Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting a Stock X-FIVE Legion in USPSA and IDPA?

BobRockefeller

What is the feasibility of running a fully stock X-FIVE Legion in USPSA and IDPA?

I read so much about how great the trigger system is, but then there are threads and threads about the Grayguns, Apex, and Keres triggers, kits, trigger bars, and springs.

Stippling the polymer X series grips seemed a near necessity, and the Grayguns ready to go version is popular, but I don't see much about making the Legion grip more aggressive for those South Georgia Summers.

I don't see any issue with it. The gun is fine right out of the box IMO. Take off the mag well and shoot it in Prod, you may have to shave a little weight for IDPA's 43 oz limit. No magwell should be good for SSP, with magwell ESP. I'm running one for CO set up to be legal in Both IDPA and USPSA. You can run the magwell in IDPA CO, I don't because I don't really feel like I need it. And that way I'm always using the same set up.

I did add the GG kit but I've been running the stock trigger with just the GG sear and springs. I think I'm going to add the Kere's trigger too. I mean why not? Those are fairly cheap and easy upgrades really. I think the grip texture is fine stock. The gun didn't move in my hands, that's really all that matters. I did get board a few weeks ago and SC the grip anyway. Now I'm tearing my hands up in dryfire. lol.

The stock X5 Legion is definitely "good enough" to not hold you back from winning anything. Of course the caveat is if you're winning, you would have won no matter what was in your hands anyway. I think it's the best striker fired trigger on the market, aside from the Walther Q5 Match, which is a little crisper with less travel. But if you're coming from Glocks, it will be a breath of fresh air.

Trigger is about 4# on mine. No need to do any trigger work nor add expensive triggers. I believe one company now makes a lighter mag well for the X5 Legion so it makes weight in IDPA ESP.

Ignore the trigger-related threads and just shoot it at matches. I added Talon grips ($17) to mine because I like more "grippier" grips. I think the point above about some people just like to tinker or try to get maximum performance with tinkering is likely the case. If you have the money, time, and inclination okay, but do not get the impression that the stock trigger isn't good to go from those threads.

Edited by Steppenwolf
Typo

23 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Gun runs fine. Boys will be boys, and to be honest... many of us find more satisfaction from tinkering with guns than we do from practicing and actually improving.

I know myself, I fit that category for sure. Well, I also like practicing and improving but I can't help but tinker.

That is part of why I went with the Sig for CO. I know going in all I'm going to be able to do is a GG trigger and run with it. As much as I like the tanfo's, I know I'd tinker and polish and tune and waste time. I took that off the table and bought a gun I thought would be simple and just go train. For me I think it's the right call.

It depends on how trigger sensitive you are.  If you're hard and fast on the trigger and it doesn't cause a lot of muzzle movement, then you'll probably like the stock trigger.  

There are some simple things you can do to improve it with the right parts, but it's not necessary...one of the best Production shooters in the country shoots a bone stock 320X5 Legion (Mason Lane).  

My suggestions for easy DIY would be maybe some grip tape or stippling on the grip module, and add some weight...tungsten guide rod, brass base pads, etc.  

For carry optics, you'll definitely want some Grams spring & followers and an aftermarket extended basepad or two...that will get you an easy 23rds in the mag.