Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Legal?

RayKu

I have been pouring through the threads looking for the answer to this questio to no avail. I am sure Merlin or someone else will find a thread in a second. Going through Springfield Custom Shops information made me wonder whether their "extreme funnel magwell" for the XD which I believe is picured in the XD catalog is legal for production.

I know many people will say that at the very least it goes against the spirit of production, but this was what I was thinking.

1) the factory offers the magwell to the public, and

2) the xd is on the list so no production number is required.

I have heard there was some issues with another manufacturer's production gun with magwell (at World Shoot?), but I never heard the final result.

My 2 cents: if our sport is leading manufacturers to rethink pistol design and offer smarter, faster, production pistols than bravo everyone wins including production shooters. :D While we are at it, now that factory mags go to "eleven" or more, shouldn't the 10 round limit be changed? :lol:

The Tanfoglio Stock Custom was taken off the IPSC and USPSA approved list because of the factory magwell and I believe there was some issue with the HK factory jet funnel magwell..

so based off those two decisions I would think the Springfield version would be not allowed.

Thanks guys that is what I thought. When the option only appears through the custom shop, I think it is a little weak to call something factory production though that should be clarified in the rules. It will be interesting to see however if manufacturers start to offer magwells more regularly. Frankly, if I were leo or military, I would much prefer a magwell in the event I had to do a mag change under fire.

• 2 weeks later...

The XD is already a single action gun in a double action division, how much more of an advantage are you looking for? :P Oh yea, thats right, USPSA won't require the 5 lb min trigger rule either, so you've got another advantage there too. :lol: And they say Corporate sponsorship doesn't influence decisions, ha ha.

YES, the 10 rnd limit on production should be done away with.

This is pretty much a dead horse so let's get off or move where it does not apply.

Since I really haven't had a change to thump this particular carcass I will add a thump or two. I would be all for removing the capacity limit IF they also implemented Minor/Major scoring, otherwise I think 9mm would drowned production even more than it already does. That said I like the 10 round limit, as I get to reload more often (I'm serious I like reloading) hence the reason I shoot L-10 and soon to be shooting revolver.

Rambling

mcb

Opinions are much like noses, most people have one. However having actually been in the BOD meetings for the last 3 years, and listened to and participated in a good amount of discussion about Production Division in general and the XD in particular, I can give you my word that sponsorship was absolutely never, I repeat never mentioned in any way what so ever.

People are free to believe what they wish though, and yes, I admit it, I was the mystery man on the grassy knoll in Dallas.

Gary

Coming in from an IPSC perspective, the one thing good about your 10-round limit is that it allows other calibers to be competitive. More gun options.

Remove the round count limit and everyone (or at least most of the competitive dudes) will almost exclusively go to the 9mm to maximize capacity. ;)

Besides hurting those of us that only shoot a 40 in Prod (and don't have a 9) it would also $u<k for the folks that still live in states where the ban hasn't been lifted.

Edited by j2fast

Why should the limit be lifted?  Would that not make it basicly the 9mm division?

mcb

And that would be a problem how? You can shoot major if you want, just be scored minor. If production goes major/minor then minor will pretty much be pointless, kind of like shooting minor in L10, Limited and Open.

Hmmm... But at least with Limited if a shooter choose to shoot minor they can get a few more rounds in a legal magazine than you can with a major gun. If production does not have a magazine limit then there is no compensation for shooting major or even a larger caliber than 9mm loaded down to Minor PF since if it is all scored minor the 9mm minimizes recoil and maximizes capacity.

I would think that with the rules of production it could be a division were minor might have the advantage over the major for some shooters and stages. Most 9mm Factory magazines hold 16+ rounds most 40 caliber factory magazines hold 12+ rounds. Seems like a fair trade off to me. Minor scoring with over 25% more ammunition in the magazine. I think production could make minor competitive with major.

<_<

mcb

I would think that with the rules of production it could be a division were minor might have the advantage over the major for some shooters and stages.  Most 9mm Factory magazines hold 16+ rounds most 40 caliber factory magazines hold 12+ rounds.  Seems like a fair trade off to me.  Minor scoring with over 25% more ammunition in the magazine.  I think production could make minor competitive with major.

If that were true, you would already see such things in Limited ... I really don't see too many people shooting minor in Limited, at least not intentionally!

In the last Worldshoot, I re-calculated the Production shooters' HF's and scored them major. In the upper tiers of competition, it does offer a significant advantage (for that match anyway). But not enough to win over the performance of TGO.

Now I did wonder, however, how things would have changed IF the Prod shooters knew they were scoring major and shot accordingly....