Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carpal tunnel procedure

2-4 weeks to use hand for normal activity.    8-16 weeks for full recovery

get a small ball or a light hand exercise   thing (grip enhancer) use it as much as you can.

Have had both hands done . second one went better than first.I rushed the first one which 

caused issues .dont rush to go back to shooting.

Edited by AHI

This is going to sound a bit strange, but I have recently been introduced to a Chiropractor that believes many ailments come from our damage to our nervous system due to poor spine health.  Trust me I get it, they are trying to sell you their services.  I was super skeptical to begin with as well and did some of my own research before agreeing to the therapy.  In passing heard him discuss that Carpal tunnel can be caused from damage to the spine.  I am currently in their 90 day program and only two weeks in I am seeing results.  Over the last 3-4 months I started to notice my fingers, hands and wrists were going numb as I slept.  Unannounced to me before I started the spine therapy I did not know that this was an indication of possible spine mis-alignment and/or disk health issues.  I did not mention this or list it as an issue on my documents to the chiropractor as a health issue.  After only two weeks of this program, the numbness in my fingers hands and lower arms has completely gone away.  My forearm issues have also dissipated over these two weeks.  I'm not saying that spine therapy will cure your issues or help you recover sooner, but it might be something to look into to prevent future carpal tunnel issues.  The program is not cheap, but after having friends, having a myriad of health issues including fusing disks in their neck, I have decided in the long run this might be as expensive as I perceive it to be today.  Something to note if they are not using x-rays, to help you understand what is going on with your spine and using those x-rays to help prove proper alignment is being regained in your spine, I would probably go with a Chiropractor that is using x-rays.  As always vet any doctor before using their services.  Maybe something to check out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Moved from the I Hate Forum. Members can benefit from continued posting about carpal tunnel problems and solutions. This seems to be a problem that affects competitive shooters. 

Had my left hand done in January of 2018 and my right hand done in December of 2018. Didn't have to take much time off from shooting at all - but I did switch back to production with a plastic gun as major with a heavy steel gun seemed like a bad idea.

I'm back to shooting major this year.

The greatest benefit is that I can ride motorcycles again without my hands falling asleep.

Wish I had done it sooner.

I had both hands done in 2000 two weeks apart. I was off work for 6 weeks. Physical therapy really helped getting back the strength faster. At the time I was mainly shooting rifle. It took several months to get enough strength back were I could hold the rifles offhand and not shake. 

Almost a month and the hand is doing good. Back near 100% until I started rough housing with my 16 year old, then I found my limit.

Went and shot a match and did pretty good. Hand just gets tired feeling after a while. The incision is almost gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I had cubital tunnel surgery (same issue but in elbows) done on both arms in late 2015/early 2016, and when they did my left elbow they did carpal tunnel at the same time. 4 years later I can say that it was mostly a waste of time and effort. No real pain after surgery though and was back at work with in 3 weeks. My big issues are still a 7-10 pain scale down my outer arm to my pinky and loss of strength with hard use. The surgery did however mostly get rid of the numbness. And by hard use I mean holding the steering wheel for more then about 10 minutes. Now for a day job I am a heavy equipment mechanic and it doesnt help at all but it's what I know how to do and pays quite well so I just deal with the pain