Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hmm...I see a web page with a 650 and casefeeder at 30% off retail...  ;)

Seriously, though, any of the small items would be cool.  Funnels, buttons, shellplates, spare parts kits, etc.  Media!! Definitely Media!!  Dealers here are really weird about keeping that stuff in stock consistently.

Brian, what would also be cool is a central location to swap and/or sell the modifications people have come up with on their Dillons.  I kludged together a digital round counter for personal use, but never went further with it thinking Dillon would come out for a replacement for the old, mechanical one.  

I have to wonder what other great gizmos people have cooked up.  (Love your auto bullet feeder, by the way.)

Eric

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

I'm going to build some Dillon stuff into my online store. Now since they stock about 8 million products, obviously I have to pick and choose a bit, or I'll spend the rest of my life building Dillon pages. With that in mind, what do you think would sell off be.com? I listed a few of my first ideas as a starter, what am I missing?

hp1, and hp2 hearing protectors

range bags

D-Terminator scale

low-powder sensor?

tumblers and media separators

650 (+case feeder)

automatic primer filler

???

Thanks! (Kyle:)

be

Hmmm, let's see...

Quick change kits 550/650

Media & Polish

By the way BE.com regulars:   I just got in my first order of Dillon stuff through BE.com.  Not only did I get some cool Dillon stuff, I got expert advice, great service, and 5% off!!  Such a deal!!  I've always liked Dillon, but I like this even more.

Now for that 1050 I have my eye on....

;)

Eric

My first thought is to put together a "package" that someone can order when they first start reloading.

Dillon's catalog bites.  Nobody new ever knows what they need to order.  Questions-a-plenty on all the different shooting forums.  Hell, I just got a 650 (used)...I have to dig through the catalog or call in to dillon to figure out what i need to run a different caliber.

If you had a page on your "e-shop" that explained the presses better...and ALL the needed equipment, then we could just point newbies (from all forums) right to that page.  Likely leading to a sale.

Don't forget the SDB.  It offers a lower price point and is a solid, working machine.  The SDB is all many will ever need.  If/when they move to a bigger, better press they will likely buy that from BE too.  Repeat business...yeah.

If you were going to do a "package" reloading deal, I would like to see this...

650 + casefeeder

strongmount

scale (of some sort)

chamber gauge

I don't know s&%$ about reloading, except 12ga.  But I am sure there might be a few other things that could be added to that list that a new reloader could 'need'.

I don't  do a lot of reloading at this time so my little Lee 1000 is fine for my ocassional use but i already see the fiture need for a Dillion.

From what i've read the Roller Handle is a Need if your getting into serious reloading.

Brian, you might want to have a Dillon Links page for other products, and if you offer a package deal that gets the additonal discount it would be nice if the Options were listed at the correct discounted price on that page(s).

mike

OK, along the lines of Kyle's post...

What would be cool is a little java script app that the user input the caliber they want to load, then returns the correct shellplate, button, funnel combination and allows the user to order each individually.  Many (new to Dillons) people are unaware of the fact that those parts can be interchanged among many calibers.  If you buy full caliber conversion kits, you're going to buy duplicate parts sooner or later.  That would save people time and money & make it easy to order only what they need.

My $.03,

Eric

Jerome and Singlestack,

I may well have what you want getting prototyped.  I am trying to talk Brian into selling them on his site.  I will try to post an image in my webspace this weekend so you can see what I'm talking about.

In short, it is very cool.  It consists of a "silo" that feeds parts into a shallow tray.  The tray is situated in the same position as Dillon's bullet tray.  The diffence is that the bin is designed to feed both bullets and brass.  The "silo-bin" solved my biggest ergonomic gripe:  get a bin big enough to hold a lot of brass, and 200 rounds later, you have to reach in blind to pick out your brass.  Well, I think I've got it licked...

The proto holds approximately 1500 9mm cases (approx. 1200 - 38 super and 1000 - 45 ACP).  It will be strong enough to be filled about 1/2 full of bullets which will be about the right proportion.  It will have a stand that is height adjustable to your liking.  The stand can be bolted to your table.  It is fully roller handle compatible.  I plan to make models compatible will all Dillon presses.  The initial release should be fully compatible with the Square Deal w/o the strong mounts.

I loaded 1000 rds with my 550 this week using the new bin and dramatically improved my reloading speed.  I didn't have to get up to "reload" bins once.  Yahoo!  Plus, the cases get presented in mostly "mouth up" orientation, so picking the cases up is very quick and easy.  

Email me off list and we can talk about beta testing. I'm still getting production quotes, so I don't have retail pricing yet.  I do plan on making Brian and the BE.com regulars a very good deal.  

my email:  cub_pilot99@hotmail.com

Best Regards,

Eric

Eric sent me an acrobat reader file of "the holder" - it looks cool. We'll keep you updated...

And, at Kyle's suggestion, I've been working on a "new shooter intro" to the Dillon machines and accessories. I'll post it on the forum before I build it into my site.

be

BE...drawing from EricW's early post and my current need...

Here is a sample problem (real life too):

I just bought a 650 (used).  It comes ready to go in 38 Super Comp, with the case feeder.  I would like to be able to load 40 S&W, 10mm, 45ACP, and 9mm.

But, to keep it simple, let say I just want to load 45.  What will I need?

That is the kind of stuff that the Dillon catalog make you work to figure out.

If somebody at the range asks me a similar question I have to shrug and suggest they, "just call Dillon".  I would love to say, "Go to BrianEnos.com, he explains the difference between the SDB, the 550, the 650 and the 1050.  He tells you what you need to get each up and running in your caliber...and he even gives you a discount.  While your there, get his book.  It will take you up a class or two".

Kyle

You know what's great about you? You take this oh so technical thing we do called retail and break it down into one simple thing - what the consumer wants.

There's a great quiz out "there" - How do you put an elephant in a refridgerator? Any guesses? You open the door, put the elephant in and then you shut the door. I swear - we make this shit too complicated.

JB

BE

I know I'm late to get in on this -

I think the package deal is a GREAT idea - and I also think its a great way to bring value to your consumers.

I think a "Press Package" is a great idea - especially w/ quick caliber conversion kits.

I also think you can build packages that cator to the needs of your various customers. Obviously you wouldn't send me the same package that you would a brand new shooter. To build 3 or 4 packages that fits the needs of your various shooter groups would be awesome.

Need some insight into what the packages might be? That should be easy. I would be willing to bet Dillon has the data that shows what items sell w/ other items for each transaction (ie if someone buys a press, dies, scale and primer tray all in the same transaction then there's an option for a kit . . . you package your stuff a bit better and save on shipping plus Dillon cuts you a break on price and all the sudden you can offer the set at a better deal than all the items bought individually) If they don't have the list then shame on them. But I bet they do. Look at that list - and start applying a bit of logic to it (correlating to your seperate shooting packages)

I'd also try and find out what "add on" sales could drive your business. Maybe you don't sell the press - maybe you sell all the merchandise that all of us figured out we needed after we bought the press. Scales, primer trays, tubes, caliber changing kits, allen wrenches (maybe the custom BE allen head set - that includes the wrenches you need in your shooting bag and ditches the wrenches you don't). etc.

Personally I think the tool head to the 1050 would be a GREAT item. If you could get thing to retail for $200 - all the sudden you are giving someone the 1050 option in a new caliber (w/o spending $1200). Talk about value! And you get the higher $$$ ring per unit too - not a bad deal.

Anyhow - I ain't Kyle - but we can all aspire to be : )

JB