clean them before matches so about every 200-300 rounds, that's about all I shoot them at a match and in between

Any high temp motor oil with detergent properties is fine on AR's but do use a heavier grease on the buffer and recoil spring. I have been using Castrol GTX instead of Mobil 1 because I keep it around for my truck.

TMC nailed most of the areas you want to lube in the AR. Add a tiny bit on the locking lugs of the bolt. The back edges are where it's needed most (they engage and do the lockup).

I add the gas system in my 11-87 as a place for lotsa' oil and regularly go 400-500+ on the shotgun without cleaning it. Even then, I just wipe the old oil off and put on new. It's always clean as a whistle with no carbon buildup after just wiping. Remington specifies soaking the trigger group in Remoil, I use the motor oil instead and I really do soak this too. The entire trigger group get's brakleen'd and re-oiled every 800-1000 rounds.

Thanks for the replies. I certainly have enough Mobil 1 on hand, so I will try it out. I must admit that from my military background I have never heard of using grease on the buffer and spring. What type of grease are you using. The only kind I have right now is the Shooters choice grease. Thanks again

Tom

The grease I use on the buffer is a heavy duty lithium grease I get from an auto parts place. It slicks up the action a tad and reduces the sproing when you lube the buffer and spring. Enough to coat the buffer and spring, but not enough to get hydraulic back there.

--

Regards,

My guns, all of them get Mobil 1 its still there when you clean even if its been a while and 500 rounds. SX-2 is a lot easier to clean as George alluded to so is the AR. I'd add that the bolt needs liberal amounts applied to rings and the carrier gas key so when fired the first time after cleaning it atomizes the oil through the system. Be sure to foul the gun BEFORE the match as it will bleed a little excess lube. As far as the buffer tube lube I use Silicone spray, runs quite less mess. I know I got oil dripping off the rest of the gun why should I care about a little grease.

No Butch, stand pat with that. I run Castrol GTX 20--50 and it works just fine. Mobil One as the brand is not so important as it being a high quality, high temp, synthetic detergent type oil of at least 10/40, or preferably 20/50 weight.

Add some STP if ya' wanna' feel racier ;-)

Great, now I have to go out and get Mobil 1 20w50! Just another great excuse to go to the parts store! Ha ha, don't tell the wife. Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone had any problems with smoking during sustained fire ie, 60 rds in about 3 minutes. I was playing around seeing how fast I could hit some swinging steel at 200yds, which was fairly easy with the JP CTR02 and JP ACOG and it was burning my eyes after a minute or two. Maybe I used too much. Is there such a thing? Not the way some of you talk about lubbing your AR's!! Kidding. Thanks again for the help

Tom