Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington Competition Master Owners

rwmagnus

Okay I've read as much stuff as I could find on the Rem Comp Mstr shotgun. I'd like to hear from those who use it ....

1 How happy are you with it?

2. How dissatisfied are you with it?

3. What features do you like / dislike on it?

4. What did you change on it from the factory configuration?

5. Using hind sight, would you stick with this gun if you had it to do over again (assuming it was still in production)? If not what would you use?

I'm looking for a shotgun to shoot in 3 Gun and shotgun/pistol matches. I have no intention of shooting anything Open Class.

I got my CM about two months ago. It was NIB and cost me $750. Not too bad. I am just starting out in 3 gun and it shoots as fast as I can. I haven't had it long enough to talk about durability. I will say that mine would not cycle the bolt when it was new. After reading on this site, I opened the gas ports up a bit and used Mobil 1 10w30 liberally on the bolt and mag tube. It works very well now. No malfunctions in over 500 rds, including reduced recoil slugs and buck and skeet loads of birdshot.

One mod I added was the EZ loader gate. Not too hard to install and makes quick loading a lot easier. Overall I think its a good deal and ready to go out of the box. I would fire about 500rd through it before I used it in competition as well as get some rubber o rings for spares. Good luck with your pic.

Tom

I have had my cm for over a year and am very happy with it. I have not and would not do any modifications to it. From what I have seen the cm guns with the most problems are the ones that have been modified. I shoot winchester AA target ammo and have never had a malfunction.

Had my CM for three years and can't say I have never had a malfunction but most of the shell hang ups were in the first 700 rounds or when I let it get very dirty. I have shot in the last three MGM Ironmen with it and it has performed very well. I have put as many as 900 to 1100 rounds through it without a cleaning. The first thing I would change on it if I bought one, would be to add a nice set of hi viz rifle sights for the long slug shots. I know many people add the EZ loader but I have no problem loading it as it came from the factory. Cody

I bought my new in box 1100CM just last week. Tonight I put about 76 shells through it in vigorous, rapid order. All I can say is WOW. 00 Buck ran like a top from the get go. The first couple of magfulls of lighter stuff caused a couple of bobbles, but once I had put about 25 rounds through the shotgun, it runs like a top with loads as mild as 3 Dr Eq 1 1/8 oz. #7 1/2 shot.

In time, I'm sure it will run fine on lighter loads than that, but the springs are brand new and stiff. I plan to leave the action locked open for a week or two and will run another 100-200 shells through it in the next few days. I've heard a new semi-auto really needs a couple of hundred rounds through before they wear-in a bit and settle down. My experience with this gun seems to bear that out... they need some runnin'!

I'm thrilled with this shotgun. So much so that I've decided to buy a couple more semi-auto shotguns.... they're just that much fun!

If you can find an 1100CM, buy it. Otherwise, Winchester's Practical Mk I is just as nice, possibly nicer! Runs on the Super X2 action which has gotten rave reviews. The 1100CM is discontinued, but the SX2 Practical is a currently available model, with a $100 rebate, in fact!

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/cat...id=016&cat=009C

I plan to buy one of the Winchester Practicals myself, not because I don't like my 1100CM, but simply because the 1100CM has introduced me to the thrill of semi-auto shotguns.... and one is just never enough! :wacko:

Edited by DHart

Originally, I placed an order for an SX2 Practical MKII. For over a year, the order never came. Called Winchester and said that production is on hold as they were researching to fix some issues from the first production. Cannot wait and decided on the 1100CM instead. I've been using it for three years now and I am very happy with it (still out shoots me). I shot some trap to break it in and clean it between 100 to 200 rounds. Did not do any mods on it and have always used Federal (Wally World special) ammo (PMC 00 bucks and Winchester full power slugs at one match) and never had any malfs whatsoever. I recently had Mr. Benny Hill do a full job on a new Benelli M2 for the 3gun nats. I'm suppose to receive it today and have this weekend to break it in and get comfy with it (never fired it at all). Honestly, since I'm not familiar with the Benelli yet and don't want to get a visit from Murphy (I trust the gun but cannot trust myself with new stuff that quickly without test driving it a few times); I just might end up using the 1100CM at the nats. But that will be decided on tomorrow when I shoot the M2 (planning to put 100 rounds through it).

Ralph... did you get the 1100CM you found? I'm confident you're going to really love it. Will I use any of my S&W revos at 3-gun? Kinda doubt it, but ya never know! I've never tried nor even been to a 3-gun match, so I've got some prep to do to get into it. I'm thinking about getting a training DVD just to give myself a good overview. I'm excited to try it. By the time I do, probably next spring, my 1100CM will be very well worn-in. By tonight I'll have about 100 rounds through it and I've only had a few days! I can't believe how fun it is to shoot this thing.

