Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 Moons

FWSixgunner

I've got 625 moon clips from a variety of sources, including Ranch Products and others I can't remember the name of, and so far haven't run across any bad ones.  I can load all of them without tools, though a tool helps demoon, and they all allow for easy reloads.

I use nothing but TK Custom. I bought a large of inexpensive poorly stamped moonclips and they would bind the cylinder. No issues with the TK’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do TKs require a mooning tool, and are they persnickety about what kind of brass?

I've run their .40s for a GP100 and almost had to stand on em to get them in wo a tool.

Ranch Product makes great moons for the 625s. They are inexpensive but last forever.  You don't need tight moons for the 625.  It's still the fastest loading revolver even if the bullets juggle just a little.  Just remember to use round nose bullets.

Do TKs require a mooning tool, and are they persnickety about what kind of brass?

I've run their .40s for a GP100 and almost had to stand on em to get them in wo a tool.

No problems with brass. I do use a BMT mooner/demooner because it’s way sooo cool!

I have been using the Ranch Products in my 625 for many years, they are the best value for the buck and seem to fit all 625s without problems. As mentioned above they will work with most brass.   A local shooter picked up some moon clips from a well known builder of 1911s that were totally unsuitable, he sent them back and ordered from Ranch, no problems since.  A few years ago I started loading my match ammo with Winchester brass as they were slightly tighter than other brands.

Ranch Product users, are your moon clips flat across the surface? Mine have a lip around all the edges as though the punching die may have been worn. The result is that they are effectively thicker than they should be. The TK Custom clips are smooth all the across the face of the clip without a lip on the edges. I filed the lip off of one of the clips but it was a pain. If your Ranch clips are smooth I will contact Ranch and see if there is something they can do.

Yesz the ranch product moon clips that I bought all have lips, which made them bind up my 625. I figured I could sand them down, but at least than 3 bucks a piece I would rather just buy TK blued clips and be done with it.

• 2 months later...

Anyone notice more or less flexibility or stiffness between Ranch Products, Revolver Supply and TK? They are all the same thickness and I'm having a hard time understanding why the TKs are so much more that the others. Especially the stainless steel ones at about $8 a piece. I'll gladly pay it if there is a value to be had in it. What am I missing?

Moon Clips are made from "spring steel" same as knife blades.  And when they are stamped they are as flat as con be.

Next they are heat treated.  That's where the fun begins.  Some curl up like a potato chip.  And the exact process (time and temp and quench) leaves then stiff.

We try for a rockwell hardness to measure the hardness/stiffness.  Then we test for flatness.

Dimensions come from military drawings for the Model 1917.

When we get a bad batch we destroy them.

But I've seen some 0.050 thick (should be 0.040) sold at gun shows now and again.

20 hours ago, 9X23Guy said:

GMM50, thanks for the great explanation. I'm going to give Revolver Supply a try.

All the vendors make great 45ACP moon clips.  Design comes down from the military so just need to follow the details.

The differences come in after the part is made and start with incoming inspection from the vendor and ends with a sale to the final user.

Edited by GMM50
clatiry

Based on the advice of the great folks at UniqueTek I tried their Ranch Product 45 ACP moonclips making certain that the smooth side of the clip was against the rim and the stamping curl was pointing towards the bullet end and it works great. Some of the clips were difficult to impossible to used if the clip was flipped the other way.

Who knew? (Ok, probably all the Ranch Products fans on this thread).

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2020 at 3:17 PM, BHBret said:

Based on the advice of the great folks at UniqueTek I tried their Ranch Product 45 ACP moonclips making certain that the smooth side of the clip was against the rim and the stamping curl was pointing towards the bullet end and it works great. Some of the clips were difficult to impossible to used if the clip was flipped the other way.

Who knew? (Ok, probably all the Ranch Products fans on this thread).

That sounds like a work around a problem that should not exist.  I would try EDM cut clips!

That sounds like a work around a problem that should not exist.  I would try EDM cut clips!

Very unnecessary. Bought in bulk, stamped clips cost 50 cents each and EDM clips offer no performance advantage in 45 ACP

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592