Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK, I was too tired last night to even turn on the machine. It's tough being old (and not competing for almost 2 years)... I'm done whining -

Open class, it looks VERY unofficial (meaning there's not much doubt) that the speedster from the army, Max Micheal (sp) pretty much trashed everybody. He shot rock-solid crazy. I hear TT is doing well too...

Limited - It' tough to say. If I had to guess, I'd say probably Tarran Buter at this point, with two small stages left to go tomorrow. Robbie is trashing us all (shooting in limited 10), of course, shooting his 6 inch blaster with incredible consistency and speed.

The match is pretty much a crank-fest....

I'll post again tomorrow; other than that I probably won't be back on the board till tuesday.

be

You know what they say in Vegas - "I was up." I trashed the last two stages today, probably to the tune of  50 - 60 match points. Oh well, I got what I put into it... Big Joe Boone smashed the limited title - he shot a truly excellent match, the best I've ever seen him shoot by far. Tarran was second, Mark Hannish third, I was 4th GM after that, but was 7th overall, I think. (It was really difficult to decipher the print out I saw.) Our own Rifle Master even beat me by 3 points, that bastard. I guess he'll should be a rifle/pistol master... and he's only shooting Master class..? I'm not sure where Phil came in - he had a couple rough stages. He's on the way over for some beers and a feed though, so i'll update on that later. Erik, I didn't even see him. I was expecting him to find me - I don't know what he looks like - but he never came around... So it looks like the BEginner practice session will be Phil and I, and his fellow Kiwi, Quentin. We all had a bit too many beers last night at Casey's - I was hating the chronoman when I had to get up to chrono at 8:30 - especially since he wouldn't let us chrono yesterday afternoon when they were just sitting there with nothing to do. What's up with that? We're all in this together, right? And it was definitely Max, with TT second. And TT was heavily encouraged to - come back! And who started the BEginner's thread anyway, wasn't it Chris?...

I'm off for some Four Peaks!

be

Flex,

He's one of the "new breed" the sport is breeding. He's a young fella, super nice and polite, and smoking hot before the army got a hold of him. Now that he shoots for a living, he's going to be unstoppable in the near future. He's got the drive, incredible eye-hand coordination, and unlimited resources... you'll be seeing (or hearing) more from him.

be

I had the oportunity to watch Max at the GA state match. The guy is a machine. Chris Tilly beat him though. Chris is so fast he almost looks spastic (I mean that in the nicest way).

We set up 2 plate racks after the match for a little fun while waiting for the match results. Max did not play but Chris did. That kid can throw a mag at his gun from 6" away and it goes right in! I think he is going to be the man to beat in the future. Super nice young man too.

That was probably my worst match ever. I only had one stage finish in the top ten. I was dropped to Minor by a totally bogus chrono. I missed most of the swingers. I had three misses on my first stage. I had trouble calling my shots. I ran by two targets in the APC-helicopter stage. I almost broke the 180 on three different stages.

WTF was up with the stages? I don't think there was one target past 15 yards. There were two hardcovered targets at 15 yards and they were the most difficult static shots of the match. There were a bunch of wide-open hosers at 3 yards or less. The surprise stage gave some people a two-second advantage.

Brian must have hated this match. Detlef would have hated it but I don't think he was there.

Where were all the BE.com people? I had glances of Kelly and Brian but didn't get to talk to them. That's a shame when you consider all my down time: I spent a good seven hours total waiting to shoot stages 1&2 then 3&4. (After waiting three hours Friday to shoot 1&2, they halted shooting for the day while I was on deck.)

Erik, I concur w/ your assessments of the match.  While I love a good run and gun stage (particularly since I tend to be pretty good at them), I would have prefered a more balanced match.  A big match like the Classic should be a test of a wide variety of shooting skills: speed and movement certainly but accuracy and distance should not have been so excluded.  I never saw you!  

TT,

See what I was a tellin ya? You're missed around here.

Yes, I didn't think too much of the course design. One excellent stage (stage 3), a couple good ones, 4 exactly the same (30 + round, 5 yd, open target crankfests). I was talking to a friend last night about "current" course design. He suggested maybe starting a thread(s) regarding just exactly what makes a "good" course and what makes a "bad" course. And then, from that, we could have start threads with actual good courses - maybe to end up as a database for a match to draw from. Sounds good to me. Another interesting thing I heard - A friend asked why I liked stage 3. He also liked it but couldn't explain or didn't know why he liked it. He said he also felt this way about other stages he's shot over the years... I told him I liked it for several reasons. 1) It was a shooting test (close range partials). 2) It had a couple ways to shoot it, and you could choose your own way depending on your skill level and how much risk you were willing to take. You could shoot it "safe," or take the head box on the way in for a little more risk, and potential benefit. 3) It was "technical," meaning body position and set-up were critical for a good run. In other words, you didn't just run to a port and crank 8 shots at wide open targets at 3 - 7 yds, and then repeat 4 times. 4) It was 8 rds.

OK, I think I'm going to start a new forum and post this there, to, 1) avoid a massive thread drift, and 2) get this stage forum going...

be

Breifly, I'm home and exhausted, but had a great time, thanks Brian, Rio Salado, USPSA and Four Peaks Brewery for a very enjoyable match and some great company, I learnt heaps!!

Great to have met the guys I did and look forward to next time and hopefully more of the forum members. Glad to see you're back TT I knew you were missed, and congrats on the results guys.

I'm off to bed!!!

P.D.

Phil,

I'm glad to hear you had a good time in AZ. I'm not surprised :-)

Wish I could have been there, but I guess we will meet in South Africa, right?

Travis, unless I see you somewhere in the US before WSXIII, I guess we will meet in South Africa as well.

Even

• 2 weeks later...