Edited by DHart

Ralph... did you get the 1100CM you found?  I'm confident you're going to really love it.  Will I use any of my S&W revos at 3-gun?  Kinda doubt it, but ya never know!  I've never tried nor even been to a 3-gun match, so I've got some prep to do to get into it. I'm thinking about getting a training DVD just to give myself a good overview.  I'm excited to try it.  By the time I do, probably next spring, my 1100CM will be very well worn-in.  By tonight I'll have about 100 rounds through it and I've only had a few days! I can't believe how fun it is to shoot this thing.

Not yet but I have a deal working on one by the end of the month. I think this would be a very good gun. I've had 870's and 1100's in the past. Right now I'm down to a 12ga Winchester 1400 and a 20ga over and under. Revolvers have been my THING for the past two years but I'd like to do some shotgun matches or pistol/shotgun. I've never shot 3 Gun although at my last IPSC match they ran one simutaneously with ours. CA is a tough state for 3 Gun matches due to magazine and firearm restrictions.

I'd suggest looking into Matt Burkett's videos. He is working on a shotgun one now. His instructional and video quality is very good.

At Front Sight we did a man on man pistol to pistol then witnessed a MoM pistol vs shotgun. The shotgun smoked the pistol shooter. The only hard shot was the first hostage shot and the shotgunner held off enough to smoke the plate then dust the final two at 20 yards. I agree the shotgun has some awesome power. Id be interested if you feel opening up the gas port is necessary once it's broken in.

Ralph... thanks... I'll look into the Burkett videos.

Right off the bat, my 1100CM ran flawlessly with 00 buck, but would not cycle 2 3/4 Dr eq 1 oz shot at all... not enough poop in the shells to even cycle the bolt. SO I graduated to 3 dr. eq. 1 1/8 oz. shot....

The first few magazines full of that fodder (3 dr eq 1 1/8 oz.) I put in the 1100 resulted in two incomplete ejections, but after the gun had fired about 25 rounds or so, it cycled those same light-ish loads effortlessly. I then went to 3 1/4 dr eq. 1 1/8 oz. #6 shot (Estate) and the gun runs perfectly on that stuff and anything heavier than that, of course.

Now at about 88 rounds through it, it will cycle 3 dr eq and 1 1/8 oz loads no problem and anything heavier. From the way its going, I don't think it'll have any problem cycling the loads I want to run in it. At this point, I have no intention of modifying it in any way (aside from having removed the barrel/mag band). As long as she runs right with 3 dr eq 1 1/8 oz shot and above, I'm a happy camper.

What I might very well do is buy a 28" barrel and mag cap for the built in mag tube to be able to convert the gun to a skeet/clays gun. Then it'll do double duty for me. Probably won't use it for home defense, however, as it just feels too long to me for that purpose.

So on the defense front, I've got two 18" FN's on the way, with short 13" LOP. One is the FN SLP (SX2-based self loading police) and the other is the FN Police Shotgun (Win 1300-based pump gun).

Having those two very compact defense FN's, I'll have no desire to chop or otherwise create any permanent changes to the 1100CM. I read somewhere that someone observed that the 1100's which had "issues" were the ones which people had modified. So at this point, I'm planning to enjoy using my 1100CM box-stock, unless I find I must modify it for some reason.

Edited by DHart

DHart I agree break it in with 300-500 rounds to see what if anything needs changing. All I've heard is that the gas ports might need opening up a little for it to run everything. I would never think about choping the barrell either. Since you bought yours new did the side saddle, extra chokes and front sights come with it? I hear the Remington side saddle is pretty nice to reload from just woundering what your opinion is.

The good news is the used one I'm getting looks new and should be broken in but I'll still run it through the paces before changing anything.

Ralph... yes mine was totally brand new in the box with extra chokes, choke tool, extra hi-viz front site inserts in various colors, and side saddle (made by from: 3gungear.com specifically for the 1100). Still had the safety lock keys attached to the trigger guard. The side saddle is still sealed in it's own packaging, I haven't put it on yet... but will undoubtedly do that at some point. I'm up to 94 shells through it now. Have been storing it with the slide locked back to relieve the stiffness of the recoil spring a little. I cleaned it before I fired it, but haven't cleaned it since... figure I'll let it go to 200 rounds or so before I clean it... just to see how it does. Unless it lets me know it wants a cleaning before that. Great shotgun!post-6619-1128814737_thumb.jpg

Ralph... yes mine was totally brand new in the box with extra chokes, choke tool, extra hi-viz front site inserts in various colors, and side saddle (made by from: 3gungear.com specifically for the 1100). Still had the safety lock keys attached to the trigger guard. The side saddle is still sealed in it's own packaging, I haven't put it on yet... but will undoubtedly do that at some point.  I'm up to 94 shells through it now.  Have been storing it with the slide locked back to relieve the stiffness of the recoil spring a little.  I cleaned it before I fired it, but haven't cleaned it since... figure I'll let it go to 200 rounds or so before I clean it... just to see how it does. Unless it lets me know it wants a cleaning before that. Great shotgun!post-6619-1128814737_thumb.jpg

Yep I'd run it dirty ans long as it functions. Let the moving parts lap a little bit then clean it up and your good to go. I need to confirm all the accessories are with the gun I'm buying, my gues s is they are. I know there are a couple upgrades already done to it. By the end of the month I should be all set. Really looking forward to it. Today I saw dome shotguns in action as we had another 3 Gun running with the IPSC match, sure looks like fun. You wouldn't think you could miss with a shotgun but I saw competitor one after another do just that. Last week I made progress then this week my head was out of it, go figure. IPSC revolver is a whole new ball game, soooo many moving parts.

