Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strong Mount—No Need for Overhang?

I was going through the instructions and getting ready to mount the strong mount to my bench. For installation without the strong mount, I believe the instructions call for x" of overhang; however, the I believe the strong mount eliminates the need for overhang, correct?

The instructions say to mount it "close to the front edge...", so thought I would ask—is 1.5" from the edge going to be a problem?

I thought I would ask once, drill once, and avoid having the bench look like some clown was poking and hoping while looking for a stud in the wall. :)

31 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I would just put the mount on the press and see how far back it can go before the handle hits.

+1. The operating handle is the controlling factor in how close to the edge of the bench you can mount the press.  My 650 on a Strong Mount is positioned so the front edge of the Strong Mount is about 3/4" back from the edge of the bench and the handle clears the bench by about 1" at full stroke.

Edited by SteelCityShooter

1 hour ago, SteelCityShooter said:

+1. The operating handle is the controlling factor in how close to the edge of the bench you can mount the press.  My 650 on a Strong Mount is positioned so the front edge of the Strong Mount is about 3/4" back from the edge of the bench and the handle clears the bench by about 1" at full stroke.

Thank you, sir...good to know. I was hoping someone with a strong mount mounted back from the edge would give some insight..very helpful. Thanks again.

(I have a 200+ pound solid wood bunting door I am mounting on 3x 2-door cabinets in the garage, so just put it on the bench and pull the handle isn't an option yet. :) )

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Where my old 650 was before it got replaced with a 1050. ;) 

IMG_0746.jpg.fcb5891b8cbe7249de17cbc81c6b88b3.jpgIMG_0755.jpg.37882ff5992c3d458c38f0ab4e2bd50d.jpg

I see you drilled another hole. Genius. lol :)

I'll mount the wood flush to the front of the cabinets, then, and be good to go either way. The issue was screwing down the front without hitting the cabinet frames, so wanted to move it back an inch or so to get some decent clearance...can move the mount to the edge and drill the extra hole an inch back if I run into any issues with the handle. 

Good call. Thanks again.

On 6/15/2020 at 6:18 PM, DeweyH said:

You have to make sure your pull handle has clearance to make a complete cycle, without touching the bench.

^^THIS^^

Mine is back about 4-5" from the edge of the bench.  install the mount, place it on the bench lower the handle and adjust as necessary.

On 6/15/2020 at 10:13 PM, Terp said:

(I have a 200+ pound solid wood bunting door I am mounting on 3x 2-door cabinets in the garage, so just put it on the bench and pull the handle isn't an option yet. :) )

^^THIS^^ is the reason I was asking. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 7:49 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Where my old 650 was before it got replaced with a 1050. ;) 

That's a cute steel-based table you have there. Is it fastened to the floor?

4 hours ago, rodell said:

That's a cute steel-based table you have there. Is it fastened to the floor?

Nope.

Two ordinary legs up front.

But there are 4” woodscrews lagged into the studs in the rear. ;) 

Each corner has a diagonal brace welded ijside the corner (which is also obviously welded solid) make it insanely rigid.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

One last asinine question. :)

My OCD is kicking in and on a beer break while installing the mount, so have to ask. Does your mount fit square/flush to the base of the press, or is it "crooked" like this (below). 

I checked both sides all around to ensure they weren't (L)(R) side-specific before bolting it on...total mirror images of one another...but never seen one this far off (it's the 650/750 only strong mount, so only one  hole in each corner for the 4 bolts that connect to the press...not the double-holes in each corner like for the 550/650/750 mount).

Even though I swear they are mirror images of one another, I'll have to go try to switch sides and see if that corrects it, though I don't see how...not a big deal, but I'll keep looking at it for years thinking I should have switched sides if I don't. :)

...and the holes are pretty fitted, so it;'s not like there's a lot of play to just loosen them up and straighten it out. Strange.

1634333036_IMG_0964-Copy.thumb.jpg.174852860253bb024cd02a961277026d.jpg