Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any good 9 minor Autocomp loads?

BryceA

Does anybody know a good use for some Autocomp in 9 minor? I bought a pound trying to make some stout loads to simulate defensive rounds. It turns out Autocomp wasn't the ticket as it didn't get me fast enough without pushing past published data (BE-86 did the trick) and now I have a lb laying around with no real purpose as I have plenty of sport pistol for game loads. I thought I'd check here to see if anybody has suggestions before burning it up in some not-great-for-anything practice loads. I get why people might like Autocomp for 9 major, it's super dense, but I'm not seeing a purpose for 9 minor.

Autocomp gets dirty fast if you go too low.  5.0 to 5.2gr under a 124 @ 1.150" is good for about 1100fps, depending on your barrel.  It works great for minor.  IMO, it's too fast for major.

I'd planned on doing Blue Bullet 147 FP over 4.0gr. That gets me ~136PF out of a G19 which seems like it would be in the same ballpark. Has anybody tried making high velocity 115 FMJ rounds with it? The data says that nearly 1200 is possible, but I've been underwhelmed so far and am thinking it's time to stop trying new loads and just move on.

4 hours ago, BryceA said:

I'd planned on doing Blue Bullet 147 FP over 4.0gr. That gets me ~136PF out of a G19 which seems like it would be in the same ballpark. Has anybody tried making high velocity 115 FMJ rounds with it? The data says that nearly 1200 is possible, but I've been underwhelmed so far and am thinking it's time to stop trying new loads and just move on.

I run 115’s at 1500+ with 8 grains of WAC

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

I run 115’s at 1500+ with 8 grains of WAC

11 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Last batch that I chrono'ed was RMR 124 JHP over 7.2 grains of WAC. Averaged 1417 out of a 5" barrel.

Like those numbers!! Are you guys running these with a comp or not?

14 minutes ago, lwink said:

Like those numbers!! Are you guys running these with a comp or not?

They’re loding for Open with a 5” 1911 barrel and a comp, I’d expect.

Just be aware than Major 9mm loads are significantly over book, and very much in +P+ territory. Pursue at your own risk. Profession driver, closed course, etc. ;) 

In a gun as light as the Glock 19 you mentioned early on, a somewhat more conservative load might be wise. 1500 fps in a 30ish oz gun would be... a handful. 😁

I loaded some 124 JHPs to 1,230 FPS with Longshot, and those shot just like store bought defensive ammo at mid-150s power factor. A little loud and a little more recoil than plinking ammo, but hardly a huge change you’d need to work hard to get used to.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

38 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

They’re loding for Open with a 5” 1911 barrel and a comp, I’d expect.

Just be aware than Major 9mm loads are significantly over book, and very much in +P+ territory. Pursue at your own risk. Profession driver, closed course, etc. ;) 

In a gun as light as the Glock 19 you mentioned early on, a somewhat more conservative load might be wise. 1500 fps in a 30ish oz gun would be... a handful. 😁

I loaded some 124 JHPs to 1,230 FPS with Longshot, and those shot just like store bought defensive ammo at mid-150s power factor. A little loud and a little more recoil than plinking ammo, but hardly a huge change you’d need to work hard to get used to.

Assumed so - thanks!