Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stippling an X5 Legion Grip Module?

BobRockefeller

4 minutes ago, Michael303 said:

I've seen quite a few done.  I've heard they can be quite grippy.  I came across the following example recently.

https://www.facebook.com/gungripcustoms/posts/2759709094136642

This is nicely done. But it's in a standard polymer, not the tungsten infused polymer of the Legion grip.

I asked the guy who stippled my P320 regular polymer X-Series grip if he did the Legion kind and he was noncommittal, saying no one had taken the chance on such an expensive grip module.

4 hours ago, BobRockefeller said:

This is nicely done. But it's in a standard polymer, not the tungsten infused polymer of the Legion grip.

Looks like a grey Legion grip to me. The post text says Sig Legion too...  Good luck though. 

6 hours ago, BobRockefeller said:

Very nice! Do they melt more or less “just like” a polymer grip module does? More heat, more pressure?

Little more time under heat to raise a stipple.. much more agressive bite in the hand than polymer...little harder to sand down and shape before stppiling 

5 hours ago, Lowsc3 said:

Honestly probably better to silicon carbide it. I stippled my original x5 grip and it was better, my TXG grip has the SC and its WAYYY better

SC has a build up... I shave things down to:

1.fit my hand

2. Lower the  bore axis

3. Adjust the  natural index of my grip to the sight

4. Control the direction and aggressiveness of the stipples  in relation to my hands and grip style

On 4/18/2020 at 8:17 PM, 2011BLDR said:

SC has a build up... I shave things down to:

1.fit my hand

2. Lower the  bore axis

3. Adjust the  natural index of my grip to the sight

4. Control the direction and aggressiveness of the stipples  in relation to my hands and grip style

Nailed it! I much prefer having Alma do my grips in SC and when doing so he can change the things you mentioned based on your preferences. I had mine widened and built out to match a 2011 better and it was amazing.

I have two Legion TXG grips that have been stippled.  3 Golf Gunworks did the stippling, and has three different stippling options.  He did mention it was a little harder to work on, but did not seem to mind.  Everyone that has gripped the gun has been super impressed.   With a grip that is so expensive, I would want to make sure you use someone that knows what they are doing.