Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor .40 data for 200 gr coated

superlifer03

• 1 month later...

A guy named Jeff Maass did a bunch of research and amassed this list of loads. http://www.k8nd.com/documents/hl40sw.pdf

Good starting point for a wide variety of weights and powders in .40.

I’ve not used VV320 with 200 grain bullets in minor, but I’ve used Tightgroup for that purpose.  I started at 3.0 grains and worked with that powder until I found what I was looking for in recoil and accuracy.  Pay attention and measure everything.

• 3 months later...
14 minutes ago, Novagunner said:

I run 3.1gr n320 under a 200 gr blue @1.135 for a 140 pf out of a Glock 35. still ridiculously soft. 

curious why so far over minor pf?  or is the bullet just hitting the ground at 10 feet at 125pf?  just starting reloading so prob a dumb question...

I ran 200gr minor for about 2yrs.  One problem I encountered was my bullets would keyhole in the targets anything pass 15yds when loading to a PF of 127-130 

I never tried messing with different powders.  I don't get keyholing when using lighter bullets. 

Edited by Silver_Surfer

1 hour ago, davsco said:

curious why so far over minor pf?  or is the bullet just hitting the ground at 10 feet at 125pf?  just starting reloading so prob a dumb question...

speed up the slide a little and help with ejection. The brass barely dribbles out with a 13lb spring but a bit better with 11 lb spring. Even at 140, the recoil is minimal and a slow push vs snap.

Edited by Novagunner

I ran 180's with 2.8 or 2.9 of Titegroup depending on the barrel to get around 130pf.  That was about as slow as I'd go, and yes, long range accuracy suffered.  That probably translates into 3.0 - 3.2 of N320 for the same PF.  The starting load officially listed by VV is 3.5.

So on a strictly PF basis, 2.8 or 2.9 of N320 should put you in low minor range.

Of note, VV's reloading data page for 40S&W 200g bullets does not include a load for N320.