Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack and custom slide milling Q

matteekay

On 6/14/2020 at 7:19 PM, JayWord said:

Not that I am an expert on anything, but...

It is my experience that a large number of the Single Stack shooters have no clue how heavy their gun is. Ask them if they weighed it and you get a deer in the headlights look. ;)

My two primary 45 SS guns are both Colts and neither breaks 39 Ounces with a mag inserted.

For a number of years it was the guys shooting 9MM guns who got into trouble since they forgot there is a bit more weight in a 9MM barrel than a 40 or 45 barrel.

The conspiracy-theory is the 1911 Society picked that number because it was easy to make with a .45 and difficult with a 9... ;)

• 1 year later...
On 6/14/2020 at 1:19 PM, JayWord said:

I think the heaviest gun we saw at Chrono was 50+. That of course does not cover the bull barrels and Para LDA's that showed up occasionally.

Quick rehash but... would a Para LDA be allowed in Single Stack?

The special conditions are:

"Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning. Pistols made from components that duplicate the factory originals are acceptable. Frames must be metal. Modular frames in the 1911 style, which use traditional single stack 1911 magazines, are USPSA Competition RulesSeptember2021106allowed. No wide body magazines, including those adapted to feed in a single column, may be used."

I'd argue it absolutely has its basis in the original 1911. Is it a "1911 production type pistol"? That feels debatable. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/3/2022 at 7:24 AM, Bakerjd said:

And we eventually changed the weight limit in SS to 45oz.... lol

Of course we did. Rules exist for a purpose. It might be historical or functional or to limit gun equity creep. But someone always to change those rules for their own purpose  Usually because they bought something blindly and can't figure out how to rescue it from uselessness.

A rule is a rule. It's just a control on changes. Just give me another 1/2 oz because I need it is not a reason to change a rule. Go buy a gun that fits or figure out a legal fix for the one you bought with no consideration of the rules.

This happens over and over because USPSA is willing to try and satisfy every ignorant request.

1 hour ago, Brooke said:

Of course we did. Rules exist for a purpose. It might be historical or functional or to limit gun equity creep. But someone always to change those rules for their own purpose  Usually because they bought something blindly and can't figure out how to rescue it from uselessness.

A rule is a rule. It's just a control on changes. Just give me another 1/2 oz because I need it is not a reason to change a rule. Go buy a gun that fits or figure out a legal fix for the one you bought with no consideration of the rules.

This happens over and over because USPSA is willing to try and satisfy every ignorant request.

IMO it was a good change. It allowed people to buy an off the shelf 9mm 1911 amd not have to immediately spend more money to get it to fit a weight limit that was based off another sports weight limit. 

2 hours ago, Brooke said:

I think the weight increase came when they legalized lights. To account for... the light.

• 2 months later...

No they changed the weight so most 9MM stock 1911's would be legal. The light issue was not a major consideration in SS. The weight change was coming before the rule change on lights.

Jay

Yeah, the old rule was both a bit arbitrary and also punitive to 9mms, likely on purpose since it was copied from the old Single Stack Society rules and the people in charge of that at the time thought anything not .45 ACP in 1911's was heresy. 

It made all kinds of sense to bump it a few oz to match reality in 2020 instead of how people thought things should be in 1995, versus some of the other random weight changes we've endured lately.  Had nothing to do with lights.

You can find some discussion on it right here on the previous page in this thread.