Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running a level 2 match

rustychev

So for two years running now our section match has sold out and the next closest two or three section or state match have also sold out.  I was approached today about holding a level 2 match split between two local clubs.  For a little back ground my home club has been around a lot of years but only has five bays.  A new club has opened about 25 miles or 30 minuets drive time away.  They have 4 bays.  

Has anyone ever run a level 2 split between two ranges?

Other than form C and naming a RM and MD and stage approval what is needed from or to USPSA.  Also per the rule book A1 line 17"submit post match reports"  what is that?

What about liability insurance?

Im missing a lot right?

Lose out line 9 or 10 stages (based on how this summers dirt work goes at the new range) split to am at one range 1 hour lunch then pm at the other range.   100 - 120 slots plus staff

Time frame is summer 2021 late May to early June

18 minutes ago, rustychev said:

2 days is something to think about but that is a three day match with staff on say Friday.   I would think staff would be harder to find for that?

That's the way section matches that I've attended have been run.  Just don't know that competitors would want to have to pack up in the middle of the day and drive to another range to shoot the afternoon.  

The Augusta and Hampden Maine clubs have done a couple.  Ranges are 90 minutes apart.  On Saturday, half the squads shot in Augusta, the other half in Hampden and for Sunday, switched.  

Post match report is a brief summary of the match and a financial report.  The financial isn't complicated, just an overview of income and expenses - mine has never been more than about a dozen lines.

As for liability, no different than any other match.

1 hour ago, Lee Cabana said:

The Augusta and Hampden Maine clubs have done a couple.  Ranges are 90 minutes apart.  On Saturday, half the squads shot in Augusta, the other half in Hampden and for Sunday, switched.  

Post match report is a brief summary of the match and a financial report.  The financial isn't complicated, just an overview of income and expenses - mine has never been more than about a dozen lines.

As for liability, no different than any other match.

Iv never really thought about liability at a local as we are covered by the range plan.  Just thought it might be a thing with people moving between ranges.  

We will see what happens.  

I would think AM/PM over two days would be better. Friday staff shoots everything, and room for some competitors. Then everyone else shoots half sat, half sun. That gives you room for 270 shooters with squads of only 10. And you don't have to worry about getting from one range to the other between morning and afternoon sessions. 

Take good care of your staff and you wont have problems finding people to work it.

2 hours ago, Lee Cabana said:

Post match report is a brief summary of the match and a financial report.  The financial isn't complicated, just an overview of income and expenses 

Actually you have to pay USPSA $XX per shooter. It varies based on if you run classifiers or not.

Columbia Cascade section match here in Oregon used to be split between two clubs roughly 15 miles apart.

That was back in the day that each club had roughly 6 bays.   Worked OK.   Split into two groups of squads.

Shoot one range Saturday, one range Sunday then everybody gathered for awards etc at one range.    

I would think that it could be done in 1 day if you wanted, but a lot of shooters find a 10 stage 1 day match is a long day without having to pack up and drive a half hour. 

I would probably schedule 1.5 to 2hr for lunch and see how the schedule worked from there, once you let a herd of shooters out or RO control it tends to be hard to get them wrangled back in quickly. If you schedule 1hr to pack up drive 30 min unpack and be at a stage over half will be late, a substantial portion of those will be very late because they will stop for food and gas 

Or run the whole match at your 5 bay club and shoot two versions of each stage on each bay to make it a 10 stage match. I have done this very thing for the Mile High Showdown for several years using 6 bays where each stage is shot in two different ways making it a 12 stage match. This does require some creative thinking in stage design to make two stages out of one physical stage. You also need to put put administration effort into ensuring that the stages are setup for the proper "version" during the match schedule. For examples of stage designs log into Practiscore and check out the 2020 Mile High Showdown Level 2 USPSA match. All of the stages are uploaded so you can see how the version changes are deployed for the same physical stages. For this match Stage 1 & 7 are the same physical stage.

45 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Or run the whole match at your 5 bay club and shoot two versions of each stage on each bay to make it a 10 stage match. I have done this very thing for the Mile High Showdown for several years using 6 bays where each stage is shot in two different ways making it a 12 stage match. This does require some creative thinking in stage design to make two stages out of one physical stage. You also need to put put administration effort into ensuring that the stages are setup for the proper "version" during the match schedule. For examples of stage designs log into Practiscore and check out the 2020 Mile High Showdown Level 2 USPSA match. All of the stages are uploaded so you can see how the version changes are deployed for the same physical stages. For this match Stage 1 & 7 are the same physical stage.

We have an indoor range by us that does this very thing.  Their monthly locals use 3 bays and they get 6 stages.  Once a year they run a tournament in the winter and get to 8 stages using the 3 bays.