Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 Moons

FWSixgunner

On 6/2/2020 at 4:17 PM, BHBret said:

Based on the advice of the great folks at UniqueTek I tried their Ranch Product 45 ACP moonclips making certain that the smooth side of the clip was against the rim and the stamping curl was pointing towards the bullet end and it works great. Some of the clips were difficult to impossible to used if the clip was flipped the other way.

Who knew? (Ok, probably all the Ranch Products fans on this thread).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stamped moon clips have a rounded edge where the die first contacts the material and a squared edge where the die exits to make the cut.  If the die set is not sharp then rough edges can be left on exit.  Some manufactures tumble their moon clips to remove these rough edges.  We do not.  When the die gets to this point it's time to clean up the die and start making good moon clips again.

The other issue is warp and twist.  We inspect our moon clips for flatness and have a yield of about 50%.  Most manufacturers do not go to this trouble.  Our moon clips work well either side up.  Being superstitious I load mine with the rounded edge facing the bullets.  But that's just me.

When I still shot my 625, I mainly used the stamped moons from Brownells and Wilson.  I am guessing they were made by Ranch and repackaged.

Before the 8 shot minor became a thing I had switched over to 45 GAP to keep from having to deal with large and small primers.  Turns out the rim of the ACP and GAP are different.  So I bought a ton of TK GAP moons.  Absolutely incredible quality.

Edited by Tom Freeman

19 hours ago, GMM50 said:

Stamped moon clips have a rounded edge where the die first contacts the material and a squared edge where the die exits to make the cut.  If the die set is not sharp then rough edges can be left on exit.  Some manufactures tumble their moon clips to remove these rough edges.  We do not.  When the die gets to this point it's time to clean up the die and start making good moon clips again.

The other issue is warp and twist.  We inspect our moon clips for flatness and have a yield of about 50%.  Most manufacturers do not go to this trouble.  Our moon clips work well either side up.  Being superstitious I load mine with the rounded edge facing the bullets.  But that's just me.

In my 45 moon clips I'm the same way a bit OCD!

I start all matches with band aids on my trigger finger.  Helps prevent the blistering.
Trigger finger?

Loading strong hand, my left middle finger gets forcing cone burns. I usually remember to tape that finger before the second stage of the day.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

9 hours ago, PatJones said:

Trigger finger?

Loading strong hand, my left middle finger gets forcing cone burns. I usually remember to tape that finger before the second stage of the day.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

The only times that happens to me is 1) a really long, intensive COF or 2) a powder such as Titegroup (why I like Clays/ClayDot in my Revolvers) And a very hot day.

Maybe I just don't shoot fast enough, so the gun cools down before I get to that point? 🤣🤣🤣 Seriously though never saw JM with taped fingers?  But shaking hands did show some tough, calloused hands.  

9 hours ago, PatJones said:

Trigger finger?

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

So that's what did it to my left middle finger!!

Im left handed, so my righthand thumb goes thru the frame to support weight of revolver, and top strap/forcing cone area rest on the bottom big joint of my thumb. If it's a stage with two or more reloads and fast shooting, Ive indeed had what I'd call "soft burns" in that area.

The only times that happens to me is 1) a really long, intensive COF or 2) a powder such as Titegroup (why I like Clays/ClayDot in my Revolvers) And a very hot day.
Maybe I just don't shoot fast enough, so the gun cools down before I get to that point? [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] Seriously though never saw JM with taped fingers?  But shaking hands did show some tough, calloused hands.  
I shoot the Rocky Mountain 300 with a Revo each year. It's one of those level one matches with double sized stages. On the faster stages you're shooting 65 rounds thru a revo in 45 seconds or so. The forcing cone melts the outer layer of medical tape on my finger and the cylinder gets so hot it hurts to hold it.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592