Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

On 5/10/2020 at 10:36 AM, ddc said:

So just an idle thought while drinking the morning cup a joe...

People have been known to take a mallet and a block of wood and "tune" the guidepin. 

Granted Dillon should (and I assume they will) send out a replacement.

But if they don't ask for it back then you might be able to tweak it enough so it could be used.

My first call in this a.m. ,  they said tune it with a mallet. Common issue. So I got to work with layout fluid and a mallet and dowel. I  got it better - but still not right. I called in a second time to request a new toolhead. I was tired of beating on my brand new 1100 with a mallet. They would not send one. Instead they'll send a label, I can send the old one in, they'll work on it, send it back.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

My first call in this a.m. ,  they said tune it with a mallet. Common issue. So I got to work with layout fluid and a mallet and dowel. I  got it better - but still not right. I called in a second time to request a new toolhead. I was tired of beating on my brand new 1100 with a mallet. They would not send one. Instead they'll send a label, I can send the old one in, they'll work on it, send it back.

I really hate to hear that this is the direction Dillon is wanting to take with your new machine!  I'm wondering if it would be worth one more call......my reason is that I happened to notice this on DILLON'S BILL of RIGHTS FOR RELOADERS as posted in the Blue Press on page 4:

5.  Right to he Heard YOU THE CUSTOMER should have the right to speak to someone of authority anytime you can't get satisfaction through normal channels.  If our sales representatives aren't able to help you, our supervisors have a mandate to take customer-satisfaction issues all the way to the owner of the company if necessary.

IMO, that's pretty strong statement that's in writing..........

3 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

Maybe they don't have a 'spare' toolhead since it sounds like all the parts coming in are allocated to presses to be shipped out.

Nolan

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

Maybe they don't have a 'spare' toolhead since it sounds like all the parts coming in are allocated to presses to be shipped out.

Nolan

I dunno. When I ordered a spare, I got noticed it was shipping that day.

5 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

I really hate to hear that this is the direction Dillon is wanting to take with your new machine!  I'm wondering if it would be worth one more call......my reason is that I happened to notice this on DILLON'S BILL of RIGHTS FOR RELOADERS as posted in the Blue Press on page 4:

IMO, that's pretty strong statement that's in writing..........

Yeah. I've got a 650 and 550, and this is the first time I've ever had any answer other than 'parts are on the way'. 

1 hour ago, OptimiStick said:

Yeah. I've got a 650 and 550, and this is the first time I've ever had any answer other than 'parts are on the way'. 

2 year warranty. Doesn’t sound like it to me. Sounds like they decide what’s a warranty issue with the commercial grade presses 1050&1100. Or maybe the warranty is bs when it comes to the expensive stuff. The small pieces they send out like nothing. Makes you wonder. 

yeah, the only difference is the ratchet - which I remove anyway. 

When I called in the two times , I spoke to a different rep each time. They both said the same thing 'oh on all my 1050 toolheads I have to align the guidepin with a mallet'. I kinda thought that was odd, but not having a 1050 before -  What do I know? Okay, no problem. I told the first guy i'd give it a shot and call back in if I had problems. After I worked on it a while, I got it a little better - I can get it to go into the toolhead without grinding, but it catches on the way back out about 1/3 of the way down. When I talked to the second guy, he said he had 6 toolheads and all of them required mallet work to get it aligned. I  said ' I hear you, but I've been at it for a while now, and I just can't get it straight, and I'm tired of beating on my brand new expensive never-worked-right press with a hammer'. He explained 'You can go ahead and beat on it, it's not the space shuttle.'  I told him I think the pin is bent, not just misaligned in the toolhead. He basically didn't believe me, but   said he'd send a label. I'll take it off the press tomorrow and work on it. I'm not going to hammer it anymore while it's at the top of the ram stroke. I'm worried I'll end up with far worse than a bent guidepin.

Also I told him that I had discovered the missing locator pins and tabs Friday night, when I called in Saturday, it was outside hours. So I ordered pins and tabs online because I needed (okay, wanted) them quickly. I had the order #  - could they credit that or part of that back. I had also written an email to tech support when I ordered them with the same message, listing out original order and the follow-up order # for the missing parts. The guy on the phone said no, I would have had to call them first. Wasn't what I was hoping for, but I was impatient so is what it is.  Got a response to my email this evening that said 'No charge part(s) on the way! '. 

So I guess it just depends on who you talk to.

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

With the S1050 AND RL1100 using the same toolhead, it would surprise me that Dillon did not have a spare toolhead for a Customer's valid request!

🤔

The tool heads are different. The 1100 toolhead is cast differently with different material. That’s why it has the look of a more cnc piece of metal. Both will interchange on both presses bug they are different in the process of how they are made and the strength and look of them. 1100 toolhead also a little heavier and beefier side by side comparison. I have both and they are different. 

4 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

The tool heads are different. The 1100 toolhead is cast differently with different material. That’s why it has the look of a more cnc piece of metal. Both will interchange on both presses bug they are different in the process of how they are made and the strength and look of them. 1100 toolhead also a little heavier and beefier side by side comparison. I have both and they are different. 

Thanks for that info!  I see that the 1100 and S1050 have totally different part numbers too.

👍

1 hour ago, Ghost7tactical said:

Gee all these little issues makes me hope mine will be fine when it ever gets here. I'm at 7 1/2 weeks of waiting and being on the east coast just adds to the time if something is wrong.

