Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Les Baer

randy01

I have a race gun built by Les. It is a single stack .45 with bomars on a national match springfield frame, slide, and bbl.

It is the best shooting gun I have, so I can imagine any racegun he builds is sweet.

I've got a Les Baer open gun. Have had it for more than 10 yrs. It is very Accurate, however reliability is another story. It developed a problem with the hammer following after 6 mo. or so. Called LB and was told it was my problem 'cause I must have changed somthing. It also wouldn't hold a trigger job. It also would fail to extract/eject a case every now and then, when the various rimless supers came out it it got much worse. Sent it off to a couple of other 'smiths to do various things, had EGW change the comp back in '96. Finally had Dawson look at it to figure out the extraction/ejection problem. He found it was built with an oversized breach face. In fact it would be oversized if it was a 40. So all in all

I wouldn't have another Les Baer if it was free.

Just my opinion,

Huston in Austin

Slides are great. Since they don't support USPSA any more, since they couldn't build a gun that could compete and invented IDPA (Wilson and Brown included) and have nothing but bash IPSC/USPSA, I really don't have much positive to say about the company.

When in doubt go with those that support our sport. Too building an Open gun is more than just building a 1911. There are specific design criteria that must be in an Open pistol that do not have to be considered on a 'practical' 1911.

Just a suggestion. Look at the Dealers Forum for some great gun builders.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Local GM has several guns that have Les Baer slides, not sure about his barrels.

Les Baer barrels are carbon steel (not stainless), and made by Kart.

I won a Les Baer barrel last year at the Steel Challenge (and there were quite a few to be won), so I know for a fact the company supports that particular disclipline.

Mike

Local GM has several guns that have Les Baer slides, not sure about his barrels.

My gunsmith loves Les Baer slides says they are always dead on.

I don't doubt that! I've seen those "LB" slides being machined at a small but well known shop in Vermont. ;)

I happen to own a Les Baer Priemier II open gun built on a Caspian frame. I purchased it used and it has been a great running pistol.

Slides are great.  Since they don't support USPSA any more, since they couldn't build a gun that could compete and invented IDPA (Wilson and Brown included) and have nothing but bash IPSC/USPSA, I really don't have much positive to say about the company. 

When in doubt go with those that support our sport.  Too building an Open gun is more than just building a 1911.  There are specific design criteria that must be in an Open pistol that do not have to be considered on a 'practical' 1911.

Just a suggestion.  Look at the Dealers Forum for some great gun builders.

Camp Humphreys, ROK

There's no need to engage in firearms manufacturer bashing. There are plenty of anti-gunners doing that. Les Baer, Ed Brown and Bill Wilson make some of the finest, highest quality 1911s on the market today. There is nothing wrong with the fact that they prefer to make custom traditional 1911s over double stack pistols.

SJ

There's no need to engage in firearms manufacturer bashing. There are plenty of anti-gunners doing that. Les Baer, Ed Brown and Bill Wilson make some of the finest, highest quality 1911s on the market today. There is nothing wrong with the fact that they prefer to make custom traditional 1911s over double stack pistols.

SJ

For the record, I wrote:

Slides are great. Since they don't support USPSA any more, since they couldn't build a gun that could compete and invented IDPA (Wilson and Brown included) and have nothing but bash IPSC/USPSA, I really don't have much positive to say about the company.

A) The topic of discussion is on what folks think of LB OPEN guns/parts.

Does anybody have any thoughts about a Les Baer Racegun.

B ) I stated my opinion on their parts and specifically the quality of their slides.

C) Fact is they do not support USPSA/IPSC where OPEN GUNS are used.

D) Fact is that IDPA, started by Bill, Ed & Les, bash the hell out of USPSA/IPSC.

E) I don't remember one anti-gunner comparing/contrasting the quality of one Open gun over another Open gun.

Lastly, when wanting a firearm for a specific sport, try supporting those that support OUR sport. Tough concept I suppose.

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Edited by uscbigdawg