Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different type of 9mm minor question

theblacklabel18

Hey all,

I looked around for a similar answer to this question, but could not find one. If there’s one you know of, please link it and I’ll kill this thread.

So I recently had a non-ported 9mm minor barrel fit to my 38sc gun for bulk practice (to save money and not break parts), and to also screw around with steel matches (just for fun, not my main goal for this question)

I was looking through the threads at 9mm minor loads, and found many that greatly answered questions for “match” ammo, shooting super soft and super flat. However, I am looking for a load that will “mimic” (feel, not noise obviously) the way the gun reacts in major.

My major match ammo is 124gr Atlanta Arms 38sc, if that helps anyone.

I know you don’t have my gun or barrel or what not, but a general direction to start in as far as bullet weights and powder burn rates would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by theblacklabel18

Awesome thanks!

Yea I figured I’d have to go a little hotter to get the slide speed up, but didn’t know if I should go 115 or 124. 

Most of what I saw were 115 minor loads with higher powder charges to “work the comp”, or as much as a minor load can.

Any idea of slower or faster powders?

You can load in that range with minor powders. That's what I would tend to do if your looking for the feel of major since it would be snappier. Keep it at 145 and under.

I know major powders like HS6 can be loaded down in that range too. But it will likely be super dirty.

If you have a minor and major powder on hand, you could develop a load for each in that range and see what you like better. But of coarse be careful that is getting in the upper end of some minor powders. Like tightgroup builds a lot of pressure at higher charges and might not be a good minor powder to load up too much.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

You're unlikely to develop a load that feels quite the same as Major 38SC.   BTDT  There's just not the same energy there. 

But you can get something that's entirely usable that will be effective for training.  115gr and something around the Silhouette burn range is a good place to start looking.  You may need to fiddle with springs and adjust your scope between loads and barrels (much easier if you have a click-adjustable scope and record the clicks it takes back and forth).

Does this 9 barrel have a comp on it?

Understood, I was trying to get as close as possible within SAAMI specs to be easy on the gun for high volume practice.

I’m seeing that the general consensus for minor loads is still 115’s, with the powder choice giving it the change in characteristics that I’m looking for.

Thank you for the response! I’ll have to look at the burn rate chart for silhouette and dig around that.

115's are cheap and you can get them going faster within pressure limits so you get closer to the timing of a 1350-fps 124gr Major load.   Presuming this 9 barrel has a comp.  Without a comp, IDK.  Never tried and sounds difficult to get the dot doing the same things.

I'd be careful running 115 blues through a comp anywhere close to max velocity. Look at SNS i tried some at major with 38sc their 125 with 3n38 made 168 thats was below their max rating of 1500fps. Just really smokey. 

But for what you want thats not a huge deal, like low 9s' in charge with a 125gr/AA7 should get you in that 140-150 range. 

If you know what powder and bullet your major load is built with just step a notch faster in that brand of powder and a notch lighter in that brand of bullet and it will be as close as your going to get for feel. So say its n350 and 124 fmj just roll n330 and a 115 fmj. 

OP, I did exactly what you did and found it did not work.  First off you left out the poppels.  They make the gun shoot flatter at the expense of a harder hit to you hand.  So your minor barrel will lift a little higher.  I finally gave up a built a second gun set up specifically for minor.  I got tired of switching stuff around every time I changed loads.  You can tune the gun perfectly for major or minor, but not both at the same time.

I think, but am not sure, the suggestion(s) of trying a 115 is going the wrong way.  My major load is a 115 JHP at 1470 using AA7 or SWMP.  The closest I came to the same 'feel' was a 124 JHP at 1120 using 3N38.  For comparison purposes only it is 10.2gr SWMP vs. 6.8gr 3N38.  IMO, you want a faster powder for minor.  I tried WAC, Silhouette and N340.  Not the same feel or muzzle rise.  Going to a 124 with 3N38 gave the same feel with very slightly more muzzle rise.  This was in a barrel with three custom comp chambers and two 3/16" poppels.

being as no load will feel the same as the major load just use any proven 9mm minor load with whatever bullet you like. in the end you are practicing to watch the sights and the bullets are just there to tell you if yo did the sights and trigger press correctly, no matter what you do the "timing" will be different so don't worry about it. 

JJ had a interesting story from the last world shoot where Eric did 90% of his practice for Standard (Limited) with a 9mm top end, then swapped to the 40 top end for 1 day before the match.

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

being as no load will feel the same as the major load just use any proven 9mm minor load with whatever bullet you like. in the end you are practicing to watch the sights and the bullets are just there to tell you if yo did the sights and trigger press correctly, no matter what you do the "timing" will be different so don't worry about it. 

JJ had a interesting story from the last world shoot where Eric did 90% of his practice for Standard (Limited) with a 9mm top end, then swapped to the 40 top end for 1 day before the match.

Yes! You get the exact point of what I want to do! 

I was just trying to get as close as possible to what major felt like. But my main practice point is tracking the dot and making sure everything reacts neutrally.

thanks for the input! I’ll have to email grauffel about his thoughts on “lesser recoiling” training