Mine is perfect only was missing couple small parts. Way smoother than my 1050 with the bearing and low mass detent ball upgrade. It’s really surprised me how much smoother it was. 

14 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Ah, I didn't know that. When I was shopping for an extra toolhead, it just said they were interchangeable except for the ratchets - so I assumed they were the same. Good to know. Glad I ordered the 1100 one. Price was the same I think.

9 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Mine is perfect only was missing couple small parts. Way smoother than my 1050 with the bearing and low mass detent ball upgrade. It’s really surprised me how much smoother it was. 

I've never had a 1050. Just 550, 650, and Evolution and Revolution. But the bearing and detent, starlight, and ratchet removal were done before I even finished setting it up. For smoothness I can't tell until I fix this guidepin. But it's smooth with no toolhead on it :)

15 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

When I called in the two times , I spoke to a different rep each time. They both said the same thing 'oh on all my 1050 toolheads I have to align the guidepin with a mallet'. I kinda thought that was odd, but not having a 1050 before -  What do I know? Okay, no problem. I told the first guy i'd give it a shot and call back in if I had problems. After I worked on it a while, I got it a little better - I can get it to go into the toolhead without grinding, but it catches on the way back out about 1/3 of the way down. When I talked to the second guy, he said he had 6 toolheads and all of them required mallet work to get it aligned. I  said ' I hear you, but I've been at it for a while now, and I just can't get it straight, and I'm tired of beating on my brand new expensive never-worked-right press with a hammer'. He explained 'You can go ahead and beat on it, it's not the space shuttle.'  I told him I think the pin is bent, not just misaligned in the toolhead. He basically didn't believe me, but   said he'd send a label. I'll take it off the press tomorrow and work on it. I'm not going to hammer it anymore while it's at the top of the ram stroke. I'm worried I'll end up with far worse than a bent guidepin.

I've had to adjust the guide pin on 2 of my tool heads.  One just took a couple of taps with a rubber hammer.  The other one was like your's, I finally used a piece of tight fitting heavy wall pipe that was about 2 foot long to adjust it about 1 inch down from the tool head.  Since they were bought as individual parts, I just figured that was normal tuning.

Nolan

Another option is an aftermarket toolhead.

The one available from Ammobot, "CNC toolhead", has the location over the priming station threaded for a die. 

Standard die threading.

I recently picked one up and the pins were dead-nuts on.

I've just started to use it. Using that "extra" station with the Lee Universal Expander die with the guts replaced by an MBF powder funnel.

(So I've moved my MBF powder funnel from the powder measure and replace it with the Dillon universal case actuator or whatever they call it.)

Probably also provides a bit of "primer hold down". I know some are interested in that.

Space is a bit tight as the primer column is right there. The Lee die fits ok but a Lyman M die would require a bit of clearance work.

41 minutes ago, ddc said:

The one available from Ammobot, "CNC toolhead", has the location over the priming station threaded for a die. 

Standard die threading.

I've just started to use it. Using that "extra" station with the Lee Universal Expander die with the guts replaced by an MBF powder funnel.

(So I've moved my MBF powder funnel from the powder measure and replace it with the Dillon universal case actuator or whatever they call it.)

Probably also provides a bit of "primer hold down". I know some are interested in that.

Space is a bit tight as the primer column is right there. The Lee die fits ok but a Lyman M die would require a bit of clearance work.

thanks for that info!

👍

51 minutes ago, ddc said:

Standard die threading.

Yeah. I looked at that one when I bought the extra toolhead. Cost wasn't much more than Dillons. But they were out of stock.

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

I've had to adjust the guide pin on 2 of my tool heads.  One just took a couple of taps with a rubber hammer.  The other one was like your's, I finally used a piece of tight fitting heavy wall pipe that was about 2 foot long to adjust it about 1 inch down from the tool head.  Since they were bought as individual parts, I just figured that was normal tuning.

Nolan

Yeah, looks like Dillon figures that too. I was able to get it a little better, but I need to take it off the press to really work it the rest of the way. Good idea with the pipe. Mines been mallet + dowel rod so far. 

Man oh man am I snake bit. The 1100 is for .40 and my 650 for low volume 9mm.  I went to.load some 9mm to test out the new Alpha funnel, and my MBF stopped working.  Had to steal the one from my 1100 until I can get a new wiring harness.   I’ve been problem free for months, but apparently they were all just laying low to pounce on me this week.  

Ordered my RL1100 right before the world went stupid, decided to finally venture down the reloading road... then BAM, everything is panic bought in days. Ordered March 10, currently at a little over 9 weeks. Ordered through a local shop, who's supplier is Graf's, was hoping to see it by memorial day but not gonna hold my breath. I'll just continue to unload ammo until it gets here. Thankfully I bought a fair amount of components (primer, powder, projectiles) when I ordered the press. 

9 minutes ago, jakefromstatefarm said:

Ordered my RL1100 right before the world went stupid, decided to finally venture down the reloading road... then BAM, everything is panic bought in days. Ordered March 10, currently at a little over 9 weeks. Ordered through a local shop, who's supplier is Graf's, was hoping to see it by memorial day but not gonna hold my breath. I'll just continue to unload ammo until it gets here. Thankfully I bought a fair amount of components (primer, powder, projectiles) when I ordered the press. 

I have been waiting 8 months, so, good luck. 

On 5/12/2020 at 1:46 PM, ddc said:

Standard die threading.