I've had my cm for two years and love it. I did have some problems with wal-mart, economy 100 pak winchester shells, they sometimes would hang up and not extract, these are the only shells I've had problems with. Slugs and low recoil slugs work without problems. I did read in this forum to make sure it's well lubed, and I do that, and I change the o ring about every 500-600 rounds, otherwise it's run real good and shoots as fast as I can.

Okay I've read as much stuff as I could find on the Rem Comp Mstr shotgun. I'd like to hear from those who use it ....

1  How happy are you with it?

2. How dissatisfied are you with it?

3. What features do you like / dislike on it?

4. What did you change on it from the factory configuration?

5. Using hind sight, would you stick with this gun if you had it to do over again (assuming it was still in production)? If not what would you use?

I'm looking for a shotgun to shoot in 3 Gun and  shotgun/pistol matches. I have no intention of shooting anything Open Class.

1. Very happy.

2. Not at all.

3. All except for the side saddle.

4. Nothing, other than not using the side saddle since I shoot left shouldered and the side saddle interfers with my grip.

5. Yes. I bought it for shooting in Limited or Tactical and it worked/works right out of the box without me having to do anything to it.

I bought it NIB because it was "race ready" right out of the box. I have an ordinary 1100 for Open and if I were to list the things I have done to make it race ready this post would have to be several pages long. All in all, it was one of my better gun purchases.

Sam Spiteri

Great for 3-gun. The only issue my CM has is sometimes it does not pick up the next shell after firing a Remington Reduced Recoil slug. It does not fail very often and usually picks up the slugs fine. This has happened twice, during matches, of course.

I usually shoot 1 1/8 oz, 3 1/4 dr birdshot, which can be found around here for around 3.29/25. I do not seek out the lowest cost Walmart promotional loads, so I do not know if those run in the gun.

Lee

Saw Matt's shotgun video was mentioned. He is currently in editing and is cleaning it up as we speak. It should be out in a couple of weeks. I got to see some snippets of the action as he was editing and it looks to be as good or better than his other dvd's. This one will have John Paul and Buchanan (sp?) in it. He said it was shaping up to be close to 4 hours.

Shooter may remove credit card..

Shooter ready...

Standby........

Steven

I have 2 1100 CM's, one is still new in box never used. I would sell the N.I.B. one for $850 right now if anyone is intertested. I love this gun and with the proper tuing and break-in period it will run with all of the custom guns out there.

• 2 months later...

When it was new ran great,button still not big enough on loading gate.

Added east loader,ran good for a while then,Intermittant cycling troubles.

Wont lock open empty,wont cycle.

I changed gas rings,o rings,scrubbed the gun clean,drilled out gas ports and finnally

after a nightmare at Bill Rogers school and zeroing my last stage at a night match as soon as the range was called clear.I offered it up to the first 500 bucks and i saw a hand go up in the crowd "SOLD"!

Goodby,Good riddance!

I'll give Benelli a try.

The guy i sold it to says he loves it.God bless and good luck B)

Very very UNHAPPY with mine!! I cant get it to cycle anything reliably (Walmart cheapy, Win AA, or Federal target loads). Sometimes wont fully eject, other times bolt locks back when not empty, other times bolt releases but doesnt fully go fwd. Between 200-300 rds so far and put in a stronger mag spring, new o-ring, aluminum follower, and oil the crap out of it... all to no avail. Anyone with any suggestions please chime in...

I have had mine for about 5 months. It is set up for open. I have ported the barrel, added a speed gate, opened the gas ports, reduced the recoil spring. The gun would not run the light loads consistantly...I took the gun apart and polished the rails, mag tube and made sure there were no rough spots anywhere on the internals. The gun now runs flawlessly with whatever ammo I shoot. I really like the weight and balance of the gun over several others I have tried.

I have one (1100) in 20 ga and it works great. Had it magna ported, put a 10 round tube on it and speed loader. Red dot sight and at the first match I was 9th out of 55 shooters. My last match I shot had some troulbe with slugs, but drilled out the gas holes and it runs anything that I put into it.

Gene

I have had mine for about 6 months now and I have to say I really like this shotgun. I got it used for $600 off of ARF.com. I have run 2 3/4 and 3 dram, 1 and 1 1/8 oz. loads through it and it runs them all. It is even running fine with some 20+ year old Federal field loads my dad dug out of his closet for me. The only problem I am having now is coming up with enough cash to feed all of my guns. 3 guns= 3 times the ammo!