Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Outdoor dry fire

a2holes

6 hours ago, Zincwarrior said:

My apologies for the stupid question, but how do you dry fire outside in a yard situation? Are you nailing them to the fence or how do you set that up? Old fart minds want to know...

i use my regular targets and stands just like as if i was going to the range. same same.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2020 at 1:33 PM, 38SuperWes said:

Question for Paul...so there is nothing illegal about dry fire in your backyard in Florida correct? 

Yes... perfectly legal. In many jurisdictions in the State you can even live fire in your back yard if you have a proper berm and are not "recklessly endangering others". Local county/city/town laws do apply for that. I'm fortunate to live way rural, and have a legal 75 yard range in my backyard. 

If you are going to dry firing in you backyard, and only dry fire, have no live ammo on you. That way if a Karen calls the cops you can prove what you were doing. 

I'd suggest going to back of your yard and aiming back at your own house where your wife and kids are,,,,,,,

oh wait does that make you uncomfortable ? Then maybe you see how your neighbors feel.

General rule # 3. MUZZLE awareness....  Never point your gun at something you arnt willing to destroy.

• 1 year later...

we have a large backyard with no neighbors in sight.  So I've bee setting up small stages with paper and interactive targets.  I've been shooting with a BB revolver with w/ red dot can.  Very inexpensive to shoot and can add movement to the stage. Background is heavy brush and a hillside.

• 1 year later...

There are a few benefits of dryfiring outside in my opinion. There is more space for more movement and distance of the targets. I think is very beneficial to have your targets at different depths to train your eyes to change focal depths fast. Also, dryfiring with full size targets at true distances is slightly different than simulating distance.

• 5 months later...