Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate extended spring and followers

Dirty_J

Grams but you will also likely need to tune your mags.  I tried to get mine to run with springs and followers from CZC and then switched to Grams.  Got better and played with load lengths.  I finally tuned my mags and they have been flawless ever since.

1 hour ago, aandabooks said:

Grams but you will also likely need to tune your mags.  I tried to get mine to run with springs and followers from CZC and then switched to Grams.  Got better and played with load lengths.  I finally tuned my mags and they have been flawless ever since.

What’s the part number for the grams springs and followers for the 170mm mag? What’s your load length? I can’t get the CZC spring and follower to work in my big stick with 1.160-1.165” OAL. Thanks.

They are at Shooter's Connection.  13 coil for the 170mm mag.  I'm at 1.165" with Everglades 124gr bullets.  Even with the Grams the mags did not run 100% until I tuned the mags.  They had to be squeezed down like .060" from where they were.  Not hard to do with a vice but the feedlips will need pliers to get them right.

Thank you. I’ll order a couple tonight. I’m loading 124 Gr JHP from PD with 10.2 Gr of AA7.

I’ll make a jig out of wood so it won’t get damaged when I squeeze it down in my vise. What measurement did you get on the feed lips after you were done tuning the mag? 

Edit- Shooter’s Connection is out of stock on the 13 coil.

Edited by George16

10 minutes ago, George16 said:

Just ordered a couple. Their order form is one of a kind. There are no payment options so I’ll just have to wait for them to call me like it says.

Thanks again.

Lol. Really?? Interesting. 

I emailed them a couple of days ago to inquire about tuning my big stick. No reply as of yet. Hopefully they’re working and don’t have the ‘Rona. 

8 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

Lol. Really?? Interesting. 

I emailed them a couple of days ago to inquire about tuning my big stick. No reply as of yet. Hopefully they’re working and don’t have the ‘Rona. 

Yup. Check out the link aandabooks posted. Try ordering a product and then go to checkout. You’ll see the page where it explains why they don’t have payment options and wait for someone to call you to make sure you ordered the correct product.

I tried ording grams springs through their web site.  Never heard anything Back.  Buy them from Shooters.  If they don't have the 13 coil with the follower you can buy a 11 coil  with follower one and an extra 13 coil spring.  Same follower

4 hours ago, Timido said:

I tried ording grams springs through their web site.  Never heard anything Back.  Buy them from Shooters.  If they don't have the 13 coil with the follower you can buy a 11 coil  with follower one and an extra 13 coil spring.  Same follower

Yup. Haven’t received anything from them at all. I even called their number but it just keeps on ringing. Probably nobody is at the office due to the Coronavirus.

Thanks for the info. Didn’t realize that any grams 13 coil spring will work as long as I have the TSO/Czechmate specific follower. The standalone  13 coil springs are also out of stock so I ordered a couple of the STI/SV kiss and will just swap the followers.

Edited by George16

For what it's worth I have found that using the Grams/CZC followers in the big sticks doesn't actually get me extra rounds, I can still fit 29 in either way, it's just a little easier to seat with the Grams followers. The OEM one seems to give me more reliable feeding in my experience, so I have stuck with those. I don't reload to big sticks, so the extra slack doesn't matter much to me. 

For the 140s the grams followers let me get 24 vs 23 rounds with the OEMs, but it's not a reloadable 24; the 23 rounds with OEM follower are plenty reloadable. If this was for a carry optics gun then having 24+1 as an option is a no-brainer, but why start 24+1 when you can start with a big stick...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 8:39 PM, aandabooks said:

They are at Shooter's Connection.  13 coil for the 170mm mag.  I'm at 1.165" with Everglades 124gr bullets.  Even with the Grams the mags did not run 100% until I tuned the mags.  They had to be squeezed down like .060" from where they were.  Not hard to do with a vice but the feedlips will need pliers to get them right.

Did you put the big stick in a vice and just squeeze it down .60” cause I’m having the same issue with mine and have tried for month to get in contact with Bevin Gram

On 4/9/2020 at 7:22 PM, aandabooks said:

What did you do to tune it? I’m having issues with mine running reliably I have the grams follower But I’m not sure what I need to do to tune them to run reliably. Thank you for any information!

8 hours ago, Ntbmustang1 said:

What did you do to tune it? I’m having issues with mine running reliably I have the grams follower But I’m not sure what I need to do to tune them to run reliably. Thank you for any information!

For the control rib: 0.735” just above the mag catch hole

Feed lips: 0.365” in the rear, 0.375” in the front

Those are the numbers that I tuned my mags to.  You'll need a caliper, something to squeeze the mag body with and a pair of feed lip pliers to tune the feed lips.  All my mags were drop free but most measured up around .790" when I got started.  I made some jaws for my vice but this could be done with some vice grips with the narrow jaws. 

Take the mags apart and squeeze them down to the .735" measurement.  Make sure they still fit your gun and drop free.  If not you'll need to squeeze them front to back.  Next to do is check the feed lips.  They will likely be smaller so you'll need to open them up.  Tools like these are what you'll need to get them tuned:  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006MTTPY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Armor-AUTOMATIC-Clamp-Plier-7CC/dp/B07PGJCR3R/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=vice+grip+clamping+pliers&qid=1587734461&s=hi&sr=1-18

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2020 at 8:22 AM, aandabooks said:

For the control rib: 0.735” just above the mag catch hole

Feed lips: 0.365” in the rear, 0.375” in the front

Those are the numbers that I tuned my mags to.  You'll need a caliper, something to squeeze the mag body with and a pair of feed lip pliers to tune the feed lips.  All my mags were drop free but most measured up around .790" when I got started.  I made some jaws for my vice but this could be done with some vice grips with the narrow jaws. 

Take the mags apart and squeeze them down to the .735" measurement.  Make sure they still fit your gun and drop free.  If not you'll need to squeeze them front to back.  Next to do is check the feed lips.  They will likely be smaller so you'll need to open them up.  Tools like these are what you'll need to get them tuned:  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006MTTPY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Armor-AUTOMATIC-Clamp-Plier-7CC/dp/B07PGJCR3R/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=vice+grip+clamping+pliers&qid=1587734461&s=hi&sr=1-18

Great info.  I assume a lot of trial and error.  Let me ask, what do you use the Locking C-Clamp for?  I see the Chain Pliers is used to open up the feed lips. 

It does seem odd... I'm just now buying a bigger mag when ammo is in short supply, lol.

Edited by robert.a.brewer.

You use the locking clamp to pinch the rib on the mag. I used a 3/8 dowel placed on the rib right above the mag catch hole to pinch my mags.

I use the info @Aandaboks posted above and it worked well. I can now load 29 rounds on my big stick and 23 rounds on my 140 reliably. I used CZC extension, springs and followers on mine. 

Good luck getting a hold of Grams. I called and emailed to no avail.

Edited by George16
Spelling

2 hours ago, George16 said:

You use the locking clamp to pinch the rib on the mag. I used a 3/8 dowel placed on the rib right above the mag catch hole to pinch my mags....

Thanks.  Any more of my questions and aandabooks might just feel compelled to post a video!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

May I ask what the approximate cost was for the mag tune ? Did you send both 140's and 170's ? Were you having reliability issues feeding  prior to the tune ?  and now ?

thanks in advance for your help