Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't Decide On A New Glock

Jager1147

I'm going to get a glock, but can't decide which model would serve me best. I already have a G34, but want to compete in amatuer civilian division so thinking either the G17 or the G22. I would like the G22 so I can shoot major in limited for IPSC, but thought the G17 would be best for GSSF. which has more recoil? Any opinions would be appreciated.

G22 with factory ammo has far more recoil.

Simple really...if you reload, then the 40 is an option. If you don't, then buy 9mm is far easier...both on the wallet and on recoil.

And, if you plan to shoot Production Division, then there is no Major power factor to factor in. In production, everything is scored Minor power factor.

Thanks Flex!

I do reload, but do you think I can load the .40 to feel as soft as a 9mm and still function in a glock? I've heard that it can be done in SV type guns. I'd want the best caliber to compete in GSSF amatuer civilian class.

Thanks, Jager

Thanks Flex!

I do reload, but do you think I can load the .40 to feel as soft as a 9mm and still function in a glock? I've heard that it can be done in SV type guns. I'd  want the best caliber to compete in GSSF amatuer civilian class.

Thanks, Jager

Ab-so-lutely!

I think my Minor 40 load might be more accurate than my 40 Major load. And, it certainly is soft shooting.

Runs great in a stock Glock.

Buy both, I did!  :D  I found a dealer selling factory rebuilds for cheap and got one of each.  G17 for production and steel, G22 for limited.

Local place or ??

I have a 35, want to do the same thing: get a 17 and a 22 as well.

The 35 shoots great, and I reload to minor for my wife, she was shooting a 9mm, she can't tell the difference.

I'm going to get a glock, but can't decide which model would serve me best. I already have a G34, but want  to compete in amatuer civilian division so thinking either the G17 or the G22. I would like the G22 so I can shoot major in limited for IPSC, but thought the G17 would be best for GSSF. which has more recoil? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Here's the conclusion I've come to; at the last GSSF match I shot a G17 in amature, a G26 in subcompact and a G17L in master unlimited. Overall I did better with my G26 so I'm going to shoot the 26 in both amature and subcompact next time. Just remember when you shoot the 26 use 17 size mags.

Good luck

I had someone ask me a similiar question today. He asked if he should get a g34 or g35 for uspsa competition. well I told him to go with the g35. Reasoning. Well you can shoot the gun limited, limited 10 and production all with one gun. As far as the 17 vs 22. if you want to make major in IPSC, well you have to have a .40 cal minimum. so I would say the 22 would be the best. Now I am not familiar with the rules in GSSF. But if you can I would choose the g35, but if you cant then the g22 would be 2nd choice( I believe the g34 and g35 are the cadilacs of all the glocks). Like flex said you can load a .40 cal to shoot some real light recoiling loads. As far as kick comparision 9mm vs .40. there is no doubt that if you use factory in both calibers the .40 is going to kick more.

Thanks all! I reload so I won't be using factory. If I can have a .40 load that recoils LESS than my 9mm steel loads, then .40 it is. Now the question is G22 or G35? I can't shoot the G35 in GSSF Amatuer class, but I would get the G35 IF it's possible to get a G17 upper and slap it on my G34. Is this something that's ever been done?

you can, you can buy all the full size uppers for the lower that you have. go to glockmeister.com. the problem is the cost. you mine as well buy the gun for the cost of the upper. if you go that route, you will have to change out the ejector on the 9mm to the .40 cal one. Personally for uspsa I would use the g35, that glock seems to be the one primarily used in uspsa, and possibly look for a clean g22 at a pawn shop(they are pretty common)or buy it new. I've looked its hard to find a g34/35 at pawn shops, almost non-existant. I had to buy mine new. But if you are buying new, would reccomend gun shows. there can be some good deals there. I bought my g34 new for like $500 with fixed sights, which were comming off the minute I got home. So when you buy if fixed sights are not in your future, and plan on getting adjustables buy the fixed, so you dont have to spend the extra money on the plastic adjustables that you wont use. just my .02. Good luck

The G35 it is. My primary shooting sport is IPSC, so it only makes sense after hearing everyone's input that tthe .40 is the most versatile since I can load down for minor to shoot steel or shoot limited major. I love the way my G34 handles, so I think I'm set on the G35. Anyone like the G24 over the G35?