Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 gen 5. basic mods suggestions

MFM22

My 3 gun setup> Dawson Precision sights, Jager SS guide rod, IMSI 13# spring, TTI grandmaster trigger kit.  Nothing wrong with tungsten if you want it that I know of..

The Gen 5 guide rods are different dimensionally.  The stock gen 5 RSA did not run 130 PF ammo well on 2 Gen 5 34's that we have. I can run a IMSI 11# spring  (prefer a 13#)  in the Gen 3 guns (34's) but not in the Gen 5's, they won't go into battery well.

I'm making these recommendations on the assumption you want to compete with your g34.

So the heaviest tunsgten guide rod you can buy right now is from Glockstore at 3.4oz but it requires proprietary springs.  I wasn't really impressed with the quality of the machining for the price, so I made myself a 5.4oz tungsten guide rod just to see what would happen.  
https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/280817-super-heavy-guide-rod-experiment-54oz/?tab=comments#comment-3127892

I think the best bang for your buck is the un-captured extended "heavy" steel guide rod from Jager.  http://jagerproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=114
It's .270" in diameter (vs .230") and extends slightly into the tunnel under the front sight.  It uses an adapter ring for gen 4/5 and requires larger diameter round-wire springs from Wolff.  They operate muuuuuch smoother than flat-wire springs, and I've found Wolff springs to be more consistent and closer to advertised spring rate (withing 0.5 lb) than ISMI.  While ISMI springs may last longer, I still change recoil springs every 5k rounds since Glock recommends 3k for gen3 springs and 4-6k rounds for dual-spring RSAs.

The Jager steel rods are hardened with a tough black finish.  I think it's black nitride, because when I tried to shorten one on a lathe, I had to use carbide inserts to get a clean cut.

The extra few oz from tungsten is noticeable, but I think being able to fine tune recoil springs to your chosen load is more advantageous.  Also, I notice having to "muscle" the extra weight of the gun during long transitions and having to be mindful not to overswing past the A-zone.  Finally, tungsten, even 90% alloys are still quite brittle compared to hardened steel.  I had a tungsten DoubleDiamond rod in a G19 gen3 shear off at the base during a course of fire.  It had about 6k rounds on it.

On 2/25/2020 at 9:25 AM, MFM22 said:

Thanks , so I should leave stock springs for now ?   where / what  tungsten rod for gen 5 -  it looks like its a 2pc instead of just rod  

I personally can’t really tell much difference, if any, between steel (jaeger) and tungsten (Glock Store). I use the tungsten with a 13# recoil spring.

I installed a TTI trigger kit. There was an issue with getting me trigger safety tab to clear the frame. I can’t remember what I did to solve that issue. Sorry. 

Best advice would to order some combination of trigger parts/recoil assembly stuff and roll from there. Don’t worry about it. It’s not gonna matter much, IMO. I’m the worlds worst at thinking X may be better than Y. It’s not! 

On 2/26/2020 at 9:11 PM, MFM22 said:

I'd roll with a heavier guide rod and switch springs ... But there doesn't seem to be a plug n play Rod for the gen 5. 34 ?

There is.

The G17.5 rods will fit just fine.  Jager has setups ready to go.

I too use the Glock store extended Tungsten rods and have had good success with them.  My 34.5 is a very soft shooting gun.  I do find that the slide is a little bit "sluggish" with the 13 lb ismi compared to my jager equipped 34.5 with a 14 lb spring.

Your mileage may vary.  Part of the fun is trying different setups so have at it.  Ask some guys at your local club if you can check out their guns.

1 hour ago, Magsz said:

There is.

The G17.5 rods will fit just fine.  Jager has setups ready to go.

I too use the Glock store extended Tungsten rods and have had good success with them.  My 34.5 is a very soft shooting gun.  I do find that the slide is a little bit "sluggish" with the 13 lb ismi compared to my jager equipped 34.5 with a 14 lb spring.

Your mileage may vary.  Part of the fun is trying different setups so have at it.  Ask some guys at your local club if you can check out their guns.

Thanks , will look into Jager